Diablo IV - Information Thread, update (10/07): "Vessel of Hatred" expansion class build guides from Fextralife

Bacon

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

The reviews seem to have an interesting range. Like if you’re still playing the game on the regular the expansion is a 10/10, everyone will love it. If you left because of mechanics and systems, then the updates in the expansion are probably good enough to go come back for. If you left until there was more story, you might feel ripped off. 

my issue was how much of the game’s design and updates were based around this being a live service game. Uninteresting maps and locations where they could easily have live service grind events or add some live service event to a spot. So nothing feels purpose built for the campaign. The map had to be online open world so you could see the armor somebody else bought and maybe convince you that you should buy it too. Probably right down to using COD’s system of an algorithm to put a person who buys stuff in the cash shop in front of people who don’t by design for that purpose. And then the updates are boring as shit and only add boring grinds. Player nerfs and new grinds to try and keep you addicted while never feeling like you accomplished anything so they can sell you cosmetics and then the next season’s grind. They took the old grind, pumped it up, twisted it, and weaponized it against their fans and customers. 

had the game come out even just a few years earlier they might have hooked me. I don’t know. But now I find games designed this way repulsive and offensive. They’re less so selling you a complete product as they are selling you a platform they can use to try and manipulate you to spending even more money. There’s no moral restraint here either. If they thought they could get away charging $70 for the base game and $40 for the expansion while having Diablo Immortal’s full monetization scheme they would. And when they do go too far in a predatory direction we get an apology from everyone but the executives who made the decision and ordered it so. 

I find they've sort of reached a happy medium here. The new late game grind seems fun (and in fact I was enjoying it pre-update, not buying season passes).