~* The official thread of stonks, tendies, safe, sound and very real professional financial advice *~

15 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

hedge funds that trade in and out of stocks based on signals

from algorithms, started selling equities when last week's surprise Bank of Japan rate hike sparked expectations for further tightening

ai is dumb as fuck

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Somehow, AMD is bucking the trend!

WWW.CNBC.COM

Get Advanced Micro Devices Inc (AMD:NASDAQ) real-time stock quotes, news, price and financial information from CNBC.

It's because I don't own any of their stock.

If I bought some, they'd tank.

• True 1

1 hour ago, osxmatt said:

It’s back up now, but my Fidelity account was down the first hour of trading. 

Damn, that’s pretty good if you made it through the last week or so without being down at all, assuming you mean only stocks and not the things that are balancing it out (interest, tax benefits, dividends, bonds, etc)

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

Damn, that’s pretty good if you made it through the last week or so without being down at all, assuming you mean only stocks and not the things that are balancing it out (interest, tax benefits, dividends, bonds, etc)

I think he meant "up" and "down" in the context of being able to access the account :p

• Haha 1
  • Halal 1

Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I think he meant "up" and "down" in the context of being able to access the account :p

That makes so much more sense lmao

I am up overall from the last week, including bacon’s new pc, but if say all my money were in my current stock portfolio, yikes. I wouldn’t jump out of a window or anything and it’s tracking better than s&p overall, but damn.

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

- General global economic slowdown, specifically the US and China

- See my post above regarding certain Japan-specific factors

Also, Iran is probably about to attack Israel (again)

21 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

I think its gonna be temporary rough going as the idiots that did their Yen carry trade have to liquadate their postions.

For anyone that is long this is just a blip.

Counter-point: Inverse Jim Cramer

• True 1

8 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Based on the performance of the market since the meltdown and the pretty good jobs data from yesterday, the current sentiment is that the Fed doesn't need to be "as aggressive" in pursuing the rate cuts.

I know there are prediction websites out there. What is the current consensus at? 25 basis points?

Now that I have been paying more close attention to all this since it matters much more on a personal level now, I have come to conclusion that everything is just dumb 

It actually makes me worry less because I just figure it’s going to be dumb and barely make sense so there isn’t any reason to really give too much merit to anything (since i’m doing conservative with my money)

• Halal 1

4 hours ago, stepee said:

Now that I have been paying more close attention to all this since it matters much more on a personal level now, I have come to conclusion that everything is just dumb 

It actually makes me worry less because I just figure it’s going to be dumb and barely make sense so there isn’t any reason to really give too much merit to anything (since i’m doing conservative with my money)

Consistent investing over time with risk based on your age is generally the smartest thing to do, much else is chasing dragons.

• True 2

• 2 weeks later...
WWW.CNBC.COM

Nvidia reported second fiscal-quarter earnings Wednesday after the bell.

Nvidia reported earnings after the bell that beat Wall Street expectations for earnings and guidance, and provided stronger-than-expected guidance for the current quarter.

Here are the results.

• Earnings per share: 68 cents adjusted versus 64 cents per share expected by LSEG.
  • Revenue: $30.04 billion versus $28.7 billion expected by LSEG.

Nvidia said it expected about $32.5 billion in current quarter revenue, versus $31.77 billion expected by analysts, according to StreetAccount.

Nvidia said it approved $50 billion in share buybacks.

• 2 weeks later...
WWW.CNBC.COM

OPEC now expects demand to grow by about 2 million barrels per day in 2024, some 80,000 bpd slower than its previous forecast.

Crude oil futures on Tuesday closed at the lowest level since December 2021, as the market sell-off gained speed after OPEC lowered its demand forecast for the second time in two months.

“Crude Oil demand destruction one two punch from China and OPEC delivered the knockout blow today,” Bob Yawger, executive director of energy futures at Mizuho Securities, told clients in an afternoon note.

“Incredibly, the market is getting beat down while a tropical storm/hurricane churns up the US Gulf of Mexico oil patch,” Yawger wrote.

Futures turned bearish after recovering some lost ground Monday as Tropical Storm Francine threatens oil and gas production as well as refining operations on the Gulf Coast.

OPEC now expects demand to grow by about 2 million barrels per day in 2024, some 80,000 bpd slower than its previous forecast. The group of oil producers sees demand growth of 1.7 million bpd next year, about 40,000 bpd lower than originally anticipated.

OPEC had cut its demand outlook in August due to softening consumption in China, the world’s largest crude importer.

Since this article was published this morning, both West Texas Intermediate and Brent North Sea are down over 3%.