Star Wars Outlaws (PC/Xbox Series/PS5) - update (09/07): hotfix for early insta-fail stealth missions coming within "10 days" per creative director

AbsolutSurgen

7 minutes ago, Biggie said:

No the gif was a representation of me looking at the mid reviews and being shocked y’all are playing this. 

The reviews are so inconsistent. Some say it's a great game and then some say it's just an average "safe" game.

I haven't played it in a few days because I'm addicted to Kojima games atm. But nothing that I played made me say "wow".

2 minutes ago, Best said:

The reviews are so inconsistent. Some say it's a great game and then some say it's just an average "safe" game.

I haven't played it in a few days because I'm addicted to Kojima games atm. But nothing that I played made me say "wow".

does a game have to make you say wow? 

it’s okay if you play an average game 

3 minutes ago, johnny said:

does a game have to make you say wow? 

it’s okay if you play an average game 

No it doesn't have to make me say "wow" but nothing about it made me want to come back to it. I kinda dropped it after two sessions. 

I'll get back to it for sure when I feel like playing a Star Wars game. 

20 minutes ago, Best said:

Which Kojima games?

15 minutes ago, Best said:

No it doesn't have to make me say "wow" but nothing about it made me want to come back to it. I kinda dropped it after two sessions. 

I'll get back to it for sure when I feel like playing a Star Wars game. 

That’s not a good thing with a brand new game. Remember when I refunded the 2K Tennis game after a few hours. Your reaction the next day was gold Jerry gold. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Biggie said:

That’s not a good thing with a brand new game. Remember when I refunded the 2K Tennis game after a few hours. Your reaction the next day was gold Jerry gold. 

Well to be fair I did play Outlaws for over 4 hours. You played 2K tennis for 7 minutes and dropped it lol. 

• Haha 1

boo. The game won’t stop crashing on Kijimi. I ran a scan to verify the game files and was informed some files were corrupt. Upon trying to redownload them I keep getting a “Disk access” error. I’ve got 438GB of free space and even tried running Ubisoft Connect as admin. The game will still launch like this from the desktop icon, but crashes within 20 minutes. 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

boo. The game won’t stop crashing on Kijimi. I ran a scan to verify the game files and was informed some files were corrupt. Upon trying to redownload them I keep getting a “Disk access” error. I’ve got 438GB of free space and even tried running Ubisoft Connect as admin. The game will still launch like this from the desktop icon, but crashes within 20 minutes. 

Have you tried completely uninstalling and redownloading?

18 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Told ya game sucks

Harrison Ford Shrug GIF by Star Wars

Just now, Spork3245 said:

Do you have a limit set in the app? It was legit downloading at 100MB/sec for me. 

nope. I checked. It defaults to unlimited. Even if I set the limit to 200MB/s it doesn’t increase. While downloading I do a speed test that is coming in at 300Mb/s. I had this issue initially downloading the game. Googled it and saw it was a known issue. People suggested ending task on all Ubisoft tasks running and then relaunching Ubisoft Connect. This worked to get me up to about 20MB/s, but only for less than a minute and it would fall back down to 8MB/s again. Fearing all the ending tasks and relaunching caused something to corrupt or incorrectly download I am just going to suffer the slower speed for now. 

Started this up and played a couple hours this afternoon. Got to the point where things open up a bit and you can start choosing between different factions. I think having minimal expectations helped, because I’m having a lot of fun. 

• Halal 1

31 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I seriously don’t have that issue with Ubisoft DLs. I got >640 Mb/s DLing this game (which is pretty typical for me with them). 
Do you have something weird with your setup?

I doubt it. I get over 500mb/s on steam and over 30MB/s on Xbox app when downloading games all the time. 

So maybe redownloading the game did the trick. No crashing so far, which by now would have happened probably twice already. 

I like how dense and lived in these cities are. On top of that I like when you find a vista and notice that you’re only exploring just a small part of a much larger city. And Kay(you) just one if thousands going on about their day. 

