~*Official Thread of America's Return to Thoughts & Prayers Normalcy*~

Just now, DarkStar189 said:

Only the 2nd week of school for us and already trouble.  About an hour ago, friends started contacting us about a Snapchat account with the initials of my son's middle school and another middle school. A picture of a hand holding a Glock, saying be ready for a shooting at both schools tomorrow 8am.  The district just sent an email saying they are aware and investigating with law enforcement but for now school is still on. Everything about it screams that it's a fake threat but it sure does give you pause...

Do not send your kid to school tomorrow, Jesus Christ.

6 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

Do not send your kid to school tomorrow, Jesus Christ.

My wife made it pretty clear we're not haha. Hoping they just call school off or do at home learning. But then what about the next day? Next week? 3 months from now. I'm just trying to pretend in my head it was some dumb teens making a ridiculous joke. Otherwise it's going to drive me crazy.

• Halal 1
  • Hugs 1

3 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

Only the 2nd week of school for us and already trouble.  About an hour ago, friends started contacting us about a Snapchat account with the initials of my son's middle school and another middle school. A picture of a hand holding a Glock, saying be ready for a shooting at both schools tomorrow 8am.  The district just sent an email saying they are aware and investigating with law enforcement but for now school is still on. Everything about it screams that it's a fake threat but it sure does give you pause...

Time for your son to come down with a cold and be unable to make it to school.

An hour ago:

"...District has worked with local law enforcement through the night regarding the threat made. As of this update, the suspect making this threat has been identified and contacted. There is no threat to any of our buildings. There will be an increased police presence throughout the day at the affected schools as a precaution, along with internal school security and staff being up-to-date on the situation." 

@Keyser_Soze He was honestly getting a stuffy nose the past two days and just woke up this morning with a nasty chest cough. He looks pretty rough and today is picture day.  Even though it's supposedly safe now, we kept him home. He will just have to do the make up day for pictures.

• stepee 1
  • Hugs 2

12 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Indiana schools got a lot of threats today and kids getting arrested. Is this happening in other states?

WWW.LOCAL10.COM

Broward Sheriff’s Office deputies announced Wednesday that they have arrested nine Broward County Public Schools students over threats of violence last month and so far this month.

Broward Sheriff’s Office deputies announced Wednesday that they have arrested nine Broward County Public Schools students over threats of violence in the last five weeks.

Seven of the nine arrests were just in the last few weeks and most of them involved social media. Three were children ages 11 to 12.

• Shocked 1

Along with the threat last night, we found out there was also a "hit list" circulating on social media.   10-15 names. We are friends with a family whose daughter was named on the list and the family is a mess. There hasn't been any updates regarding if it was a joke or actually had any merit to it. So now they are just left in an anxiety filled limbo, mind running wild. I hadn't thought about little details like that before. Shits messed up.

• Shocked 2

1 minute ago, DarkStar189 said:

Along with the threat last night, we found out there was also a "hit list" circulating on social media.   10-15 names. We are friends with a family whose daughter was named on the list and the family is a mess. There hasn't been any updates regarding if it was a joke or actually had any merit to it. So now they are just left in an anxiety filled limbo, mind running wild. I hadn't thought about little details like that before.

wtf

is this list from the same person they "contacted" ???

24 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

Along with the threat last night, we found out there was also a "hit list" circulating on social media.   10-15 names. We are friends with a family whose daughter was named on the list and the family is a mess. There hasn't been any updates regarding if it was a joke or actually had any merit to it. So now they are just left in an anxiety filled limbo, mind running wild. I hadn't thought about little details like that before. Shits messed up.

A hit list with 12 people started the craze at schools in my county. 5 kids have now been arrested for Snapchat posts across various local schools. Police say the kids don't have the means to carry out the threat. It does appear to be a twisted, dark humor viral trend.

34 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

A hit list with 12 people started the craze at schools in my county. 5 kids have now been arrested for Snapchat posts across various local schools. Police say the kids don't have the means to carry out the threat. It does appear to be a twisted, dark humor viral trend.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. A whole generation is growing up seeing shootings as a common occurrence. Not really a stretch to think a few are going to tap a few letters on a phone or tablet and hit the send button as a prank. 

