Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (27 June 2024) - US/Israel in talks to supply 8 Patriot systems to Ukraine

I've had MSNBC on so much in the background now that it's moved to the 3rd spot in my most watched channel list on YouTube TV.

I'll be honest, I prefer the coverage here by leaps and bounds, but with all the uncertainty, I've just had the channel running in the background to keep myself informed of in case of breaking news popping up.

3 minutes ago, silentbob said:

I apologize.

This was posted on my redflagforum political board section, and I should only stick to our sources here. I really mean this and not being condescending. Although this shit was sadly real today near Toronto today, kid scratched up a little but man was arrested about an hour later (known to have a severe mental illness)

news_avatar.jpg
WWW.YRP.CA

MAN CHARGED FOLLOWING POTENTIAL HATE-MOTIVATED INCIDENT IN VAUGHAN

mag-ap21357380163362-1-1.jpg
WWW.POLITICO.COM

Putin is trying to take down the entire world order, the veteran Russia watcher said in an interview. But there are ways even ordinary Americans can fight back.

We are already, she said, in the middle of a third World War, whether we’ve fully grasped it or not.

“Sadly, we are treading back through old historical patterns that we said that we would never permit to happen again,” Hill told me.

Fiona Hill is one of the most insightful and intelligent people I've heard speak about foreign affairs, and she really shines a light on how utterly we failed to stop this from happening.

• Like 1

If accepted into the EU, it would be a good step for Ukraine.  However it probably wouldn't be as significant from a survival standpoint, compared to joining NATO - which will 99.99% not happen anytime soon.  

But I do hope that Sweden and Finland join NATO as soon as possible

17 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

If accepted into the EU, it would be a good step for Ukraine.  However it probably wouldn't be as significant from a survival standpoint, compared to joining NATO - which will 99.99% not happen anytime soon.  

But I do hope that Sweden and Finland join NATO as soon as possible

The "accelerated procedure" for EU membership means that Ukraine would be accepted for EU membership in less than a decade rather than more than a decade.

Have no illusions that it's going to happen in the near future.

1 hour ago, Reputator said:
WWW.POLITICO.COM

Putin is trying to take down the entire world order, the veteran Russia watcher said in an interview. But there are ways even ordinary Americans can fight back.

Fiona Hill is one of the most insightful and intelligent people I've heard speak about foreign affairs, and she really shines a light on how utterly we failed to stop this from happening.

Well I have my Potassium iodide pills in the mail to add to my end of the world kit :s

1 hour ago, Reputator said:
WWW.POLITICO.COM

I’ve kind of quipped about this but I also worry about it in all seriousness — that Putin’s been down in the archives of the Kremlin during Covid looking through old maps and treaties and all the different borders that Russia has had over the centuries. He’s said, repeatedly, that Russian and European borders have changed many times. And in his speeches, he’s gone after various former Russian and Soviet leaders, he’s gone after Lenin and he’s gone after the communists, because in his view they ruptured the Russian empire, they lost Russian lands in the revolution, and yes, Stalin brought some of them back into the fold again like the Baltic States and some of the lands of Ukraine that had been divided up during World War II, but they were lost again with the dissolution of the USSR. Putin’s view is that borders change, and so the borders of the old Russian imperium are still in play for Moscow to dominate now.

• Guillotine 1

3 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

I’ve kind of quipped about this but I also worry about it in all seriousness — that Putin’s been down in the archives of the Kremlin during Covid looking through old maps and treaties and all the different borders that Russia has had over the centuries. He’s said, repeatedly, that Russian and European borders have changed many times. And in his speeches, he’s gone after various former Russian and Soviet leaders, he’s gone after Lenin and he’s gone after the communists, because in his view they ruptured the Russian empire, they lost Russian lands in the revolution, and yes, Stalin brought some of them back into the fold again like the Baltic States and some of the lands of Ukraine that had been divided up during World War II, but they were lost again with the dissolution of the USSR. Putin’s view is that borders change, and so the borders of the old Russian imperium are still in play for Moscow to dominate now.

Feels like something out of Dr. Strangelove.

• True 2