Whatcha gonna do, when Quantumania runs wild on you!

Went over the weekend and it was a perfectly mediocre MCU film.

Minor spoilers:

The first few times Ant Man uses his suit in the quantum realm, it's to get bigger, which makes a good amount of sense. After maybe the third time I was waiting for a throw away bit of dialog about how they couldn't get any smaller or something, and that this film would flip the book on Ant Man and make his whole thing about getting bigger (at least while they were in the quantum realm). Then everyone reverted back to the same powers they had at normal scale and I was kinda bummed.

They set up the quantum realm to be anything! It doesn't have to obey any laws of time or physics (not that Ant Man cares much for physics). Anything could happen, but I didn't really feel like that in the movie. Things felt too normal, like they'd just gone to space with the Guardians and landed on a different planet.

It's still got some fun moments, but it's not going to inspire any repeat viewings.

• stepee 1

2 hours ago, TwinIon said:

They set up the quantum realm to be anything! It doesn't have to obey any laws of time or physics (not that Ant Man cares much for physics). Anything could happen, but I didn't really feel like that in the movie. Things felt too normal, like they'd just gone to space with the Guardians and landed on a different planet.

This is something that I felt but didn’t quite have the words for. There really is nothing special about the quantum realm other than the probability storm thing.

It's weird that there's so little curiosity from the characters about the quantum realm. I know they got into it a bit with Endgame and And-Man and The Wasp but... there's a lot of biodiversity down there. Presumably not all of them are just banished like Kang. Do they know they're small? If time is different down there, how long have they been around?

Also pretty funny in hindsight that the Avengers' original plan in Endgame before some reshoots and/or edits was to just yeet the Infinity Stones into the quantum realm. Nobody could find them in there! :p

• stepee 1

For some inexplicable reason, what Majors says in this interview got a laugh out of me:

ST_422_Jonathan-Majors_v10.jpg?w=780
WWW.INDIEWIRE.COM

Screen Talk 422: Majors crashed this week's episode of Screen Talk for a candid discuss of art, fame, and the complications of awards season.

In conversation with IndieWire's Screen Talk podcast, Quantumania's 48% Rotten Tomatoes score – almost a franchise low – was brought up. Majors, speaking about reviews of his movies more generally, responded: "It doesn't change how I see myself, period. The middle of the sandwich is, it's all data. I'm a performance within a story."

He continued: "I will say to my team as we're leaving a premiere, if everyone's reading reviews, I just keep saying, 'How's the movie doing? How's the movie doing? How's the movie doing?' I try to clean my plate and take care of my part. And the response is, 'You're straight, you're good, they like you.' And then they tell me about the movie. Sometimes the movie is also on a level, sometimes the movie is – but then you realize, it's people… They have an opinion, and you always have an opinion." 

I just imagined him asking his "team" in third person :lol:

Jonathan Majors: "Team Jonathan Majors, Jonathan Majors wants to know what are they saying about the performance of Jonathan Majors in the film?"

Team Jonathan Majors: "Jonathan Majors, Team Jonathan Majors is pleased to report that they're saying that the performance of Jonathan Majors is the best part of the film."

Jonathan Majors: "Thank you, Team Jonathan Majors.  Jonathan Majors is pleased to hear that they appreciate the performance of Jonathan Majors."

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

This should be on Disney Plus starting tomorrow. 

EDIT: oh, it seems to just be available to buy on streaming channels, I think this is the first time in awhile a marvel movie didn’t go to D+ immediately after the main theatrical run. People are speculating sometime in May now, alongside the bluray release.

• Thanks 1

My wife and I enjoyed this - but it helped we rewatched Ant-Man 1+2 beforehand as well as the last episode of Loki season 1 ahead of time, but it was also nothing special. It moves too fast, it's got the same problems a lot of recent MCU movies do, but it was more fun and more coherent and more interesting looking than Doctor Strange 2 or Thor 4 at least. I enjoyed Eternals, Black Panther 2 and Shang-Chi more though.

Kind of felt like the movie had too much (action, pretty visuals) and not enough at the same time (substance), like a lot of these MCU movies do.

• Halal 1

4 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

It was mediocre. I’m pretty sure I nodded off a couple times watching it last night. 

