Diablo IV - Information Thread, update (08/21): "Inside the Game - New Region and Game Features" video

Bacon

I personally wish they'd evolve the seasonal character model, I did it plenty in past games but Im sorta at a point where I am tiring of making chars that go to the eternal realm with no incentive at all to be played once the season is over. I wish theyd dig into creative ways to let our past characters take part in a new season.

52 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I personally wish they'd evolve the seasonal character model, I did it plenty in past games but Im sorta at a point where I am tiring of making chars that go to the eternal realm with no incentive at all to be played once the season is over. I wish theyd dig into creative ways to let our past characters take part in a new season.

Yeah that’d be great. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The Loot Reborn update has drastically changed the game for the better, item customization is much better and the feedback loop between loot, build optimization, and damage output/survivability feels much more tangible. I also appreciate that they streamlined combat away from all the esoteric and contextual secondary systems they built into it. All in all, it is absolutely worth jumping back into for those who have dropped off.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Diablo IV - Information Thread, update (06/09): "Vessel of Hatred - Official Release Date" trailer (October 8)
1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I'm not sure what you mean?

so like on the steam page instead of the D4 standard/deluxe/ultimate editions that were on sale i think last week or week before its now D4 standard edition and then, vessel stand alone, Vessel deluxe, vessel ultimate editions 

did those replace the original deluxe/ultimate's? 

• 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Diablo IV - Information Thread, update (07/18): Spiritborn Class reveal
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Vessel of Hatred's new class bends the rules of buildcrafting in Blizzard's action RPG.

The first new class to come to a mainline Diablo game in 10 years can reach into the spirit realm and throw a giant eagle god at their enemies. The divine bird swoops in with a gust of electrified wind and then lifts off like a lightning strike in reverse. It's probably the coolest looking skill in the game and it's only one of the four guardian spirits you can wield as a spiritborn, a new class debuting with Diablo 4's first paid expansion, Vessel of Hatred, on October 8.

Blizzard didn't give us a ton of time with the spiritborn during a press preview event last week in Irvine, California, but I can already tell my friendship with rogues might be over. The spiritborn are martial artists who command four animal guardians—jaguar, gorilla, centipede, and eagle—from Sanctuary's spirit realm, a domain that Blizzard says is equivalent to the game's depictions of Heaven and Hell. Each one represents a distinct approach to combat and are meant to be mixed together to fit your playstyle. Eagle skills, for example, imbue your attacks with lightning and increase your movement speed. I settled into a build that turned me into some kind of sorceress/rogue hybrid with volleys of lightning bolts covering the screen every time I dashed toward enemies.

WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

Preview: The Spiritborn is good enough to tempt me into breaking one of my worst RPG habits

Blizzard doesn't often add a new class to Diablo's ranks, but Vessel of Hatred's Spiritborn swiftly makes the case for their introduction. The martial arts-styled warrior brings something new and seamless to the familiar sights of Nahantu while respecting a time-honored tradition of popping fleshy loot piñatas with reckless abandon.

Talking to the press at its California headquarters, Blizzard explains its approach to the Spiritborn's lore is that the angels exist among the high heavens, the demons dwell deep within the burning hells, and we humans get the spirit realm in between – essentially a ghostly reflection of Sanctuary where spirits roam free. As a Spiritborn, you can manifest four of those spirits and bind them to your will. 

WWW.POLYGON.COM

Diablo 4’s new Spiritborn class is exactly what I always wanted the Diablo 3 Monk to be

The pitch for the Spiritborn is that they’re agile warriors who use melee strikes to deal with their foes. While attacking, they can also call on their Spirit Guardians to decimate their enemies. There are four Spirit Guardians to choose from, and each has their own identity: Gorilla, Jaguar, Eagle, and Centipede.

Each Spirit Guardian has their own set of abilities in the ability tree — typically one per primary, core skill, ultimate, etc. — that fits into their theme. Jaguar abilities are all about speed and fire, whereas Gorilla abilities focus on protecting themselves and others while dealing physical damage. Eagle abilities have far more range than the other Spirit Guardians and focus on precision and lightning damage. The visually grossest and flashiest of the four is the Centipede, which is all about poison and the earth.

The Spiritborn’s main class mechanic allows you to essentially pledge yourself to two Spirit Guardians at once — or the same Spirit Guardian twice. From there, you can mix and match any of the classes’ abilities together to create new synergies. Your primary Spirit Guardian will give you a unique passive and change all of your skills to use that Guardian’s keyword (i.e. if you pledge yourself to the Jaguar, all skills in your tree will become Jaguar skills). Your second Spirit Guardian will grant you their secondary passive, which is another unique effect that can change up your build.

WWW.THEGAMER.COM

The new Spiritborn class brings deeper depth to Diablo 4 buildcrafting.

Spiritborn is a bold choice for Diablo 4’s first DLC character. Unlike Rogues, Barbarians, and Druids, a Spiritborn is not a familiar RPG trope that’s easy to wrap your mind around. It’s clear from the early speculation online that people didn’t know what to make of the Spiritborn. Some thought it would be a hybrid between Monk and Druid, or Druid and Amazon, or a combination of all three. Some thought it would be a new Shaman-like character similar to Diablo 3’s Witch Doctor. All of those guesses are pretty far off the mark. The only thing the internet seemed to get right about the Spiritborn is that it isn’t anything like the highly-requested Paladin/Crusader archetype, which is another reason this was a brave choice.

In truth, the Spiritborn doesn’t have all that much in common with any of the classes we’ve seen before. It’s a martial arts class like the Monk, it imbues its attacks with elemental damage like the Amazon, and it has an affinity for animals like the Druid, but once you’ve played the Spiritborn you’ll never mistake it for any other class. It has a playstyle and aesthetic that’s wholly its own, yet fits seamlessly into the world of Sanctuary like it’s always been there.

