Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (18 Sept 2024) - Ukraine destroys huge Russian ammo depot in gigantic explosion

43 minutes ago, CayceG said:

And six missiles... 

I'm just completely speechless. 

They do it all the time because there is no punishment. Think back to Syria, when they were destroying Alepo. The UN begged for an aid convoy. Eventually Russia agreed...and then attacked the convoy. The SAME thing happened with Donetsk in Ukraine!

There is a piece of wisdom about Russia: don't let them know where you hospitals are, your schools, your children's centres, because they will target them. And don't let the UN or the Red Cross know, because they always pass the information to Russia (Red Cross has passed info in this current war). 

WWW.CNN.COM

US military bases across Europe were placed on a heightened state of alert last week for the first time in a decade after the US received intelligence that Russian-backed actors were considering carrying out sabotage attacks against US military personnel and facilities, multiple sources familiar with the matter told CNN.

• CitizenVectron changed the title to Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (09 July 2024) - Recent heightened alerts at US bases in Europe due to intelligence of Russian sabotage threat
MEIDASNEWS.COM

WWW.JUSTICE.GOV

The Justice Department today announced the seizure of two domain names and the search of 968 social media accounts used by Russian actors to create an AI-enhanced social media bot farm that spread disinformation in the United States and abroad.

US DOJ, along with Canadian and Dutch counterparts, have shut down a 1000 twitter bot net run by the Russian government aimed at spreading unrest in the west.

5 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

ZUQFjWk.png

@Commissar SFLUFAN I'm sure has seen a lot of scrunched brows over this problem, and how the US would fare in an actual hot land war with Russia (more likely how proxies would fare, like Ukraine).

Make no mistake that the Ukraine conflict has been an absolutely eye-opening experience to many in the military/intelligence establishment at practically all levels, especially the financial imbalances involved where the precision offensive capabilities typically cost multiples of the defensive capabilities intended to counter them.

WWW.CNN.COM

Earlier this year, US intelligence discovered that the Russian government planned to assassinate the chief executive of a powerful German arms manufacturer which has been...

No biggie, Russia just trying to assassinate western CEOs. Probably should continue to limit Ukraine's munition use in Russia, otherwise Russia would be upset.

Can we rename this thread "New Cold War Discussion"? :p 

Because... We're deploying ground launched Tomahawks to Europe... Again... A thing that the Intermediate Nuclear Forces treaty killed in 1988. (Which Russia broke and is now deploying the RS-26). 

WWW.TWZ.COM

After a decades-long hiatus, American long-range missiles will return to Europe as the standoff between Moscow and NATO grows. Russia has already warned it will respond to U.S. plans to deploy longer-range ground-launched missiles in Germany.

Russia is now saying that they believe Ukraine is planning to blow up the dam near Kyiv (which would flood the city) as a false flag operation, and Russian talk shows are saying that Russia should destroy the dam. So...I assume that Russia is planning to try and blow up the dam.

• True 1

On 7/10/2024 at 1:10 PM, CitizenVectron said:

ZUQFjWk.png

@Commissar SFLUFAN I'm sure has seen a lot of scrunched brows over this problem, and how the US would fare in an actual hot land war with Russia (more likely how proxies would fare, like Ukraine).

Good discussion here about a niche for fully autonomous suicide drones with anti EW seekers. 

30:30 mark

AVIATIONWEEK.COM

Ukraine is transitioning to the “correct side of the cost curve” in its ongoing battle to deal with Russian one-way attack UAS, a senior USAF official says.

Ukraine has developed a low-cost drone detection network. Basically, they have around 9,500 sensor towers located around the country, each costing $500 or less. They acoustically detect and triangulate the location of Russian FPV drones. 

So for $4.75 million, Ukraine has a country-wide drone detection network. Crazy.

• Ukraine 3

5 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Also, relevant to the current election, Mark Kelly recently visited the airbase where Ukrainian pilots are training on F-16s...and flew one of the jets while there:

Can't imagine him facing off against Vance.

"Mr. Kelly, why are Democrats like you soyboi anti-military wokists?"

44 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Think of all the change JD Vance could find in an average pentagon couch saving U.S. taxpayers!

who do you think left the money there after a drunken night out. ;)

And speaking of the Ukraine conflict...

APNEWS.COM

According to U.S. and Ukrainian officials, Ukraine has received the first F-16 fighter jets that it has sought for months to fight back against an onslaught of Russian missile strikes.

Ukraine has received the first F-16 fighter jets that it has sought for months to fight back against an onslaught of Russian missile strikes, a U.S. official confirmed to The Associated Press.

A Ukrainian lawmaker also confirmed Ukraine had received a small number of F-16 fighter jets. The two officials spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not permitted to speak on the subject publicly.

I wish those pilots the best of luck as they're going to need it what is easily one of the most intensive A2/AD environments in the world.

• Ukraine 2
  • Hype 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (01 August 2024) - US and Ukrainian officials confirm that the first batch of F-16s has been received

I'm going to be absolutely blunt about the prospects of the utility of these F-16s in the current battlespace environment in Ukraine.

Based on discussions I've had today with both Air Force and Navy pilots who I work with at DARPA, their general feeling is that those pilots are dead men before they even strap into the cockpit, largely because of the A2/AD environment the Russians have created.  Those Falcons are going to be painted by practically every capable Russian radar the second they take off from their bases in western Ukraine and will have every available Russian fighter vectored to engage them as well as the SAMs.

Maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised, but the "professionals" I work with aren't exactly hopeful.

19 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I'm going to be absolutely blunt about the prospects of the utility of these F-16s in the current battlespace environment in Ukraine.

Based on discussions I've had today with both Air Force and Navy pilots who I work with at DARPA, their general feeling is that those pilots are dead men before they even strap into the cockpit, largely because of the A2/AD environment the Russians have created.  Those Falcons are going to be painted by practically every capable Russian radar the second they take off from their bases in western Ukraine and will have every available Russian fighter vectored to engage them as well as the SAMs.

Maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised, but the "professionals" I work with aren't exactly hopeful.

if the Russian fighters are coming into the Ukraine to engage the F16s wouldn't that put them in range of the Ukraine air defenses and all those patriots they have been getting.

5 minutes ago, elbobo said:

if the Russian fighters are coming into the Ukraine to engage the F16s wouldn't that put them in range of the Ukraine air defenses and all those patriots they have been getting.

Yes, it absolutely would.

The question then becomes if the VVS wants to take the risk to engage the Falcons.

2 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Yes, it absolutely would.

The question then becomes if the VVS wants to take the risk to engage the Falcons.

Russia loves nothing more than trophies, no matter the cost. So yes, they will. 

40 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Is there something about the F-16's profile that make it prone to identification compared to the Soviet-era stuff Ukraine already flies?