3 hours ago, Air_Delivery said:

Althought I haven't watched any MCU media after Avengers III, the Ant-Man movies were always among my favorites so I was initially mildly interested in this until I found out the setting. No Michael Peña and everything that made the first 2 Ant-Man's great? I'll pass.

It basically felt like "hey maybe we should do a Kang origin story for the people who are only going to watch the movies and never check out the Loki TV show".

Now I'm wondering if they actually did a better job of turning Captain American 3 into Avengers 2.5 while still having it also be a Captain America story or if it was just better received than turning Ant-Man 3 into Kang 1 because we hadn't started burning out on the MCU yet when Captain America 3 came out.

I would agree the biggest issue with Ant-Man 3 is it's just a prototypical MCU film. Ant-Man feels shoe-horned into his own movie, where they are trying to create a Star Wars-type vibe with universe-ending stakes, which just has never been Ant-Man in the first two movies. The MODOK stuff felt more like Ant-Man than the Kang stuff, which I liked but felt like it was coming from a different movie. It's pretty clear whatever plans they originally had for Ant-Man 3 (given Ant-Man 2's storyline) was dropped once they wanted Kang to be the next big bad. I mean no Michael Pena, no David Dastmalchian, no Tip T.I. Harris, no Ghost, no Laurence Fishburne, no Walton Goggins, no Bobby Cannavale or Judy Greer for the step-family dynamic, nothing. It's just so disconnected from its own universe because it all takes place in the Quantum Realm. 

But this was definitely better than Doctor Strange 2 and Thor 4 at least. Also, anyone else finding the kids of superheroes so we can get a young Avengers, etc. comes off as incredibly goofy in live action? The original characters, Iron Man, etc. in the MCU were straight up adults. In their late twenties or somewhere in their thirties to start things off. Now we have like Hawkeye 2.0 is like a college student, now same with Ant-Man's daughter seeing people killed and world ending stakes but it all comes off like a cartoon. Not only does it all come off like really bad nepotism, it just seems like giving the tools to the wrong people, as I'm sure their are adult warriors or people who could use it better.

Showing us Ant-Man's daughter, Hawkeye 2.0, and Ironheart in Black Panther 2 and hand-waving each as being some child super athlete or super genius is just unbelievable. Seeing Ironheart flying around and shit in an anime mech suit just felt tonally at odds with the entire rest of the movie. Seeing kids fight and hurt things while huge wars/battles are going on with no PTSD fallout or anything has shifted the tone of these MCU films some. It used to feel like adult characters in comic book stories but now we're approaching Saturday morning Young Avengers cartoon levels with all these nepo babies or super babies running around unchecked. The only one that felt reasonable was She-Hulk since she was already an adult, with a real job, etc. Kamala Khan in Ms. Marvel worked since they played that like Spider-Man in high school, which worked to a degree. I'm more concerned about how she comes off in a real movie with real stakes. Children quipping while going off on a power fantasy without realizing the stakes they're involved in isn't very fun to watch over and over again in mindless CG fests.

• Halal 1

The MCU just isn’t very good at the moment. But I also think filmmaking in the Covid era just hasn’t been very good. I think the fall/winter this year is when we will finally see most movies be ones that are made completely on the other side of Covid protocols.

There have been a lot of important roles on sets that were absent as Hollywood attempted to have fewer people on set during production. Notably, the people tasked with doing on set rewrites were nowhere to be seen. 

Just now, Kal-El814 said:

How dare you.

My wife and I saw Doctor Strange 2 in theaters and we really didn't enjoy it. I'll give it a rewatch at some point to reassess it but it cut off all the plotlines from the first movie to waste our time with new, alternate versions of the same characters instead. There really wasn't any "multiverse of madness" and the whole film came off like a bunch of CG fest scenes with quips, no character building and lots of fan service. Thor 4 was worse I think, but it was openly sillier, which helped it.

On 4/17/2023 at 12:43 PM, Spork3245 said:

This should be on Disney Plus starting tomorrow. 

EDIT: oh, it seems to just be available to buy on streaming channels, I think this is the first time in awhile a marvel movie didn’t go to D+ immediately after the main theatrical run. People are speculating sometime in May now, alongside the bluray release.

Trying to recoup some of the money the movie lost at the box office.