WWW.GAMEINFORMER.COM

Here's a breakdown of Diablo IV's new martial-arts inspired class.

Unlike other Diablo classes, the Spiritborn is not based on a traditional fantasy archetype like the Rogue or Mage. Rather, it’s a martial arts-inspired class hailing from the dense jungle region of Nahantu. Described as the apex predator of this region, a Spiritborn arises from a brutal ritual tasking them to survive the wilds of Nahantu. A Spiritborn character’s narration in a cinematic reveal trailer describes it best: 

“Only a few among my people can become Spiritborn. As children, the most promising face judgment in the nest. Our trial begins and ends with pain. Those who are not called are culled. For the weak, all paths end here. For the worthy, that path leads to power beyond compare and a sacred charge to wield it well.”

Succeeding in this ritual allows a Spiritborn to commune with the Spirit Realm to bond with and harness the power of four animal Spirit Guardians: jaguar, eagle, gorilla, and centipede. The Spirit Realm is described as a “byproduct of humanity” and a “ghostly reflection of Sanctuary” by associate narrative designer Eleni Rivera-Colon during a presentation. “The way that we like to see it is that the angels have the High Heavens, demons have the Burning Hells, and humans have the Spirit Realm.” 

The four Spirit Guardians serve as manifestations of human beliefs. The Jaguar represents hunting and providing, while the Centipede represents the cycle of death, decay, and the resulting new life. The Eagle represents the precision and vision needed to navigate the jungle, and the Gorilla is a beacon of strength and protection. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Diablo IV - Information Thread, update (07/18): Spiritborn class trailer, reveal video, and previews
WWW.IGN.COM

The Spiritborn are an entirely new class to the Diablo series, complete with their own lore that’s tied up in the ancient civilization of Nahantu – as seen in the Act 3 jungles of Diablo II – and the ethereal spirits with which they commune. Unlike the other Diablo IV classes, where you dive quite deep into a specific fantasy like tanking with the Barbarian or doing mad DPS with the Rogue, the Spiritborn is much more customizable and varied, thanks to the four...

The Spiritborn are an entirely new class to the Diablo series, complete with their own lore that’s tied up in the ancient civilization of Nahantu – as seen in the Act 3 jungles of Diablo II – and the ethereal spirits with which they commune. Unlike the other Diablo IV classes, where you dive quite deep into a specific fantasy like tanking with the Barbarian or doing mad DPS with the Rogue, the Spiritborn is much more customizable and varied, thanks to the four guardian spirits you can choose to build into. Those four spirits are: the eagle, which focuses on mobility, evasion, and lightning damage; the gorilla, which is all about survivability and physical damage; the jaguar, which is the king of DPS, attack speed, and fire damage; and my personal favorite, the centipede, which uses poison, debuffs, and lifesteal to control the battlefield and feed off your foes’ misfortune.

Each of those spirit guardians is represented by a massive ghostly avatar that imbues you with power and occasionally takes to the battlefield itself to lay waste to your enemies, like how the centipede bursts onto the scene to start spitting giant globs of venom at everything in sight, or the eagle, which swoops in to zap your foes into dust. The skills and abilities that correspond with each of these spirits appear on the Spiritborn skill tree as color-coded nodes, so you can easily identify which you might want to focus on depending on your chosen spectral BFF.

These four distinct styles, and the divergent builds you can create from them as a result, make the Spiritborn feel like four new classes in one. For example, a slow-moving, extremely resilient gorilla build will feel very different from a jaguar build where you’re teleporting around the map. But although you’ll need to choose one of them to be your primary patron, one of the most defining characteristics of the character class is the ability to hybridize your build with some of the powers offered by other guardian animals. So, for example, if your jaguar build is feeling a bit squishy, you can reach across the aisle to your gorilla spirit and add a few of his tanky abilities to your repertoire, making yourself significantly more durable.

WWW.GAMESPOT.COM

A class that doesn't feel like anything seen in the series before, Spiritborn channel the gods themselves to decimate foes in visceral fashion.

While I didn't have time to dive into the deep end and meticulously theorycraft my own unique build featuring skills from multiple Spirit Guardians, I can already see the potential. Jaguar builds are more fast-paced and fragile, but splashing in a few defensive Gorilla skills might help to make the build sturdier. Meanwhile, combining the evasiveness of Eagle skills with the debilitating effects of Centipede skills could result in a build that would allow players to run circles around their slowed and poisoned enemies, all the while picking them off at range. There are tons of possibilities, but players can certainly stick to one particular playstyle (made simple by the color-coated nature of each Spirit Guardian's abilities displayed in the skill tree) and find success doing so. However, the true potential of the class comes from blending different Spirit Guardian skills. Mixing in different abilities to help eliminate some of the weaknesses inherent to builds that focus on a single Spirit Guardian is entirely the point, associate class designer Stephen Stewart said.

"That's where the beauty of the class really starts to sing," Stewart said.

From my time playing it, I'm inclined to agree. The Spiritborn makes for a fascinating cocktail of gameplay variety. I was never bored trying out the different builds, and as I saw more of what the class had to offer, lightbulbs began to go off in my head as I started piecing together ideas for how I could combine my favorite elements of each playstyle into one all my own. Mixing together abilities from different categories already exists in Diablo 4, but the strongly defined identities of each Spirit Guardian and their corresponding skills make it even easier at a glance to understand how a particular skill could slot into a build.

• 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Diablo IV - Information Thread, update (08/20): "Vessel of Hatred - Mercenaries" reveal trailer
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Diablo IV - Information Thread, update (08/21): "Inside the Game - New Region and Game Features" video