Star Wars Outlaws (PC/Xbox Series/PS5) - update (09/07): hotfix for early insta-fail stealth missions coming within "10 days" per creative director

AbsolutSurgen

5 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Yes Death Stranding was amazing. Kojima is amazing. All his games are amazing. Kojima is God. 

I have to agree with you. I'm also 15 hours in MGSV and it's so good. Kojima is a nut case but also a genius. 

2 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Who cares what it is?  Did you see that eyeball?? Fucking amazing. 

It is, this game has probably one of the best RT reflection effects in games so far

I was actually sad playing this yesterday because I know stepee would love the RTX effects. We were talking about how few games use RTX Global Illumination despite how great it is just a few months ago and this game uses it. I know he was looking forward to seeing more games with RTXGI.

Oh, and this is the uncropped image.

IMG-9574.png

• stepee 1
  • Hugs 2

16 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

It is, this game has probably one of the best RT reflection effects in games so far

I was actually sad playing this yesterday because I know stepee would love the RTX effects. We were talking about how few games use RTX Global Illumination despite how great it is just a few months ago and this game uses it. I know he was looking forward to seeing more games with RTXGI.

Oh, and this is the uncropped image.

Playing in 720p though?

@Spork3245 this tore me up today. I know how much he was looking forward to this coming out. 

MYNINTENDONEWS.COM

Video game analyst David Gibson is of the firm opinion that the successor to the Nintendo Switch will be unveiled this month and will be released in March 2025. Gibson even went as far as to say the…

• stepee 1
  • Hugs 2
  • Hype 1

16 minutes ago, Biggie said:

@Spork3245 this tore me up today. I know how much he was looking forward to this coming out. 

MYNINTENDONEWS.COM

Video game analyst David Gibson is of the firm opinion that the successor to the Nintendo Switch will be unveiled this month and will be released in March 2025. Gibson even went as far as to say the…

Yea he was really looking forward to the Switch 2. Even was going to buy you one. :(

• stepee 1

3 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Sounds like you may be running out of VRAM, due to the reported memory leak.  I believe this game dynamically adjusts texture quality based on the amount of available VRAM.  So, over time the texture quality might fall.

it is interesting that I didn’t run into it last night. I am not sure if using fixed vs biased scaling method affected that. I have a suspicion that when already set to output 4K, biased is either unnecessary or bugged. That maybe it is constantly trying to dynamically adjust things like texture quality and input resolution. When I switched to fixed the frame rate increased, frame times decreases.

so I wonder if the memory leak is either because of or compounded by biased trying dynamically load in textures of various quality and upscale them to meet the desired output resolution. Eventually you run out of VRAM or some buffer. My guess being maybe it is like setting the output resolution to 4K, resolution scale to Quality, and when set to biased mode it keeps fluctuating between Quality, balanced, and Performance scaling to maintain the 4k output and as high an fps as possible. But it is choking itself in the process. 

5 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

To say the graphics in this game are "bad" is nutty.

yeah. The two biggest things that seem to suffer are character models and animations. Namely human character models, and even more specifically their faces. And well, many animations in the game just seem stiff. Mass Effect Andromeda got roasted for facial animations this stiff and underwhelming. Kay’s grapple and swing is another overly stiff set of animations that really stand out, looking years behind the likes of Tomb Raider (2013) and any PS3 Uncharted game. And maybe it is a limitation of the snowdrop engine that you can’t get really fluid animations. Or at least for certain things. 

5 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

yeah. The two biggest things that seem to suffer are character models and animations. Namely human character models, and even more specifically their faces. And well, many animations in the game just seem stiff. Mass Effect Andromeda got roasted for facial animations this stiff and underwhelming. Kay’s grapple and swing is another overly stiff set of animations that really stand out, looking years behind the likes of Tomb Raider (2013) and any PS3 Uncharted game. And maybe it is a limitation of the snowdrop engine that you can’t get really fluid animations. Or at least for certain things. 