40 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Yeah I had bomb threats in my school too. But it was always fairly obvious it was some dork trying to get out of a test. Not somebody putting out a hit list and manifesto. 

In 2000, we had 4 bomb threats at my school. The first one the whole school evacuated to the soccer fields far from the building and we got sent home early. 2nd one same thing but we stayed and went back inside. 3rd and 4th was basically everybody stay in the classroom, no bathroom access while they searched.

• Hugs 1

1 hour ago, Uaarkson said:

Meanwhile Gen X is on Facebook like “derp we had bomb threats when I was in school huurrrr” like great you dipshit, so the problem is getting worse 

It's amazing how much Gen X rags on Gen Z yet they don't realize most of these kids' parents are Gen X'ers. Good job idiots, you're just showing what bad parents you are.

43 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

It's amazing how much Gen X rags on Gen Z yet they don't realize most of these kids' parents are Gen X'ers. Good job idiots, you're just showing what bad parents you are.

Exactly what the boomers do to millennials 

• True 2

9 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I have 3 Gen X siblings (I am not Gen X as I'm 8+ years younger than my closest sibling in age thank god) and can confirm it's the absolute worst generation ever produced.

Apparently, they are more right wing than boomers these days, so this tracks.

8 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

It's probably not entirely Gen X's fault. Lead gas, lead paint, cocaine, Cold War fear-mongering, and etc. rotted their brains. 

True, but are you getting any sense they're even trying to buck their characterization we've made in this thread? I don't. 

30 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Apparently, they are more right wing than boomers these days, so this tracks.

True, but are you getting any sense they're even trying to buck their characterization we've made in this thread? I don't. 

Just observing that unregulated capitalistic endeavors have had such bad consequences. I wonder how kids born of the last decade are going to develop in the social media, algorithm-driven bubbles. There seems to be proportionally more bad faith arguments than rational education, and when the algorithm sticks people in a bubble it's sad they can't escape when alternate views are out there for them to experience. I'll see some batshit post on Twitter that's just filled with misinformation, hate, and fear, then I'll click on the account it's "someone" posting or retweeting every 10 minutes 24/7 a day. Then if I click on who the account is retweeting, that account is also doing the same. And these accounts get so many replies, likes, and followers it feels so discouraging they're duping so many real people.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Just observing that unregulated capitalistic endeavors have had such bad consequences. I wonder how kids born of the last decade are going to develop in the social media, algorithm-driven bubbles. There seems to be proportionally more bad faith arguments than rational education, and when the algorithm sticks people in a bubble it's sad they can't escape when alternate views are out there for them to experience. I'll see some batshit post on Twitter that's just filled with misinformation, hate, and fear, then I'll click on the account it's "someone" posting or retweeting every 10 minutes 24/7 a day. Then if I click on who the account is retweeting, that account is also doing the same. And these accounts get so many replies, likes, and followers it feels so discouraging they're duping so many real people.

I'm going to say most of that are boomers, Gen Xers or bots made to be aimed at those groups. I'm not plugged in, but I don't get a sense that Millennials or Gen Z are socially or economically regressive, so I'm going to say since capitalism has only gotten more hyper/crony capitalist since Gen X'ers, not less, so if Millennials and Gen Z'ers are more sensitive to money as manipulation (which they are), it doesn't really track that it's getting worse per generation, especially since history has indicated we slightly improve socially, etc. with each generation. 

The internet and political junkies like us aren't really a great cross section which is representative of the general American public. In no world am I going to believe that because of technology, Gen Z is worse than Gen X. I actually think Gen Z is better prepared to handle social media than we are, they intrinsically were born and grew up with it, this is the equivalent of making the argument that: "dagnabbit! we walked 20 miles in snow to school!" argument. History just doesn't beget the perspective that technology makes younger generations more regressive than older ones. They usually are always more progressive, and more on the right side of history. Making excuses for Gen X's bad parenting, blame on their own Gen Z kids, and being equal or more regressive than boomers because they can't handle tech, or suffered brain damaging chemicals in the '70's and '80's is making excuses for a generation that has proven it has little interest (broadly) in anyone but themselves.

