Star Wars Outlaws (PC/Xbox Series/PS5) - update (10/03): Patch 1.2 released

AbsolutSurgen

21 hours ago, TwinIon said:

The empire wanted system is pretty silly. There was an unlock that required killing some death troopers, so I figured I could just stroll up to an empire outpost and just start something and eventually they'd show up like a SWAT team in GTA. Not so much. I attacked three different outposts, allowed a trooper to call in backup, didn't go hiding, and no one showed up. Sometimes I'd get one small wave of reinforcements, but then they'd just lose interest and stop showing up, despite all the radio messages about my position and hunting me down. I attacked three different outposts and couldn't get my wanted level up high enough and they always gave up after a short time.

Eventually I just had to go to a full on imperial base. Reinforcements still were not showing up, but at least there were enough groups of troopers around that I could go find more trouble. After a while I was able to get my wanted level all the way up, and the death trooper logo showed up and I heard the imperial radio messages to leave things to the death troopers, but they don't actually hunt you down. Maybe there are death troopers that will hunt you, but none would come for me, so I had to go hunt them. I did that and the wanted level went to zero.

I suppose to some degree I'm grateful that I can attack an outpost and not have to spend too long shrugging off my wanted level, but overall the wanted system feels odd or underbaked.

this is how it was for me until i went to get the item to make the electric shock thing to stealth takedown some enemies. that was the one time death troopers actually showed up and they were sending endless reinforcements. 

i beat the game and i didn’t hate it. but if this wasn’t star wars i don’t think i would have even finished it? 

somebody said the dlc is going to have a sabacc tournament which is probably enough to get me to buy it because that game was my favorite part of this lol. 

In regards to the story I was very pleased that Kay

Spoiler

Didn’t suddenly fall in line with and become a hardcore supporter of the Rebels. She was more like “no, fuck you.” And eventually “yeah well, good luck”. She was far more self motivated. The closest she came to taking their side was just not wanting to see the empire wipe them all out  After that it was “have a good life”. lol She was never really converted. 

I rather enjoyed that. 

but that being said, did she even resolve the issue of her death mark? I don’t think she did, because you can still see it on the ship. 

40 minutes ago, johnny said:

i beat the game and i didn’t hate it. but if this wasn’t star wars i don’t think i would have even finished it? 

This isn't what I want to hear lol. Sigh 😕 

6 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

In regards to the story I was very pleased that Kay

Hide contents

Didn’t suddenly fall in line with and become a hardcore supporter of the Rebels. She was more like “no, fuck you.” And eventually “yeah well, good luck”. She was far more self motivated. The closest she came to taking their side was just not wanting to see the empire wipe them all out  After that it was “have a good life”. lol She was never really converted. 

I rather enjoyed that. 

but that being said, did she even resolve the issue of her death mark? I don’t think she did, because you can still see it on the ship. 

Spoiler

i would guess it’d go away since the guy paying for it is dead. probably something the devs missed. 

5 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

how many games are you playing right now? 

Just Silent Hill and now Star Wars.

I'm like 2 hours away from beating Halo Infinite but I can knock that out this evening. 

32 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

and then in like a day you’ll be playing Metaphor.

And you were supposed to go back to Remnant 2. 

😆 I know. I honestly just try out games just to see what sticks. I have a lot of free time right now so that's why I am playing so many games. 

If I try a game and it doesn't hook me I move on.

But this isn't normally how I operate when I'm working. I only play one game at a time and focus on it until I beat it. 

Well I gave this 2 more hours last night. It’s just not very good, period. I'm not playing anymore of it any time soon. 

With Metaphor: ReFantazio coming out tomorrow and me absolutely loving Silent Hill, I'm not wasting my time on a mediocre game. 

• Halal 1

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm getting a lot of bugs after the patch. I had one quest that I had to do three times because I couldn't turn it in. I wasn't in combat, but it just wouldn't let me talk to a Jawa to finish the quest. On the third time after a restart it finally let me. I've also had a bunch of game crashes. The game just closes itself, with no sign of anything going wrong beforehand. I haven't seen a pattern yet, but it's now happened half a dozen times. Thankfully I haven't lost any real progress, but that seems like luck.

I do appreciate this patch making it easier to go over small rock on the speeder. It sucked to go mildly off-road in a freaking hover bike and get ejected at full speed because I hit a small rock. 

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm getting a lot of bugs after the patch. I had one quest that I had to do three times because I couldn't turn it in. I wasn't in combat, but it just wouldn't let me talk to a Jawa to finish the quest. On the third time after a restart it finally let me. I've also had a bunch of game crashes. The game just closes itself, with no sign of anything going wrong beforehand. I haven't seen a pattern yet, but it's now happened half a dozen times. Thankfully I haven't lost any real progress, but that seems like luck.

