Star Wars Outlaws (PC/Xbox Series/PS5) - update (10/03): Patch 1.2 released

AbsolutSurgen

Anyways, I have been continuing to play the game. I dropped the resolution down to 1440p and stopped getting texture loading issues after about 2 hours of play or if I change planets. 

Akiva, a very pretty planet does seem to kill my PC at the ultra preset with RTX DI and Ray reconstruction though, even at 1440p. Not all the time, but there are times I drop from 120+ fps down to like 38 out of nowhere, and massive frame time spikes too. If it was an online multiplayer game it feel like getting a massive lag spike. Could be shaper compilation, but I am not sure as it has happened in places where I have already been. Like on Toshara it happens when out in the world. Though Toshara is far more open than Akiva. Maybe time of day has an impact due to the lighting. I definitely did not have this happen on Tatooine, and that could be because Tatooine is a barren rock. 

I have been playing the game more to try and get through the story. I am not in a rush as I allow myself to get distracted all the time. I like the bigger missions and I like the atmosphere of the worlds. Though the missions all seem to have a similar formula, which makes each feel less and less special at times. 

12 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Why lol?

Ok. I’ve been gaming since the 70s. I thought you were older than me. 

He is older than you. I guess he started gaming much later in life. I started gaming in 1986. 

3 minutes ago, Best said:

He is older than you. I guess he started gaming much later in life. I started gaming in 1986. 

Bro I started with PONG. (I’m serious) on a black and white TV in my parents bedroom. Then Atari 2600. Had damn near every Atari and Activision game. Then the NES and SNES. After the Nintendo 64 I lost interest in gaming because drugs lol. I did play PS1 and PS2 games but not hard core. 

• stepee 1

1 minute ago, Biggie said:

Bro I started with PONG. (I’m serious) on a black and white TV in my parents bedroom. Then Atari 2600. Had damn near every Atari and Activision game. Then the NES and SNES. After the Nintendo 64 I lost interest in gaming because drugs lol. I did play PS1 and PS2 games but not hard core. 

That's awesome you've seen the very beginning of gaming to where we are now. 

4 minutes ago, Biggie said:

You missed some good Star Wars games. 

SW: The Empire Strikes Back was great for in its day on 2600. 

33 minutes ago, Best said:

That's awesome you've seen the very beginning of gaming to where we are now. 

Yes. Pretty much all the advancements in tech. I remember when call waiting and caller I.D. came out. If you had that on your home landline phone you were top dog. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Yes. Pretty much all the advancements in tech. I remember when call waiting and caller I.D. came out. If you had that on your home landline phone you were top dog. 

Pfff. I remember a friend whose father wouldn’t get touch tone phone, because it cost $5 per month. 

Beat the game. Saw the ending. Credits roll. I didn’t complete all the quests and unlock all the upgrades. Didn’t even play sabac once. 

I flip flop back and forth about the “open world” areas of the game. On the one hand there are some interesting the things to see and find, and it makes the game world feel large and more diverse. On the other hand it also feels like it was used for bloat to pad the game out. 

I still dislike the faction system in this game and feel like it just bogged the game down. Made traversal a pain in the ass sometimes. 

I didn’t mind how stealth heavy the game was, but the game felt so formulaic by the end. Sneak on the way in, but have to blast my way out. Early game it was like “oh cool. That was neat”, by the end of the game it was less interesting. 

Despite the game’s simplicity, and repetitive gameplay loops with little creativity in how they are used, I did like the game enough to finish it. More than I can say for many games. And now I can cancel Ubisoft+ and have played the game for less than $20. It would take some significant DLC expansions to make me come back to it though. I would come back for a sequel though. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Beat the game. Saw the ending. Credits roll. I didn’t complete all the quests and unlock all the upgrades. Didn’t even play sabac once. 

I flip flop back and forth about the “open world” areas of the game. On the one hand there are some interesting the things to see and find, and it makes the game world feel large and more diverse. On the other hand it also feels like it was used for bloat to pad the game out. 

I still dislike the faction system in this game and feel like it just bogged the game down. Made traversal a pain in the ass sometimes. 

I didn’t mind how stealth heavy the game was, but the game felt so formulaic by the end. Sneak on the way in, but have to blast my way out. Early game it was like “oh cool. That was neat”, by the end of the game it was less interesting. 

