Star Wars Outlaws (PC/Xbox Series/PS5) - update (09/07): hotfix for early insta-fail stealth missions coming within "10 days" per creative director

AbsolutSurgen

I put that IGN video on in the background, and there didn't seem to be a whole lot new. The one thing that did catch my attention is right around the 12:00 mark they mention that it's best thought of as a "single player action adventure wrapped in an world", more comparable to Spider-Man than the Witcher or the recent AC games.

I don't think that's a surprise, but it's a useful point of comparison.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I put that IGN video on in the background, and there didn't seem to be a whole lot new. The one thing that did catch my attention is right around the 12:00 mark they mention that it's best thought of as a "single player action adventure wrapped in an world", more comparable to Spider-Man than the Witcher or the recent AC games.

I don't think that's a surprise, but it's a useful point of comparison.

:hmm:

• True 1

1 minute ago, Best said:

I have my doubts for sure.

Ok ok no trolling. Honestly I think the game will be a 7.5/10. Nothing spectacular or rememberable but a fun time until a new game comes along and most people move on.  

• stepee 1

1 minute ago, Biggie said:

Ok ok no trolling. Honestly I think the game will be a 7.5/10. Nothing spectacular or rememberable but a fun time until a new game comes along and most people move on.  

You might be right just based off the hands on. 

2 hours ago, Biggie said:

That's exactly how I feel. And I love the Star Wars Universe but this looks mehtacular at best

WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

This month we are diving into Star Wars Outlaws, the highly-anticipated open-world Star Wars game from Massive Entertainment

This month, GamesRadar+ is diving into one of the most exciting open world adventures of the year: Star Wars Outlaws. Massive Entertainment has established a reputation for creating highly-detailed playspaces, setting new benchmarks through The Division, its sequel, and Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora. But the studio has set out to deliver something far more ambitious in Star Wars Outlaws – the ultimate scoundrel simulator, designed to let you run riot around the Outer Rim as you fight, steal, and outwit some of the galaxy's most dangerous crime syndicates. 

We visited Massive's headquarters in Malmo, Sweden, for an extensive look at Star Wars Outlaws. It's there where we got new insight into Kay Vess and her companion Nix, fresh details on the sprawling outdoor landscapes you'll be able to race across on your speeder, and info into the combat, reputation, and exploration systems that underpin the entire adventure. We also spoke with key creative leads about how Massive collaborated with LucasFilm to bring an original Star Wars story to life, how progression is different from other Ubisoft open world experiences, and so much more. 

WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

Preview | I visited the Massive studio in Malmo, Sweden for a behind-the-scenes look at Star Wars Outlaws, from its inception to its open-world ambitions, and more

When you're handed the chance to make a new Star Wars game, there's a galaxy of possibilities to consider. So where do you even begin? How do you decide what direction to go in, or what story you want to explore in a beloved universe that's ripe for the picking? These were the exact questions developer Massive Entertainment faced when the opportunity to create the open world adventure now known to the world as Star Wars Outlaws came their way. In what was then a small incubation team at the Sweden-based studio, key creative leads began by thinking about their own personal connection to George Lucas' space opera. 

Creative director Julian Gerighty describes Star Wars as a "cultural milestone", and fondly reflects on the first time he saw A New Hope when it reached the UK in 1977. He was just four years old, but can recall the exact theater he watched it in, and still remembers the day he got the film on VHS. During my time visiting Massive's headquarters in Malmo, Sweden, I heard similar stories from other developers. While everyone's link to Star Wars is personal, Gerighty says early conversations between the team quickly made them realize they all shared a love for a particular kind of character that would shape the direction of what Star Wars Outlaws would become. 