Maybe your game is still broken? :p 

IMG-9575.jpg
IMG-9576.jpg
IMG-9577.jpg
IMG-9578.jpg
IMG-9579.jpg

• Shocked 1

41 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

it is interesting that I didn’t run into it last night. I am not sure if using fixed vs biased scaling method affected that. I have a suspicion that when already set to output 4K, biased is either unnecessary or bugged. That maybe it is constantly trying to dynamically adjust things like texture quality and input resolution. When I switched to fixed the frame rate increased, frame times decreases.

so I wonder if the memory leak is either because of or compounded by biased trying dynamically load in textures of various quality and upscale them to meet the desired output resolution. Eventually you run out of VRAM or some buffer. My guess being maybe it is like setting the output resolution to 4K, resolution scale to Quality, and when set to biased mode it keeps fluctuating between Quality, balanced, and Performance scaling to maintain the 4k output and as high an fps as possible. But it is choking itself in the process. 

I am not sure.  I have seen various articles mentioning that a memory leak had been confirmed.

In the DF video, Alex mentioned that texture quality wasn't available in the settings but was automatically selected, and would be decreased if you ran low on VRAM.

Turning on Ray Reconstruction and frame generation apparently use a lot of VRAM.

9 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Again, back to the DF video.  The cutscene character models look worse than the real time ones.  The animation was worse for the cut scenes as well.

Alex made a point of how stupid this is.

On that less than positive note, I want to go into some of the things that Outlaws does not do well, requiring improvement. For example, characters look better in gameplay than they do in cinematics, which applies to Kay and all the lead cast, but also NPCs too. Kay's stilted animation and lighting do her no favours in cutscenes, almost making her look like a different character altogether - an animatron in comparison to the life-like person seen in gameplay. In most triple-A fare, cinematics fare much better than in-game characters, but not here. In the grand scheme of things, I am happy that fewer resources are spent on cutscenes than gameplay fidelity, but it is jarring when the game switches to cinematics where everything looks so stilted in comparison to the otherwise naturalistic feeling of the gameplay scenes.

22 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

her face still like like an animatronic from a Disney theme park.  

as if we are playing as a random GTA NPC but with better hair and clothing. lol 

Outside of cinematics I certainly haven’t noticed any of what you’re describing :p 

Even if it’s true, you think that means that the game has bad graphics? Really? :raisedbrow:

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

Even if it’s true, you think that means that the game has bad graphics? Really? :raisedbrow:

I never said I thought the game overall had bad graphics. Quite the contrary. But I do think it has obvious areas where it could be better to better match the quality of the world around them. 

• Halal 1

20 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I never said I thought the game overall had bad graphics. Quite the contrary. But I do think it has obvious areas where it could be better to better match the quality of the world around them. 

Sure, but my post was about people complaining that the game has bad graphics and is ugly, I never said the graphics were perfect :p 

Difficulty spikes in video games are nothing new, but in the case of Star Wars Outlaws early missions they are a bit too punishing - even for the developer's taste. However, the developers at Ubisoft Massive can "see through data" some elements that are not working as intended.

We asked creative director Julian Gerighty about the game's controversial instant-fail stealth missions. "So especially, I mean, you're probably thinking of one of the early missions in Mirogana, which is incredibly punishing," Gerighty tells GamesRadar+. "And for me, that is a mistake, and this is something that we're going to work on improving." He goes on to say "I don't think it means removing the fail state completely, but I do think there are millions of low hanging fruits where we can make it so much more enjoyable and understandable."

Difficulty comes in all forms, and Gerighty wants to create a "sort of tension" in these moments. However, things are currently not tuned how the team intended. Gerighty tells GamesRadar+ that "we just don't want it to feel unfair. And today, I think it feels unfair. And believe it or not, this wasn't our intention. This is more of something that crept in in the last week or so, and that we're correcting already for a patch that's coming out maybe in 10 days."

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Star Wars Outlaws (PC/Xbox Series/PS5) - update (09/07): hotfix for early insta-fail stealth missions coming within "10 days" per creative director
1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Think I'm gonna mainline the story in this game and then go back and explore the open world after beating it. This is definitely an open world I can exist in for awhile. On my way to getting my third crew member.

I like to mix in a bit of the open world stuff, but with some open world games I worry about getting fatigued on the game and never finishing it as a result of spending 60+ hours faffing about. 

2 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I like to mix in a bit of the open world stuff, but with some open world games I worry about getting fatigued on the game and never finishing it as a result of spending 60+ hours faffing about. 

Which is why I'm focusing on the main story. Then I can explore the open world at my leisure.

44 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

How is it? 

I haven’t paid much attention, too much other stuff going on. I might get to it after Space Marine 2.

Check out opencritic. The reviews are pretty spot on from what I played.