Despite the game’s simplicity, and repetitive gameplay loops with little creativity in how they are used, I did like the game enough to finish it. More than I can say for many games. And now I can cancel Ubisoft+ and have played the game for less than $20. It would take some significant DLC expansions to make me come back to it though. I would come back for a sequel though. 

I'm still relatively early on, and think your take is mostly bang on based on my experience.

I have played a bunch of Sabac, but I don't really enjoy it much -- it is so heavily luck based.

1 hour ago, Best said:

I honestly feel really shitty for buying this. I might force my ass to play and beat this just so I don't feel like shit. 😴 

I would recommend don’t play the game as a completionist. Focus more on the main story missions and only dip off to do something else if is on the way, or near by, or if you see an master/upgrade part you really want. But when running through towns/cities do let your eyes wander to take in the set dressings of the world around you. 

13 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I would recommend don’t play the game as a completionist. Focus more on the main story missions and only dip off to do something else if is on the way, or near by, or if you see an master/upgrade part you really want. But when running through towns/cities do let your eyes wander to take in the set dressings of the world around you. 

I never play any game as a completionist. Having just searched how long it takes to just beat the main story it is saying 15–20 hours which is actually a good number for me. 

Surprisingly I thought as a pretty big Star Wars fan I'd easily fall in love with the game and that didn't occur in my play time. 

I think I just need to try it again and be as positive as possible. 

1 hour ago, Best said:

I never play any game as a completionist. Having just searched how long it takes to just beat the main story it is saying 15–20 hours which is actually a good number for me. 

Surprisingly I thought as a pretty big Star Wars fan I'd easily fall in love with the game and that didn't occur in my play time. 

I think I just need to try it again and be as positive as possible. 

I never “try” to be as positive as possible. My opinion and tastes just are what they are. Though I did want to like this game. I think what helped was while the mission designs felt very formulaic and could risk feeling like a chore at times, they never felt like they dragged on for too long. They were broken up by story, traversal, and seeing new places. 

Stealth is often my default anyways in games where you are given a choice. This is probably why I didn’t have an issue with the amount of stealth. The game is also pretty forgiving as most of the time being seen isn’t an auto fail. You act quick or have planned a head and get out of it. Nix is a great asset too, at times making things super easy. 

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

11 hours ago, Best said:

I honestly feel really shitty for buying this. I might force my ass to play and beat this just so I don't feel like shit. 😴 

That was something 12 year old me would have done ... and frankly, I ended up enjoying some games more than I thought.

But today, games are too cheap and commonplace to waste 30 hours on one you don't like so much.  Especially if they're formulaic as open world games tend to be.  I could see the Star Wars pull factoring into tolerance levels though.

i’m like 16 hours in and definitely enjoying it more as i’ve upgraded more shit. i’ve played a lot of sabacc which is kinda fun. ive been mainlining the game except when i come across something i want to do. like i wanted to a get the crimson dawn outfit so i did a few contracts for them and got it. 

10 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

But today, games are too cheap and commonplace to waste 30 hours on one you don't like so much.  Especially if they're formulaic as open world games tend to be.  I could see the Star Wars pull factoring into tolerance levels though

and this is probably what it was for me. I might have finished the game if it wasn’t but I definitely gave it more of a chance and played more because it is Star Wars. 

If I put my backseat dev hat on for a minute I would say the stealth was underdeveloped. Not just in mechanics, but in how the missions were set up, the tools at your disposal, and the risk/reward nature. 

often stealth came down to knock everyone out or find that 1 vent in the room. It was so rare when platforming/climbing/grappling was used to avoid detection as an alternative route. Splicing usually was just to shut off things or open doors. Not enough ways to feel creative in your problem solving of sneaking around. There’s less of a thrill as well. I had been feeling this way for a while in the game and then there was a mission where an NPC did a bunch of stuff that I would have liked to have as options to find/do in missions as ways to solve given problems. 

If the designed stealth and areas in the game could be a bit better another way to add risk/reward would be to have secondary objectives with special rewards. The age old “leave no trace” kind of objective. You don’t knock anyone out, you don’t kill anyone, etc. 

my other critique and change would be to either make the main quest missions more linear in how they are given to you (not letting you choose), this way crew you recruit can become helpful on the missions to get the next crew member. Or the mission designs themselves is updated where you have options open up based on who you have recruited so far. Both have the advantage of feeling more attachment with the people you’ve recruited. Feeling more like a crew before the big heist. 

• Halal 1