Star Wars Outlaws (PC/Xbox Series/PS5) - update (09/07): hotfix for early insta-fail stealth missions coming within "10 days" per creative director

AbsolutSurgen

I like what they showed! Gives me Shadows of the Empire vibes in a good way. (I have very nostalgic feelings for that game from getting it with my N64 at X-mas and being a SW fan -- especially then.) 

• stepee 1
  • Halal 2

I’m definitely very excited. Taking place between Empire and Jedi is interesting, even though I want Star Wars in a whole different time. Seriously, why is every creator stuck on this timeline when there is a full, rich history for them to explore?

Still though, it really looks fun.

Hands-on previews of about an hour of gameplay:

WWW.PCGAMER.COM

There's still so much we don't know about Outlaws, but I saw moments of greatness.

Like so many pieces of media with "Star Wars" on the cover these days, Outlaws feels a bit basic. Kay Vess' singular weapon is a blaster with two modes: red for kill, and blue for depleting shields. Stealth is forgiving, with sparse guards in the spaces I skulked through and lots of leeway to break line-of-sight when things go south. When it was time for a shootout, Stormtroopers were so bad at their job that they shot anywhere but at me (OK, maybe that's just Ubisoft sticking to the lore). As I spelunked through the cavernous remains of a galactic cruiser, dutifully spamming A to shimmy between yellow-painted ledges, I felt like I was playing Ubi's best approximation of Uncharted, and kinda missed the cool wallrunning and double jumping of Star Wars Jedi: Survivor.

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Eurogamer goes hands on with Star Wars Outlaws and comes away a bit less excited, and a bit more worried.

Having played Star Wars Outlaws for a good hour or so ahead of the Ubisoft Forward show, however, I've come away with a renewed appreciation for Jedi Fallen Order and Jedi Survivor. In fact no, a bit more than that - in comparison to Outlaws' admittedly early, work-in-progress demo, they stand as singular pieces of revolutionary high art. Outlaws' early gameplay feels positively ancient - not only mechanically but in execution, in its near total lack of character, flair, invention, detail, or style. In trying to describe it, the closest comparison I can draw is with Uncharted: Golden Abyss, which launched in 2011 on the PS VIta.

WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

Hands-on time with Massive Entertainment and Ubisoft's Star Wars adaptation reveals a big old fancy world full of at-best passable shooting and platforming.

Star Wars Outlaws is probably a fun weekend in with a family-sized bag of chips, but it's no scoundrel. There's nothing really flamboyant or roguish or improvisational about the experience so far, and while it has a couple more sides to it than the average Ubisoft blockbuster - not least an open world broken across multiple planets, each ruled by different gangster families - it also doesn't really have a standout feature, beyond the fact that it's a Star War.

It does a fairly good job of being a Star War, mind you. Developer Massive seem a great fit for the Lucasverse inasmuch as their previous Division games are object-worlds as exotic and scattered and greebly as any Mos Eisley cantina - fallen cityscapes with an obsessively recreated minutiae of bodybags and graffiti and crates of rations in all the colours of the rainbow. You feel that knack for location design the second you set foot in one of Outlaws' cities. There are skeevy locals lounging against walls or bars, gossiping about sabaac or the ruling crims. There are glitchy holographic ads and ship traffic overhead and gusts of industrial vapour and a rich stew of noise from heaving drug dens and marketplaces.

WWW.VG247.COM

Star Wars: Outlaws preview: a major cinematic milestone for Star Wars games.

If it's pure, rip-roaring action you want, I believe Outlaws is a little weaker when its flexing its muscles than it is when its sneaking around on its haunches. That's not for lack of merit - I had a grand time sliding across the ground, snatching other empowering weapons like blaster rifles, snipers – and even a gatling blaster – but I feel the game is at its best when you're trying to stay as silent as possible. This doesn't mark a bad game - look at Dishonored for example. An excellent game that allows you to go loud if you want, but the real meat of the experience comes when you play with subtlety.

WWW.VIDEOGAMESCHRONICLE.COM

A decade ago the world was buzzing about a behind-closed-doors demo for Star Wars 1313.

