Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (18 Sept 2024) - Ukraine destroys huge Russian ammo depot in gigantic explosion

3 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I imagine a second incursion also complicates defense for the Russians quite significantly. I guess in my head I had assumed the Russians would like... have maybe fortified their border cities with Ukraine to prevent exactly something like this from happening? It seems almost cartoonish how far and how fast the Ukrainians are moving into Russia.

Getting completely embarrassed by a much smaller military has been par for the course for Russia since this war began.

6 minutes ago, Link200 said:

Clearly there are diminishing returns with large modern militaries while on the offensive.

I don't even think it's that, I think it's more that an "offensive" with no real structured goal is doomed to fail, and invasions as a concept dramatically, drastically underestimate things like "how big a country is." Again, no war guy, but I imagine things are much different in so many ways than they were even in WW2, people aren't just gonna sit in one spot waiting to be overwhelmed, and we have ways to rapidly mobilize and move, split up, regroup, etc. It seems much harder than the old style of just going from village to village and town to town and razing it, and you do that long enough and can not succumb to attrition and you win. Hell, even in WW2 it seemed much more complex than that.

And Russia's a lot more openly brutal and barbaric about their attacks. Say what you will about American friendly fire and collateral damage, but at the very least it's not a popular move here to bombard city centers full of 99% civilians. But even with this level of open brutality, it's not enough.

I'd find it more fascinating if it wasn't so sickening and a huge, pointless waste of life for someone's little dick ego.

20 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I'm utterly flabbergasted to explain exactly what the hell is going on in Kursk Oblast at this point, both what Kyiv's objectives are with this operation and Moscow's apparent lack of urgency about it.

Analysis from Tom Cooper:

XXTOMCOOPERXX.SUBSTACK.COM

Hello everybody!

I am not even an amateur war-gamer, but what I’m imagining is the Ukrainian command sitting there, looking at intelligence that showed this stretch to be nearly deserted, and going, “What if we just…went for it?”

If anything it will draw troops away from other areas where the Ukrainians might be feeling the burn, and if Tom is right then it will take the Russian command a lot of time and effort to coordinate moving them back to where they’re needed to gain territory. 

This also shows the Russians (and the world) that Ukraine is not feeble. They are just as brave as ever, and willing to commit to what might at first seem like a foolhardy run to interrupt Russia’s complacency across the front line.  

3 minutes ago, S3xB0t said:

If anything it will draw troops away from other areas where the Ukrainians might be feeling the burn, and if Tom is right then it will take the Russian command a lot of time and effort to coordinate moving them back to where they’re needed to gain territory. 

This also shows the Russians (and the world) that Ukraine is not feeble. They are just as brave as ever, and willing to commit to what might at first seem like a foolhardy run to interrupt Russia’s complacency across the front line.  

If there's one thing I've learned, it's that complacency'll fuck ya up every time.

• True 3

Sorry, I’m having more thoughts now. If Russia is leaving stretches of its fortifications nearly undefended then what does that say about the state of their armed forces? Tom spent some time going over this in his post. The Russian war machine is gigantic, but it’s baring its rusted-out frame with shit like this going down. 

Putin is evil, but he is not dumb. I cannot imagine his commanders are either, although with the number of replacements and the state of the Russian populace as one of general dumbfuckery we can’t be sure. Do they know nothing of history? The Northern European Plain is not a place to be conquered quickly, or held with any degree of certainty. At this point in the war the effort seems all risk and little reward. Even if a truce was drawn today Russia is left with nothing but the husks of once-thriving cities. They’ll turn into the same ghettos that most Russian cities are today. 

12 minutes ago, S3xB0t said:

but he is not dumb

I think like many “once smart” people, he has surrounded himself with yes-men and sycophants (because… he kills anyone who questions him :p ) that lower his abilities and enable poor decision making.

