Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (18 Sept 2024) - Ukraine destroys huge Russian ammo depot in gigantic explosion

3 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I'm rarely a doomer but at a certain point doesn't this advance run the risk of seeing a tactical nuke enter the fold?

I can't imagine Ukraine is THAT valuable to Russia. Like valuable enough to lose ALL OF RUSSIA?

This war right now is about Putin's ego.

28 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I'm rarely a doomer but at a certain point doesn't this advance run the risk of seeing a tactical nuke enter the fold?

I would think that if Russia used a tactical nuke against Ukraine, NATO would would actually enter the war against Russia.  China and india and the rest of brics would probably revoke their tepid support of Russia as well.

36 minutes ago, Chris- said:

This would require a pretty massive force entering Russia that they'd have no hope of stopping.

41 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I'd be highly surprised if the total strength of this UAF incursion exceeds more than 2,000 personnel which makes it little more than a beefed-up reconnaissance-in-force.  It's nowhere near the level the tactical nuke threshold. 

2 hours ago, Chris- said:

So you're worried Russia is going to use a tactical nuke on their own soil?

They HAVE done stupid shit in the past, but this seems too dumb even for them. 

Just now, CayceG said:

They would given a big enough invasion, but as other have said this isn't remotely big enough to trigger that.

From the Ukraine Battle Map account:

Kursk Battle Map (August 8 - 18:00)

Ukraine has liberated 27 settlements in the Kursk Region of Russia and expanded their gains to +430 sq kilometers

Some forces are reported to be around 25km to 30km inside Russia. Ukraine is using the lack of defense and geography to advance

GUeQdXNWIAQTYns?format=jpg&name=small

• Ukraine 2

MICKRYAN.SUBSTACK.COM

A quick assessment of what we know about the surprise Ukrainian assault into Russia, and what might be Ukraine’s strategic and operational objectives.

In a 1973 lecture, Sir Michael Howard described the impact of surprise, and the necessity of military institutions to prepare their people to absorb, and adapt around, surprises on the battlefield and beyond. He described how “this is an aspect of military science which needs to be studied above all others in the Armed Forces: the capacity to adapt oneself to the utterly unpredictable, the entirely unknown.”

Sir Lawrence Freedman, has written that, “a surprise attack, conceived with cunning, prepared with duplicity and executed with ruthlessness, provides international history with its most melodramatic moments.” Surprise is an important continuity in human competition and warfare. The desire to surprise an adversary is central to the Eastern and Western traditions of war.  

The aim is to shock an adversary and overwhelm them when they are their weakest or when they least expect it. That shock, and the break down in enemy cohesion and ability to effectively respond, can then be used to seize large amounts of ground and destroy significant enemy formations.

It appears that yet again, in the past few days, the Ukrainians have surprised Russia, and observers in the west, with their latest operation.

1 hour ago, CayceG said:

Nah - moreso that they'd drop one somewhere uninhabited in Ukraine to up the saber rattling and (theoretically) deter AFU from further advancement.

From the War Mapper account:

Kursk offensive update:

Ukraine is now confirmed to control at least 155 km² of Kursk Oblast.

For reference, Russia controls ~150 km² north of Kharkiv.

Advances are reported to be more extensive than shown, however, OPSEC is tight and this is all that has been verified so far.

GUfqxhFWMAA3NdS?format=jpg&name=small

A wider view for comparison of Ukraine's control of Kursk and Russia's Kharkiv incursion.

GUfsQZ1XIAACxXG?format=jpg&name=small

With all due respect, the word "control" is doing a bit of "heavy lifting" in regards to the area of Kursk Oblast in which Ukrainian forces are present.

I'm fully convinced that Ukraine intends to capture as much Russian territory as possible and (if they can hold it) use it as a bargaining chip to return (some) Ukrainian territory as part of a peace deal.  

Putin would be dumb to use a tactical nuke in retaliation for this incursion, whether that nuke was used within Russia on these Ukrainian occupiers, or within Ukraine proper, as it would almost guarantee that the entire world sans North Korea and maybe Iran would be against them.  

Also, in the Kursk region Ukraine must have moved up some air defense units, as they have been confirmed to have shot down 3 x Russian attack helicopters, and it sounds like an SU-34 today. Two of the helicopters were taken out by FPV drones that rammed into them, and a third was taken out by a MANPAD.

11 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

I mean its basic warfare stuff, hit your enemy where he isn't, Russia has apparently over-committed its forces in Ukraine and can't effectively counter.

I imagine a second incursion also complicates defense for the Russians quite significantly. I guess in my head I had assumed the Russians would like... have maybe fortified their border cities with Ukraine to prevent exactly something like this from happening? It seems almost cartoonish how far and how fast the Ukrainians are moving into Russia.

• Halal 1