It wasn't the Rebels, the Empire, or even the Jedi, but the scoundrel figures that spoke to the team the most. Once Massive landed on the focal point of "the Han Solo archetype" – aka "the coolest guy in the galaxy," as Gerighty puts it – the team began crafting the concept. A concept which, Gerighty explains, could be summed up in a single sentence. One that's easy to learn, easy to repeat, and helps all 600 developers working to bring Star Wars Outlaws to life move in the right direction: "Be a scoundrel in a galaxy of wonder and opportunity". 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Star Wars Outlaws (PC/Xbox Series/PS5 | 30 August 2024) - update (07/11): "The Big Preview" coverage hub (GamesRadar)
WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

Preview | How Massive decided on the five planets that make up the open-world of Star Wars Outlaws

Star Wars Outlaws is aiming to let us step into the first-ever truly open-world action adventure in the Star Wars universe. Full to the brim with different planets, diverse environments, various cultures, and iconic locations, it's a playground that begs to be explored. During my time at developer Massive’s studio in Malmo, Sweden, I got the chance to hear all about the approach the team took to make this open-world a reality, and it certainly sounds ambitious. But it's also what makes the chance to experience the galaxy far, far away in the shoes of up-and-coming scoundrel Kay Vess so enticing.  

Early on, the team immediately recognized that in order to truly deliver an open-world, they would have to let us navigate through one of the key ingredients that makes Star Wars, well, Star Wars. Space. 

"Being the first truly open world Star Wars game, we of course imagined the different places we can go to, the different locations," game director Mathias Karlson says of the early stages of development. "But we instantly realized that the true Star Wars open-world experience needs to go beyond planet surfaces. They [the planets] are completely central to the variety, but so is space. Space is an equally important part of the Star Wars world and experience. So surrounding these planets are orbital regions, space regions. And we can therefore, as part of this space experience, put one of the most iconic moments literally at your fingertips: hyper driving, hyper jumping between these different regions at will. When you arrive, this is not an authored, roller coaster ride where we tell you when to go to space and how to go through it. It's real time space flight." 

WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

Preview | Star Wars Outlaws introduces a new moon, here's five things I learned about the world

Star Wars Outlaws is set to take us to five distinct planets and let us explore space in its handcrafted open-world in the Outer Rim. I learnt a lot about Massive's approach to world-building and how it draws from George Lucas' inspirations during my time at the developer's studio in Sweden - with the team delving into the making of the familiar desert planet of Tatooine from the original trilogy, to the frozen landscapes of Kijimi from Star Wars: Rise of the Skywalker, and more. But what's perhaps most intriguing of all is the prospect of visiting an entirely new location when we take on the role of Kay Vess. 

For Star Wars Outlaws, Massive worked in collaboration with LucasFilm Games to create and introduce a new moon world to the Star Wars canon. Named Toshara, lead open-world artist Anton Sander spoke at length about the creation of Massive's signature world. With the ambition "to make sure every planet has something unique to offer", Sander reveals what sets this moon apart, the real-life location that influenced its design, and what we can expect to experience when we visit it during our adventures. Below are five of the most interesting facts I learned about the original new world of Toshara. 

WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

Preview | Exploring the making of a scoundrel story in Star Wars Outlaws with Massive Entertainment

For Star Wars Outlaws, Massive worked together with LucasFilm Games to bring a different kind of Star Wars story to life. Instead of someone who's swept up in the conflict between the Empire and Rebellion, or the Jedi and Sith, we'll be stepping into a "scoundrel story through the eyes of someone who is experiencing the underworld and the galaxy for the first time". As laid out by narrative director Navid Khavari at the developer's studio in Malmo, Sweden, that someone is of course protagonist Kay Vess, who's "sent out on a journey that spans the Outer Rim as an outlaw", where she'll be forced to confront her past to "guarantee" her future. 

With the chance to create a fresh experience that plays around with the "Han Solo archetype", the team set out to craft a story that could "combine LucasFilm's great history of storytelling with Massive's ability to craft open-worlds" through the lens of an up-and-coming thief who's trying to find her own way. 

"It was crucial to us that Star Wars Outlaws is not a story about the Rebel Alliance. It's not a story about the Empire. It's the story of a scoundrel, a thief, a hustler, an outlaw, it is the story of Kay Vess," Khavari says. "And that feel, that tone, that aesthetic, that perspective, was absolutely crucial in forming the character of Kay Vess. So who is Kay? Well, she's a rookie taking her first steps into the greater galaxy, she's absolutely a dreamer. Someone who has big dreams and high hopes to land a score that is going to set her and Nix up for life. And like any great scoundrel she takes risks, rolls the dice. And that is the only way really to succeed in the Star Wars underworld." 

WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

Preview | Exploring Star Wars Outlaws' progression system with developer Massive Entertainment

In Star Wars Outlaws, mastering the ways of the scoundrel is all about who you know. With a bounty on your head and a desire for freedom driving protagonist Kay Vess forward, the connections you make will be just as important as your actions and reputation. After all, no one starts at the top of their game, and as a newcomer in the Outer Rim, Kay has a lot to learn to become a bonafide gunslinger, thief, and resourceful underdog even Han Solo could be proud of. But rather than earning XP, or increasing levels in order to learn the tricks of the trade, we'll have to put in the legwork to locate local experts and convince them to impart their wisdom. 

"There are people in this galaxy who will teach you new tricks," says lead systems designer Matthieu Delisle. "Experts are our take on a progression system that kind of breaks away from more traditional types of progression. So we're not talking about XP bars, or levels, or even ability trees. To unlock new abilities in Outlaws, you will first need to find elusive experts. And the best place to start is in the cantinas, where you can pick up rumors and ask around to find some intel about where to find the local experts. Once you find them, they will ask you to go on an adventure to convince them to help."

WWW.GAMESINDUSTRY.BIZ

Ubisoft's Star Wars Outlaws developers discuss the power of E3 and giving its new video game a 1970s cinematic feel

It's E3 2018 and Julian Gerighty is preparing to take the stage at The Orpheum Theater to showcase The Division 2.

While the creative director was preparing for the Ubisoft press conference, his boss at the time – Ubisoft Massive's managing director David Polfeldt – was out the front in a café "chit-chatting" with Disney about the possibility of the two working together.

"They had a shortlist of developers that they wanted to work with, and Massive happened to be on that list," Gerighty shares with us. "David was very enthusiastic about that relationship, too.

"I wasn't sure we were going to work on Star Wars. It could have been other Disney properties. But inside each one of us, we all dream of being able to one day make a Star Wars game. So that was the origin point."

6 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I’ll let you know 

Reveal hidden contents

I honestly don't know what to think about this game. It's so up in the air for me. 

• True 1

7 minutes ago, nublood said:

Just watched latest gameplay.

Yikes. 

This game needs a hard delay in my opinion. Animation, AI, mocap, etc is all sub par and looks like something out of mid last gen cycle. 

I haven't seen any of the footage. Ouch.

55 minutes ago, nublood said:

Yikes. 

This game needs a hard delay in my opinion. Animation, AI, mocap, etc is all sub par and looks like something out of mid last gen cycle. 

Ya don’t say? Guess it’s not just me trolling then. 

47 minutes ago, Best said:

I haven't seen any of the footage. Ouch.

The Phantom Menace Fear GIF by Star Wars

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nublood said:

Yikes. 

Yup. I saw NOTHING that puts this on even my lowest standard radar

• True 1

4 hours ago, nublood said:

Yikes. 

Tom Henderson shares your evaluation.

I just watched the IGN First preview of Star Wars Outlaws, and it looks very unpolished for a game scheduled to release in six weeks. This really sucks to say, but I am unfortunately not surprised.

He implies that this one is "coming in hot".

WWW.PCGAMER.COM

A 10-minute gameplay preview shared recently by IGN has received many more dislikes than likes.

"We'll shortly be seeing more content of very high quality and multiple hours that will really show the depths of the open world that is a key element of the promise to enjoy the exploration of the galaxy with multiple planets, so that should bode well for the game in terms of high-quality delivery."

Better stuff to be shared before launch?

It was obvious to me that that IGN mission on Tatooine takes place very early in the game so I wasn't worried about that. If I have any concerns it would be how active these open world maps are because there was a lot of uneventful driving and cave walking in that mission. Graphics looked ok to me but my tastes aren't as refined as a lot of the conosieurs here