GMBfZh0WcAA9yIz.png

4 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'm going to say most of that are boomers, Gen Xers or bots made to be aimed at those groups. I'm not plugged in, but I don't get a sense that Millennials or Gen Z are socially or economically regressive, so I'm going to say that capitalism has only gotten more hyper/crony capitalist since Gen X'ers, not less, so if Millennials and Gen Z'ers are more sensitive to money as manipulation, it doesn't really track that it's getting worse per generation, especially as history as indicated we slightly improve socially, etc. with each generation. 

The internet and political junkies like us aren't really a great cross section which is indicative of the general American public. In no world am I going to believe that because of technology, Gen Z is worse than Gen X. 

GMBfZh0WcAA9yIz.png

I think those accounts are just paid actors - spouting right-wing agendas while pretending to be an everyday American. Probably more than one person running the accounts, but that doesn't matter because the messaging has been dialed-in and distilled so much that everything has the same tone.

I couldn't say if generations are getting better on the average. But sadly, it would be getting better at a faster rate if we didn't have to fight against the disinformation. I have a friend who is very liberal and eager to teach those values, but his teenager is latching onto chud talking points (Andrew Tate-like, superiority, put-down humor) because of clips he sees on Snapchat and Tik Tok. And holy shit, the way today's kids like my nieces/nephew talk to each other in online games is so negative - "I'm the best. You're trash. [constant stream of curse words and name-calling]." I just can't put faith in the algorithm era until I see the positivity; but we're really not going to know the outcome for another decade+.

• True 1

12 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I think those accounts are just paid actors - spouting right-wing agendas while pretending to be an everyday American. Probably more than one person running the accounts, but that doesn't matter because the messaging has been dialed-in and distilled so much that everything has the same tone.

I couldn't say if generations are getting better on the average. But sadly, it would be getting better at a faster rate if we didn't have to fight against the disinformation. I have a friend who is very liberal and eager to teach those values, but his teenager is latching onto chud talking points (Andrew Tate-like, superiority, put-down humor) because of clips he sees on Snapchat and Tik Tok. And holy shit, the way today's kids like my nieces/nephew talk to each other in online games is so negative - "I'm the best. You're trash. [constant stream of curse words and name-calling]." I just can't put faith in the algorithm era until I see the positivity; but we're really not going to know the outcome for another decade+.

I actually agree with this, but you're talking about someone under 18/22, right? I'm more speaking to once these generations become adults. Every generation tend to have shit heads when they're kids and teenagers, no matter what century, if you get what I mean. :p It just always exhibits itself differently every generation frequently because of technology, so that part tracks for sure.

10 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I actually agree with this, but you're talking about someone under 18/22, right? I'm more speaking to once these generations become adults. Every generation tend to have shit heads when they're kids and teenagers, no matter what century, if you get what I mean. :p It just always exhibits itself differently every generation frequently because of technology, so that part tracks for sure.

Yeah, kids born 2010 and after. I wonder what kind of adults the hyper-social media generation will produce.

1 minute ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Yeah, kids born 2010 and after. I wonder what kind of adults the hyper-social media generation will produce.

The ones I described in my previous post (competent, etc.)! :p Every generation has their problems, but history speaks to the general social and economic forward movement of humankind. There are blips and regressions, no doubt, but I'm speaking on a large timescale here. All generations adjust, the key is parenting, which boomers and Gen Xers are fucking up.

9 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

The ones I described in my previous post (competent, etc.)! :p Every generation has their problems, but history speaks to the general social and economic forward movement of humankind. There are blips and regressions, no doubt, but I'm speaking on a large timescale here. All generations adjust, the key is parenting, which boomers and Gen Xers are fucking up.

I'm telling my grandma you called her a fuck-up :shameonyou:

• Sicko 1

WWW.FOX35ORLANDO.COM

An 11-year-old Creekside Middle School student is now in custody after he made school shooting threats. The child had a written list of names and targets. He was charged with a felony and is currently in custody of the Volusia County Sheriff's Office.

• Guillotine 1

35 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:
WWW.THREADS.NET

Roseanne demonstrates the opposite of gun safety during an event she did for the Minnesota Trump campaign

It blows my mind that she was fiercely liberal and even competed against Jill Stein multiple times to be the candidate of the Green Party not all that long ago.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

It blows my mind that she was fiercely liberal and even competed against Jill Stein multiple times to be the candidate of the Green Party not all that long ago.

She keeps handling that gun like that yours won’t be the only mind blown

• Sicko 2