I do appreciate this patch making it easier to go over small rock on the speeder. It sucked to go mildly off-road in a freaking hover bike and get ejected at full speed because I hit a small rock. 

I had a couple of crashes to desktop.  Happened in the first 4 minutes after launching the game.  But, if it didn't crash that soon, it wouldn't crash during a longer play session.

You know what else helped me make the decision to stop with this game...I was completely let down visually after playing Silent Hill 2. Kay looked pretty bad and kinda blurry. 

I'm sure on PC it looks really good. 

I'm not completely finished with this game but with so much to play right now it's going in the back burner. 

Finished PoP: Lost Crown last night and started SW: Outlaws up. Wow... I can't believe how second rate pretty much everything in this game feels.  If it didn't have the Star Wars label it would be a tier 2 game at best. Everything just looks and feels very 2nd rate... animations, climbing, stealth, AI (2nd rate is far too generous), combat. 

I only put in about an hour... is there really anything redeeming about it or does it get any better (especially gameplay-wise)?

10 minutes ago, Dexterryu said:

Finished PoP: Lost Crown last night and started SW: Outlaws up. Wow... I can't believe how second rate pretty much everything in this game feels.  If it didn't have the Star Wars label it would be a tier 2 game at best. Everything just looks and feels very 2nd rate... animations, climbing, stealth, AI (2nd rate is far too generous), combat. 

I only put in about an hour... is there really anything redeeming about it or does it get any better (especially gameplay-wise)?

Does it get better?  Yes.

Would I still give it a 7/10 based on where I am -- Yes.

• True 1

1 hour ago, Dexterryu said:

It's definitely an AA game with the Star Wars label stuck on it. 

1 hour ago, Dexterryu said:

the beginning of the game feels rough. Upgrades to the blaster and Nix make combat and stealth better by the end. There was a patch recently allowing double tapping jump to use grapple points. That should help keep momentum up. I set the game to explorer mode so the use yellow paint was mostly removed. It at least helped immersion. 

I think the environmental look at feel was the big standout for the game. Which is a bit of a shame, because yeah, it feels like if it were not a Star Wars game you’d put it down sooner. I’d say the game starts out as maybe a 5/10 and becomes a 7/10 by the end. It’s worth a finish to see it all if you’re a Star Wars fan, but I don’t feel like it is a must play. It definitely sits below the Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order and Survivor games. 

It’s just hard because I know Ubisoft games have had better platforming and better stealth mechanics. But not necessarily in the snow drop engine, which may be part of the issue.  Maybe if they used Anvil we would have gotten better stealth and platforming, but then Massive wouldn’t be the right studio for that. 

• stepee 1

52 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

the beginning of the game feels rough. Upgrades to the blaster and Nix make combat and stealth better by the end. There was a patch recently allowing double tapping jump to use grapple points. That should help keep momentum up. I set the game to explorer mode so the use yellow paint was mostly removed. It at least helped immersion. 

I think the environmental look at feel was the big standout for the game. Which is a bit of a shame, because yeah, it feels like if it were not a Star Wars game you’d put it down sooner. I’d say the game starts out as maybe a 5/10 and becomes a 7/10 by the end. It’s worth a finish to see it all if you’re a Star Wars fan, but I don’t feel like it is a must play. It definitely sits below the Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order and Survivor games. 

It’s just hard because I know Ubisoft games have had better platforming and better stealth mechanics. But not necessarily in the snow drop engine, which may be part of the issue.  Maybe if they used Anvil we would have gotten better stealth and platforming, but then Massive wouldn’t be the right studio for that. 

Thank you for the detailed answer. I'm meh on Star Wars lately, especially for a game without Jedi/LightSabers. The bland main character (the first hour basically gave me zero reasons to give a shit) and really bad stealth AI is the nail in the coffin for me.

• Halal 1

43 minutes ago, Dexterryu said:

Thank you for the detailed answer. I'm meh on Star Wars lately, especially for a game without Jedi/LightSabers. The bland main character (the first hour basically gave me zero reasons to give a shit) and really bad stealth AI is the nail in the coffin for me.

while every part of the game gets better or has high points, there is no one gameplay mechanic or feature that is a stand out for the game. Nothing the game can lean on, really to say if you like “this” type of game you’ll like Outlaws. 

I played it on Ubisoft+ for $18, did not renew, and I wouldn’t recommend anyone pay more to experience it. 

if I were to be generous I would say it has the foundation to get a great expansion that improves on a bunch or even a sequel. So many little things the game does that on paper are kind of neat and make the world feel so big. Even my least enjoyed aspect, the faction system, can stay if they make it less video-gamey and make it make more sense and feel more organic. Though it is definitely the one thing I think the game could drop and it would have immediately improved the overall feel of the game. 

