~*Official NYC Mayor Eric Adams Thread of Nepotistic Hilarity*~ - update (09/25): he's been indicated by a federal grand jury

22 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

Adams is an elector for New York:

GYXi8-JXwAAzeKs?format=jpg&name=medium

Gonna put on my fortune telling jacket and predict that if this election is close, like 270-268 or something, Trump will be indicted for trying to bribe Adams for his vote. Like promising to pardon him or some dumb thing. 

NY has a faithless elector law, the votes are required to go to winner of the state's EVs.

WWW.NBCNEWYORK.COM

Eric Adams has been indicted on federal charges out of the Southern District of New York, making him the first sitting mayor of New York City to face criminal prosecution. Adams has denied any wrongdoing on his part and any knowledge of wrongdoing regarding a series of probes surrounding his administration. He says the charges are based on lies and…

Someone on twitter posted the follow excerpt. Pretty fucked.

GYaSo21bIAAtiIP?format=jpg&name=large

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

Obviously I'm not cut out for politics...but man, I get antsy if a vendor even tries to give us a t-shirt or two as swag after we buy $100,000 worth of computer gear. 

I can say from experience that the Ivy Leagues are a bit more "fluid" than that. We didn't even have a "maximum value of gift" policy at my university until 2010. In a completely unrelated incident, half of my coworkers were let go in 2009 for "unsanctioned association with vendors".  Those of us not removed during the great culling like to call those times  "when we learned who golfs and who does not". :sun:

• Haha 2
  • True 1

While I'm always glad to see a corrupt politician actually face some consequences, it's also always a bit disheartening to read one of these things that starts with how he's been flagrantly breaking corruption and finance laws for a decade and how these abuses directly aided in the politician getting the position they have. It really feels like you have to be incredibly flagrant in your abuses to get caught at all.

• True 1

33 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Obviously I'm not cut out for politics...but man, I get antsy if a vendor even tries to give us a t-shirt or two as swag after we buy $100,000 worth of computer gear. 

I was the manager of a cinema and I bought a bunch of printer ribbons for a dot matrix printer we had to get a free duffel bag.  Another time a lighting supplier told me they'd give me a $50 walmart gift card for an order of two cases of fluorescent tubes, they didn't go through and when they called back for a re-order I told them I never got the gift card so I'd be going with another supplier.

I should have gone into politics instead of going into this weird IT niche.

Reading the excerpts people are posting on Bluesky.

I find it funny that the known favor that the Turkish asked for was to waive the fire inspection of their new consulate. I suppose that is the kind of thing that you'd bribe a mayor for, but it just seems like it might be easier to just build to code.

I have the feeling that Adam's changing his password on his phone and "forgetting" it is not going to keep the FBI out for very long.

2 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Reading the excerpts people are posting on Bluesky.

I find it funny that the known favor that the Turkish asked for was to waive the fire inspection of their new consulate. I suppose that is the kind of thing that you'd bribe a mayor for, but it just seems like it might be easier to just build to code.

I have the feeling that Adam's changing his password on his phone and "forgetting" it is not going to keep the FBI out for very long.

It must have been a pretty rough fire code violation.  That same cinema manager job I had they wrote down during every inspection that we had a sprinkler to close to the wall in like 3 places, it never got fixed, they never really cared.  Bribing the mayor of NYC for waiving a fire inspection... did they have emergency exits that led to backup generator fuel tanks lined with trip wire?

35 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

It must have been a pretty rough fire code violation.  That same cinema manager job I had they wrote down during every inspection that we had a sprinkler to close to the wall in like 3 places, it never got fixed, they never really cared.  Bribing the mayor of NYC for waiving a fire inspection... did they have emergency exits that led to backup generator fuel tanks lined with trip wire?

Part of me wants to believe that they must have had a really good reason, like some sort of secret spy stuff that they didn't want disclosed so they had to avoid any inspection, but there's probably a better chance that it was a mundane thing, like they built something not caring about code or just needed to hit a deadline and couldn't deal with any more red tape.