The key for us is the scale of the game. While the gunplay and the characters are enjoyable, we suspect that stretched across a 40-hour Ubisoft epic, it will become rather thin on top. However, condense it down into a 20-hour package and you’ve got a Star Wars Uncharted-like that we were extremely keen to play more of as soon as the demo ended.

Can it resist a boss fight where Luke, Han, Leia, Ackbar, Nien Nunb, and Dr. Cornelius Evazan all show up so you can clap in recognition? Who can say? Using legacy characters is fine, Respawn‘s Jedi series has done it perfectly,  but it needs to be handled with more fidelity, and less Filoni.

WWW.DIGITALTRENDS.COM

We walked away from our hands-on demo with Star Wars Outlaws excited for its story, but less impressed with its Uncharted-style gameplay.

Clearly drawing inspiration from the Uncharted video game series with its climbing, gunplay, and quippy characters, Outlaws feels a bit like a relic of the past. Granted, it’s hard to get a sense of a game like this in one sitting. This could just be a difficult game to show a small vertical slice of when the bigger picture could be more interesting. However, the three sections I played left me wanting more.

As I crept around corners, hitting X to knock the guards out, I couldn’t help but feel like Outlaws felt a bit antiquated. I’ve done and seen missions like this countless times before, but this time it has a new shiny Star Wars skin on it. It all culminated in a climactic chase through the areas I just traversed with the walls crumbling around me, narrowly escaping death each time. I hopped on a speeder bike, and the demo faded to black. It was a fine but muted start.

WWW.IGN.COM

After playing an hour-long preview, Star Wars Outlaws shows promise as an action-adventure game worthy of the Star Wars name.

It’s rough around the edges as of however old this build was, but exploring the galaxy as protagonist Kay Vess and getting into dirty business in this three-part demo was refreshing, even though a lot of its gameplay felt familiar.

I do think Outlaws sometimes relies too heavily on the design conventions of an Uncharted or Tomb Raider. For instance, another part of the demo had me platforming and climbing structures to retrieve a relic tucked away deep in this abandoned reactor. It seemed like every other room had the ground falling under me in an attempt to create tension, but we’ve seen this rug-pull trick far too many times for it to be a surprise. And the controls aren’t quite precise enough to make jumping gaps, scaling walls, or shimmying across ledges feel natural – this is something action-adventure games of this kind have figured out in years past so it’s a bit disappointing that Star Wars Outlaws struggles here. Hopefully that's on the fix-it list for the last few months before launch.

So at this stage I can say that Star Wars Outlaws shows a lot of promise, but as usual we'll have to wait and see how many of the things that struck me as a little off can be smoothed out ahead of launch. (Never tell me the odds!) Even though it’s borrowing a lot from what we’ve seen in games like Uncharted and Tomb Raider, the Star Wars universe is ripe for that style of game. More stories outside of the Jedi-Sith framework are also appreciated, especially ones that dig deeper into the criminal underworld and the implications it has on the rest of the Star Wars world. Gameplay may not be as fluid or satisfying as the games that it’ll be compared to, or even the Star Wars Jedi series, but there’s a good variety of mechanics and systems that meld really well.

TECHRAPTOR.NET

Star Wars Outlaws is to fans of the series' lovable scoundrels as the Star Wars Jedi series is to lightsaber lovers. Here's our hands-on preview!

That aspect is what I am personally the most excited for in Outlaws. What helped set Star Wars apart from the beginning was how so much of the universe is run-down, used, and worn. Dirt, grime, and rust cover the daily objects people use.

Outlaws is the first time we really get to dig in with what they day-to-day people in the Star Wars universe deal with. Jedi stories are often just too high level and take players to ruins or sterile environments, like Empire bases, or empty ancient ruins.

Star Wars is a rich universe that is now spending some serious time beyond the Jedi, like with The Mandalorian and Andor. Outlaws joins those ranks to further expand the different unique lifepaths that make Star Wars so interesting.

We've had many games where we could be a Luke Skywalker stand-in, now we've all got a chance to shoot first as our own Han Solo.

