Update: instead of whipping them, the White House is considering renditioning Haitian asylum seekers to Gitmo

• 7 months later...

The migrants are overwhelming the South Texas town of Del Rio and adding even more strain to an immigration system already buckling under record migration, with hundreds of thousands crossing every month and many already waiting years for hearings.

Even as it faces searing criticism from human rights groups and opposition from some Democratic lawmakers, the administration is pushing forward with a strategy meant to relieve the overflow in Del Rio and deter more Haitians from trying to come to the United States.

“We have reiterated that our borders are not open, and people should not make the dangerous journey,” said Marsha Espinosa, assistant secretary for public affairs for the Department of Homeland Security.

18dc-immig-image-facebookJumbo-v7.jpg
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

The U.S. will begin flying migrants back to Haiti and other countries on Sunday as President Biden struggles to manage an immigration system already buckling under record migration.

• Guillotine 1

1 hour ago, Remarkableriots said:

18dc-immig-image-facebookJumbo-v7.jpg
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

The U.S. will begin flying migrants back to Haiti and other countries on Sunday as President Biden struggles to manage an immigration system already buckling under...

They're asylum seekers and to seek asylum you legally have to present yourself at the border. wtf

2 hours ago, Jason said:

They're asylum seekers and to seek asylum you legally have to present yourself at the border. wtf

It's the rule that was put in place by the Trump administration that the Biden administration has chosen to continue:

While international law protects the right to seek asylum, public health ordinance Title 42, adopted by former President Donald Trump during the COVID-19 pandemic and continued by President Joe Biden, allows for rapid expulsions without the opportunity to seek asylum.

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

After further examination of the pictures, those are the reins of the horses, not whips.

But that still doesn't make the imagery of light-skinned border patrol agents on horseback "rounding up" dark-skinned migrants any less horrifying.

At the start of this video it looks like they're swinging the reins around like whips.

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

After further examination of the pictures, those are the reins of the horses, not whips.

But that still doesn't make the imagery of light-skinned border patrol agents on horseback "rounding up" dark-skinned migrants any less horrifying.

I would be very shocked if most, if not all, of the three in the photo aren’t brown themselves based on my time at the border. CBP recruits a ton of Hispanic men and women to work the front facing border jobs.

5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I would be very shocked if most, if not all, of the three in the photo aren’t brown themselves based on my time at the border. CBP recruits a ton of Hispanic men and women to work the front facing border jobs.

I don't dispute in the least that those agents are probably/definitely of Latin descent, but they certainly are "light-skinned" compared to those they're assaulting.

8 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

6 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I don't dispute in the least that those agents are probably/definitely of Latin descent, but they certainly are "light-skinned" compared to those they're assaulting.

original.jpg
WWW.THEATLANTIC.COM

After spending nearly two decades facilitating deportations as a Customs and Border Protection officer, Raul Rodriguez discovered that he was not a U.S. citizen. Now he’s at risk of deportation himself.

For more context, a Federal judge ordered the Biden administration to stop using the Title 42 expulsion policy, but the Biden administration is ACTUALLY APPEALING that ruling:

106943766-1631909466965-gettyimages-1235
WWW.CNBC.COM

The Biden administration Friday appealed a judge's order to stop expelling migrants under a Trump-era pandemic policy that doesn't let them apply for asylum. 

• Guillotine 1

210920-border-patrol-horseback-jm-1446.j
WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

Press secretary Jen Psaki called the images "horrible," but said she could not yet address what the consequences would be.

White House press secretary Jen Psaki on Monday called pictures that appeared to show a U.S. Border Patrol agent on horseback with a whip to deter migrants "horrific," but declined to say what consequences there should be for the agent's actions.

"I have seen some of the footage. I don't have the full context. I can't imagine what context would make that appropriate, but I don't have additional details," she told reporters at the daily White House briefing. "I don't think anyone seeing that footage would think it's acceptable or appropriate."

Psaki was pressed repeatedly about the images and asked if the use of whips was something the Biden administration permitted.

She called footage of the incident "horrible to watch," but added "we just have to get more information on that" before she could comment further. Asked if the agent should be fired, she said, "Of course they should never be able to do it again."

• Guillotine 1

56 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

For more context, a Federal judge ordered the Biden administration to stop using the Title 42 expulsion policy, but the Biden administration is ACTUALLY APPEALING that ruling:

106943766-1631909466965-gettyimages-1235
WWW.CNBC.COM

The Biden administration Friday appealed a judge's order to stop expelling migrants under a Trump-era pandemic policy that doesn't let them apply for asylum. 

I guess THAT...

is why THIS happened.

180511-guantanamo-detainees-2009-ac-632p
WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

The Biden team wants to avoid what it sees as mistakes made by Obama. "They don't want it to become a lightning rod," said a former senior official.

The administration hopes to transfer a handful of the remaining terrorism suspects to foreign countries, the people familiar with the discussions said, and then persuade Congress to permit the transfer of the rest — including 9/11 suspects — to detention on the U.S. mainland. Biden hopes to close the facility by the end of his first term, the people familiar with the discussions said.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: instead of whipping them, the White House is considering renditioning Haitian asylum seekers to Gitmo

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/immigration/article254383138.html

22political-briefing-immig-investigation
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

A letter from lawmakers on the Oversight Committee asks for Customs and Border Protection officials to brief the committee by the end of the week about the conduct of border agents.

Couldn't we send some food and water emergency rations sent down to them?

“Reports that thousands of migrants are being deported to Haiti despite turmoil in that country raise serious concerns about whether the federal government is failing to treat migrants — including those fleeing violence, political instability, and natural disasters — with respect and dignity and affording them a meaningful opportunity to seek asylum,” the lawmakers wrote.

“We were able to express our concern for people who look like us,” Representative Joyce Beatty, Democrat of Ohio and the caucus’s chairwoman, said afterward. “We had not seen the horses and the whips with any other population of people, so that to us goes to racism.”

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2021-09-23/mexican-forces-surround-border-migrant-camp

media:50e6546c5373474da7049dc0a15e91e6Me

A camp where more than 14,000 migrants had waited along the Texas border just days ago was dramatically smaller at dawn Thursday, while across the river in Mexico, Haitian migrants in a growing camp awoke surrounded by security forces as a helicopter thundered overhead .

Both governments appeared eager to end the increasingly politicized humanitarian situation at the border, even as the U.S. expulsion of Haitians to their troubled homeland caused blowback for the administration of President Joe Biden.

The Biden administration’s special envoy to Haiti, Daniel Foote, submitted a letter of resignation protesting the “inhumane” large-scale expulsions of Haitian migrants, U.S. officials said Thursday.

_120669068_mediaitem120669067.jpg
WWW.BBC.COM

Daniel Foote called the US decision to deport Haitian migrants "inhumane".

The US special envoy for Haiti has resigned in protest over the deportation of Haitian migrants.

The decision to return migrants fleeing an earthquake and political instability was "inhumane", senior diplomat Daniel Foote said.

WWW.HOUSTONHAITIANSUNITED.ORG

Houston Haitians United an organization built for the people by the people of this community both Haitians and friends of Haiti. We welcome all who are wanting to support our mission and vision to work in...

This org is directly helping the group at the border, if you’re looking for a good cause.

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:
WWW.HOUSTONHAITIANSUNITED.ORG

Houston Haitians United an organization built for the people by the people of this community both Haitians and friends of Haiti. We welcome all who are wanting to support our mission and vision to work in...

This org is directly helping the group at the border, if you’re looking for a good cause.

Wonderful!

Thank you very much!