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

while every part of the game gets better or has high points, there is no one gameplay mechanic or feature that is a stand out for the game. Nothing the game can lean on, really to say if you like “this” type of game you’ll like Outlaws. 

I played it on Ubisoft+ for $18, did not renew, and I wouldn’t recommend anyone pay more to experience it. 

if I were to be generous I would say it has the foundation to get a great expansion that improves on a bunch or even a sequel. So many little things the game does that on paper are kind of neat and make the world feel so big. Even my least enjoyed aspect, the faction system, can stay if they make it less video-gamey and make it make more sense and feel more organic. Though it is definitely the one thing I think the game could drop and it would have immediately improved the overall feel of the game. 

That's really the catch with Ubisoft. Their best games don't follow the Ubi formula which this one does. I got Ubisoft + to play POP, SW, and Mirage... and don't see myself renewing. Going to give Mirage a try this evening and then decide to cancel since I *think* I could finish it before my renew date later in the month.

13 minutes ago, Dexterryu said:

That's really the catch with Ubisoft. Their best games don't follow the Ubi formula which this one does. I got Ubisoft + to play POP, SW, and Mirage... and don't see myself renewing. Going to give Mirage a try this evening and then decide to cancel since I *think* I could finish it before my renew date later in the month.

canceling and only paying for a month was my prime goal. Under normal circumstances I might have bought it. But it was only available through the Ubisoft launcher, the CEO  told gamers to get used to not owning games, the reviews were soft, and Ubisoft+ was an option. So playing and beating the game for $18 and not renewing felt like a good middle finger to Ubisoft executives. 

1 hour ago, Best said:

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory was the pinnacle of the series. 

for stealth at least. I think Blacklist was good in the stealth department too, but the game had a larger focus on action. 

I’d like to see Splinter Cell come back closer to Chaos Theory and an Outlaws 2 refine and focus into feeling more like Blacklist in the stealth and action. 

either way, no matter the gameplay mechanics, the level design will need to improve massively. There are far too few areas that feel tailor made for stealth or platforming. 

In regards to stealth the game is almost there. It has some of the ideas, it just needed to be developed more. Lock picks, splicing tools, the ability to reprogram droids, hacking cameras and doors and intercoms. I mean the ideas and tools to do so much to feel like a master infiltrator is in the game. 

as is there are so few unique conditions and so few ways of handling the copy and pasted ones in the game that very little stands out or feels meaningful and rewarding to get through. Your options usually come down to find a connecting crawl space or punch somebody. And sometimes there’s no crawlspace. I would also like where knocking somebody out was at times far riskier. And there was greater reward if you got in and out without leaving a trace (nobody killed or knocked out, any sabotage looks like a malfunction, etc)  

and it’s for this ability to build off of the systems and mechanics they made that I would be a bit disappointed if this was the only game like this Ubisoft did. 

I would really be surprised if there is a sequel to this game.  It wasn't well received, and hasn't sold well.

Many of the "stealth mechanics" are very similar to last year's Avatar from the same developer.  Despite their many differences, you can see the same basic design ethos behind the two games.  The reality is, though, neither one was able to find a truly great gameplay loop.  They layered lots of systems, had a well developed world, and followed a similar formula.

But they never sat down and said "what will make the moment to moment gameplay really fun".  Nor did they say "what will make a truly engaging story with entertaining characters".

The result, for both games, is that the moment to moment combat is super generic and boring.  And the stories/characters are super generic and boring.

If you're going to build a game around "scum and villainy", they should have brought the same energy as Ubi's older games (e.g.)

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I would really be surprised if there is a sequel to this game.  It wasn't well received, and hasn't sold well.

yeah. Though I maybe we could see them attempting a sequel or spiritual successor with a new cast of characters. Maybe a main character that’s more of a mercenary or somebody like an ISB agent on special assignments. A new type of story maybe not even during the days of the Empire, but where they can build and grow off the ideas from this game. 

i don’t know. I like Star Wars and always want there to be good or fun Star Wars. 

9 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

yeah. Though I maybe we could see them attempting a sequel or spiritual successor with a new cast of characters. Maybe a main character that’s more of a mercenary or somebody like an ISB agent on special assignments. A new type of story maybe not even during the days of the Empire, but where they can build and grow off the ideas from this game. 

i don’t know. I like Star Wars and always want there to be good or fun Star Wars. 

I'm still only partway through.  I don't think they've found the basis of a game that is worth iterating on.

The production values of games like SWO require huge sales.  That's not going to happen with a mediocre game like this.