• True 1

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

I think like many “once smart” people, he has surrounded himself with yes-men and sycophants (because… he kills anyone who questions him :p ) that lower his abilities and enable poor decision making.

Yeah, I feel like anyone can turn into a dipshit if no one ever challenges a single thought they have. Echo chambers are destructive in many ways.

Just now, Xbob42 said:

Yeah, I feel like anyone can turn into a dipshit if no one ever challenges a single thought they have. Echo chambers are destructive in many ways.

Elon Musk is a perfect example, IMO. He was never a real-life Tony Stark or whatever his fans used to think, but he wasn’t this fucking idiotic. 

37 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

A VSRF officer has identified who is clearly behind the current situation:

35f04dfe-110d-4a98-8e60-78071f2ed0d7_112

To be fair, the British do know how to invade a country. They used to be really good at it! But now they’ve been reduced to letting other countries do it for them and watching, like the tea sucking cucks they truly are.

• Sicko Sherman 2

Putin's remarks concerning the Ukrainian invasion of the Kursk region:

"The operations of the Russian armed forces, volunteers and veterans have not diminished, on the contrary, they have increased significantly—by a factor of one and a half.

The leadership of the Kiev regime is not only perpetrating crimes against the Russian people; they have, in fact, embarked on the path of total extermination of the Ukrainian people themselves, whom they seemingly no longer regard as their own.

The Ukrainian armed forces are suffering significant losses, particularly among their most combat capable units, which are now being redeployed to our border."

Source: Sputnik

I'm probably reading too much into it, but I feel as if Putin is straight up saying he will genocide Ukrainians until there are none left. 

1 hour ago, Massdriver said:

Ukraine's offensive is already far more successful than I thought it would be. 

On the surface, it does appear to have met its objectives...whatever the hell they are because I simply can't conceive of what they could be.

At some point in the immediate future, those UAF units operating in Kursk Oblast are going to need to be resupplied or rotated. both of which will be very precarious operations.

4 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

On the surface, it does appear to have met its objectives...whatever the hell they are because I simply can't conceive of what they could be.

At some point in the immediate future, those UAF units operating in Kursk Oblast are going to need to be resupplied or rotated. both of which will be very precarious operations.

How long is the average rotation? Isn't it 2-3 weeks?

WWW.PRAVDA.COM.UA

Volodymyr Zelenskyy, President of Ukraine, has held a meeting of the Staff of the Supreme Commander-in-Chief, in which he was informed about the offensive operation of the Armed Forces of Ukraine in Russia’s Kursk Oblast.

Ukraine claims to control about 1,000 square kilometers of Kursk.

If this Ukrainian invasion force brought with them Soviet arms, it would potentially make resupply easier because they'd be able to just utilize the ammunition captured from the Russian forces that have been captured or retreated. 

Just now, mclumber1 said:

If this Ukrainian invasion force brought with them Soviet arms, it would potentially make resupply easier because they'd be able to just utilize the ammunition captured from the Russian forces that have been captured or retreated. 

I remember hearing something ages ago about never using enemy weapons or ammo due to booby traps and shit. Though I guess it would depend on the circumstances. That said, the Russians were booby trapping all kinds of shit at the start of the war.

3 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I remember hearing something ages ago about never using enemy weapons or ammo due to booby traps and shit. Though I guess it would depend on the circumstances. That said, the Russians were booby trapping all kinds of shit at the start of the war.

That's true.  But considering how much of a surprise this petite invasion was, I find it doubtful that these Russian conscripts or the junior officers who were in charge of them had the wherewithal to booby trap their crates of ammunition.  

On 8/11/2024 at 2:50 PM, Spork3245 said:

IMG-9422.jpg

:daydream:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:
APNEWS.COM

Three news outlets were recently leaked confidential material from inside the Trump campaign, but have chosen not to reveal any of the details about what they received.

Notice how these news outlets have never ever previously expressed any sort of regret about how they handled things in 2016 until these Trump documents showed up.