WWW.SHACKNEWS.COM

We explored three different parts of Star Wars Outlaws and while we played as lead character Kay Vess, we were never alone.

Star Wars Outlaws offers the refreshing experience of being a scoundrel. That specific role-playing element is what's going to make this game appealing. That's not to say there aren't some issues that have me a little concerned. It's mainly the controls. Players will be interacting with a lot of objects and I'm certainly not used to interacting with those objects using the right thumbstick. In several instances, I tried using the X button on the Xbox controller, which would instead have Kay throw a punch. Then I would try the A button, which would make her jump. In some cases, I even used RT, but that shot her blaster. That last one should probably go without saying, so that one may be on me. Nonetheless, interacting with the right thumbstick isn't common and may throw some players for a loop.

With some reservations in mind, I still can't help but be excited about what awaits in the full Star Wars Outlaws game. Because I was held to limited vertical slice demos, I didn't have a chance to truly test the game's open-world potential. That's a major component of the game, so any questions about how that works are unstandable. With that said, being a scoundrel is fun and the dynamic between Kay and Nix is beautifully wholesome. There's more to see from Star Wars Outlaws, so we'll be waiting to see what else awaits in the full package when the game releases on PC, PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series X|S on Friday, August 30.

PRESS-START.COM.AU

Star Wars Outlaws Hands-On Preview – A Gunslinging Romp

Having gone hands-on with three distinct missions from within the Outlaws story, it feels like several games rolled into one. There’s a stealth game that places importance on infiltrating strongholds while overriding locks with a Dataspike, there’s a bombastic action-shooter that falls in line with the fundamentals of Massive’s The Division franchise, there’s a rad dogfighting game full of spectacular low-orbit skirmishes against gorgeous backdrops, and there’s a crisp platforming game that feels like a “something borrowed” from Respawn’s Jedi, a sort of sister franchise for Outlaws. Most staggering of all, there’s a level of polish and production poured into each of these elements most games could only hope for—it truly has the aura of an expensive game. 

WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

Preview | I tried out three different missions in Star Wars Outlaws and Kay and Nix's teamwork was a constant highlight

Star Wars Outlaws certainly seems ambitious from what I've seen so far, and as a longtime Star Wars fan, it's a joy to soak in the details and keep an eye out for Easter eggs that bring me right into this period of the Star Wars timeline. I didn't get to ride on the Speeder much before my session came to a close, or experience much of the open-world, but I'm eager to see more of this setting when it arrives later this year. One thing's for sure: I'm already a fan of Kay and Nix's partnership in and out of combat. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Star Wars Outlaws (PC/Xbox Series/PS5 | 30 August 2024) - update (06/10): hands-on previews posted

All it has to do is be casually fun enough and let you do virtual star wars tourism and it’s FINE. Just don’t make it where it’s actively punishing you for trying to have fun and it’ll be great. I wish I wasn’t like 70 to 30 odds that they hit this goal tho!

The critics generally don't like Ubisoft open world games very much.  And a lot of them start off pretty "weak" because of the skill tree.  It's not until you get 5-6 hours in, do you really start opening up the skill tree enough to appreciate what the game is.

IMHO, a 1-hour demo from an early mission is never going to give super positive impressions from this style of game.

• Halal 1
  • Hugs 1

33 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The critics generally don't like Ubisoft open world games very much.  And a lot of them start off pretty "weak" because of the skill tree.  It's not until you get 5-6 hours in, do you really start opening up the skill tree enough to appreciate what the game is.

IMHO, a 1-hour demo from an early mission is never going to give super positive impressions from this style of game.

Don't they generally give you a demo at a point in the game where you have a decent set of skills and stuff available for these kinds of games?

1 minute ago, Firewithin said:

Don't they generally give you a demo at a point in the game where you have a decent set of skills and stuff available for these kinds of games?

It can vary.  However, 1 of the purposes of giving you the skills over time is so that you can learn to use them.  Even if they were to unlock all the systems for the demo [which I don't think they do], the person in the preview would never be able to pick most of them up in a 1 hour demo.

