Democrats unveil legislation to increase minimum wage to $15...by 2025!

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Wtf guys. Just increase it all at once.

That would be incredibly rough for small businesses. Gradual is better.

What kills me is we should have gradual increases to go beyond $15 as time goes on, but nobody will fight for this. 

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Wtf guys. Just increase it all at once.

Every state-level implementation of this I'm aware of has been a phase-in. It makes sense to do it that way to avoid one big sudden spike in labor costs for smaller employers.

Just now, Joe said:

That would be incredibly rough for small businesses. Gradual is better.

What kills me is we should have gradual increases to go beyond $15 as time goes on, but nobody will fight for this. 

Just now, Jason said:

Every state-level implementation of this I'm aware of has been a phase-in. It makes sense to do it that way to avoid one big sudden spike in labor costs for smaller employers.

Yeah, makes sense I guess. But I agree, it should continue to increase with inflation every year.

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Wtf guys. Just increase it all at once. Still good news.

All at once would be devastating to a lot of businesses and jobs. It absolutely has to be gradual, especially since it would be more than doubling the minimum wage in some states (ie: NJ minimum wage is $12/hour, PA is $7.25).

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Going from $5/hour to $10/hour tipped minimum wage in a few short years was the biggest bitch ever in NYC. The problem is now that it's $10, it won't be increased again until $10 becomes a joke wage, and they will double it again in a few years. Such a dumb fucking system.

Target and Amazon both start new hires at $15/hr. Most of us still work multiple jobs. $15/hr is a joke. Right when you walk into my warehouse there is a sign that says "great news! the 60 hour per week cap has been extended until January 31st" It is Infuriating. None of us want to work 6 10 hours days per week. Most of us have to, and it's gross and exploitative. 

26 minutes ago, Joe said:

Going from $5/hour to $10/hour tipped minimum wage in a few short years was the biggest bitch ever in NYC. The problem is now that it's $10, it won't be increased again until $10 becomes a joke wage, and they will double it again in a few years. Such a dumb fucking system.

This is the biggest problem, need a plan to keep it increasing perpetually, but phased increase is by far the best solution, it even helps employees as they can use planned increases to fight for higher wages I know we used NYs minimum wage increases during our union negotiations, and the rage when their coffee/burger whatever increases by like a dollar over night compared to 20 cents a year is something youc an't over look, lol.

35 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Wtf guys. Just increase it all at once. Still good news.

That would cause small businesses even more financial stress than they are under currently. 

EDIT:  This is a gift to big business - who can readily swallow the increased labor costs without changing their pricing.  

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

A lot of "we should raise it gradually because of the shock to small businesses" talk here without any data to back it up

This is of course going to be the talking point of the left instead of working to make increases continue beyond 2025.

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

A lot of "we should raise it gradually because of the shock to small businesses" talk here without any data to back it up

Small businesses typically run lean, most would have to do their price hikes before the changes went into effect simply so they could afford doubling their payroll.

6 minutes ago, Joe said:

This is of course going to be the talking point of the left instead of working to make increases continue beyond 2025.

There's 0 guarantee the min wage makes it to $15 if the gop takes control of government. Better to bake in your wins now, and dare them to take the wins away like the ACA. Having an in place $15 wage beats the shit out of an abstract "in three more years it will be $15 from the $12 it is now!" Cutting wages is far, far, far harder than freezing them in place (which is a slow cut anyway)

6 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Small businesses typically run lean, most would have to do their price hikes before the changes went into effect simply so they could afford doubling their payroll.

Prices are always going up. labor going up in reaction to government mandate is no different than wages going up due to market conditions

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

There's 0 guarantee the min wage makes it to $15 if the gop takes control of government. Better to bake in your wins now, and dare them to take the wins away like the ACA. Having an in place $15 wage beats the shit out of an abstract "in three more years it will be $15 from the $12 it is now!"

Prices are always going up. labor going up in reaction to government mandate is no different than wages going up due to market conditions

The GOP is good at obstructing, but bad at repealing shit. Let them try to block a min wage increase.

5 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

And I'm sorry but if your business requires you pay someone minimum wage to the point that you have to close shop rather than pay higher wages, maybe your business isn't as valuable as you think.

Sorry but folks gotta eat and live

b_m is pro big business.  

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

So the ones that aren't currently covered by the flsa, and therefore not subject to the current federal minimum wage, will be under new law?

Break up big business

Yes, that was the correct counter to what I said, not what you first said. Good that you googled it, though. :p

Just now, Joe said:

Yes, that was the correct counter to what I said, not what you first said. Good that you googled it, though. :p

Also, maybe arguing that no businesses should be exempt from paying the federal minimum wage would be a wiser avenue than pointlessly whining about this?

3 minutes ago, Joe said:

Also, maybe arguing that no businesses should be exempt from paying the federal minimum wage would be a wiser avenue than pointlessly whining about this?

Or realize that the threshold for applicability to the flsa is quite low and covers damn near every business out there so it's a needless and pointless point to make