WWW.POLYGON.COM

Ubisoft’s open-world scoundrel sim feels like Star Wars Jedi mixed with Uncharted

The best thing about the “Han Solo simulator” concept is that you’re playing as a Star Wars character who doesn’t have a lot of power — no Jedi powers, obviously, but also no significant social or structural power. The actual power fantasy here is being a cool person with high charisma, because that’s really all you’ve got. Well, also a grappling hook and weirdly good parkour skills, but you get where I’m going with this. It’s part of why Andor was an interesting slice of the Star Wars pie; it was about regular people, albeit regular people who became rebels rather than scumbags. It’s fascinating to see what the Star Wars universe looks like at ground level rather than from an epic space-opera vantage point — and that’s what an open-world Han Solo simulator could potentially achieve, provided it has some decent story beats and good one-liners along the way.

Based on what I played, whether you like this game will depend in part on whether you like the Uncharted and Star Wars Jedi games. And yet, those aren’t open-world games, and I didn’t get to see enough of the hubs or side quests to know if Star Wars Outlaws is going to be as sweeping and borderline overwhelming as some other Ubisoft open-world games have been (looking at you, Assassin’s Creed Odyssey).

2 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

I want to be excited for this.  But even before initial feed back it just looks boring to me. The criminal underworld part of Star Wars is not something I’ll ever care about. 

15 hours ago, Biggie said:

Very forgettable 

• Wrong 1

17 minutes ago, Brian said:

For an IP, I’m all about the vibes and setting. Hogwarts nailed that part so it was easy to overlook the gameplay. As long as the combat is serviceable, I’m in. 

This is where I currently stand as well. 

• Hugs 1

• 4 weeks later...
WWW.SHACKNEWS.COM

Ubisoft's open-world Star Wars game arrives at the end of August.

We’re just under two months from the release of Star Wars Outlaws, the ambitious open-world adventure game developed by Massive Entertainment and published by Ubisoft. As we near the game’s late summer launch, the developers have announced that they crossed a major milestone. Star Wars Outlaws has officially gone gold.

Ubisoft and Massive Entertainment announced that Star Wars Outlaws has gone gold in a post on X. “Our team can't wait for you to start exploring the Outer Rim and living the life of a scoundrel,” the post reads. It’s accompanied by a brief video showcasing cinematics from the game’s campaign.

• Shocked 1
  • Hype 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Star Wars Outlaws (PC/Xbox Series/PS5 | 30 August 2024) - update (07/05): "gold" status announced
1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Does "Gone Gold" mean much anymore?  There are likely so many bugs left in the game, that if you don't get the D1P, it would be a nightmare to play.

Not really, but it's just an industry tradition at this point.

• True 1

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Does "Gone Gold" mean much anymore?  There are likely so many bugs left in the game, that if you don't get the D1P, it would be a nightmare to play.

I guess it just means there is definitely not another delay?

Edit: Has a game ever been delayed after “going gold”?

WWW.IGN.COM

How Massive Entertainment built the first open world Star Wars game, and what you'll be doing in it.

“I think, in general, making games is really tough. Making open-world games is really, really tough. And making Star Wars open-world games is the next level of difficulty.”

Julian Gerighty, creative director at Massive Entertainment, is up for a challenge. For the first time ever, we’re getting a fully open-world Star Wars video game. It’s been a long time coming, but after back-to-back successes with both The Division and The Division 2, Gerighty was in the mood to take a risk.

“I think this is maybe just my approach, but even if it's scary, you've got to do it,” he says. “You've got to lean into it. What's the downside to pitching a Star Wars game in San Francisco at LucasFilm Games in George Lucas' old office? [...] If it doesn't work, it doesn't work, but you still have that experience.”

Fast forward several years after that meeting and Massive Entertainment is less than two months away from releasing Star Wars Outlaws, a fully realised version of the original pitch described in that office: an open world of dual ambitions – maintain the cinematic legacy of the films, and create immersive scoundrel gameplay that grants you the freedom of the galaxy.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Star Wars Outlaws (PC/Xbox Series/PS5 | 30 August 2024) - update (07/05): Star Wars Outlaws Wants to Be Your Dream "Open Galaxy" (IGN First)