I've put in a few more good hours and I've been having some more technical issues. Thankfully nothing hard crashing like @Spawn_of_Apathy, but it seems like after a certain amount of playtime if I go to a new area everything just reverts to the lowest level of detail possible and stays that way until I quit the game. I was trying out a bunch of the RTXGI and the ray reconstruction stuff, and while it is kind of cool, it seems like there are a lot of visual trade offs that made it not very worthwhile. I feel like a patch or two is needed to clean up the technical issues and smooth things out a bit.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I've put in a few more good hours and I've been having some more technical issues. Thankfully nothing hard crashing like @Spawn_of_Apathy, but it seems like after a certain amount of playtime if I go to a new area everything just reverts to the lowest level of detail possible and stays that way until I quit the game. I was trying out a bunch of the RTXGI and the ray reconstruction stuff, and while it is kind of cool, it seems like there are a lot of visual trade offs that made it not very worthwhile. I feel like a patch or two is needed to clean up the technical issues and smooth things out a bit.

The crashing seems to be gone. Sounds like what you’re seeing now is likely that memory leak issue. I get that too sometimes. 

So, two settings that helped performance and enjoyment. Upscaler mode set to fixed gave me a 20-30fps boost. Unsure why as from what some found in Avatar the internal resolution didn’t change when output resolution was set to 4k. And I am using the cinematic 21:9 mode. It makes the game feel more like a movie, but also feels like an FOV I prefer to full screen. 

So I am still high and ultra on everything, including RTXDI and Ray Reconstruction and getting ~90fps indoors and almost never below 60fps outdoors, even when speeder biking. 

• Halal 1

So the game is “clicking” for me finally. It actually started last night and felt like it got even better tonight. A combination of how you can get quests or learn about secrets help makes the world feel alive, and it can feel like stuff I can do along the way. At the moment some of decisions and side quests feel like it is all tied into the main story too. 

And also the more upgrades to the blaster I get the more shoot out engagements feel more fun. I just had a story mission on Kijimi that had me feeling “I hope there are more like this”. 

the game is still flawed in areas, but there’s also some charm starting to show through. At times feeling like even if this wasn’t star wars I’d be starting to enjoy it about as much as I am now. But being Star Wars there’s so many things I recognize. I like that even if the game started in a city featured in a movie and I knew before booting the game for the first time that Tatooine is in the game, I have so far been to two planets and major cities not prominently featured in another show or movie. I have no idea if these places featured in something like Star Wars Galaxies or SWTOR, so to me they feel like additions to the galaxy. 

Also, Outlaws’s Kijimi > Starfield’s Akila “City”. By comparison any city in Starfield feels more like a small settlement. I like the feeling that Kay could disappear in the city. Get lost in the crowd. Take a wrong turn and end up hours away from the ship. As a setting the major cities so far almost feel like living cities. 

I loved sitting down and sharing a meal with Nix. I don’t care about the mini game, but the whole thing has a cute vibe like Monster Hunter and many other games that make a deal out of being fed. lol 

46 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

loved sitting down and sharing a meal with Nix. I don’t care about the mini game, but the whole thing has a cute vibe like Monster Hunter and many other games that make a deal out of being fed. lol 

Those mini games actually unlock more abilites for Nix. One makes him automatically knock grenades away, I forget what the second one I did does. Aslo i think from a narrative standpoint it binds you more to Nix. I'm already dreading the potential that something may happen to the little guy.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Those mini games actually unlock more abilites for Nix. One makes him automatically knock grenades away, I forget what the second one I did does. Aslo i think from a narrative standpoint it binds you more to Nix. I'm already dreading the potential that something may happen to the little guy.

yeah I saw where I could equip Nix with a snack that would allow him to distract multiple people at the same time. 

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

There are people out there complaining this has bad graphics.

Meanwhile, Nix’s eyes on PC:

IMG-9573.png

I am a sucker for lighting and shadows getting more realistic. Raytracing/path tracing is why I got a 4080. Ray traced Ambient occlusion and global illumination with multiple bounce paths can make so many subtle minor changes that makes a game world look less video gamey. I sometimes think reflections are a little too mirror like at times in games, and it is no different in this game. Some reflections go almost unnoticed, but I think it is again a subtle layer that allows your mind to just believe in the environment. 

but most character models I’ve seen do seem lower quality compared to the world they inhabit. 

14 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Sounds like you may be running out of VRAM, due to the reported memory leak.  I believe this game dynamically adjusts texture quality based on the amount of available VRAM.  So, over time the texture quality might fall.

1 hour ago, Best said:

On PS5 it looks pretty nice but not top tier.

PC version is beautiful though so you can't shame that. 

I know right!!! I love when you can zoom all the way in on a eyeball and enjoy those graphics!

11 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I know right!!! I love when you can zoom all the way in on a eyeball and enjoy those graphics!

Lol. BTW, speaking of great graphics. I'm 12 hours in Death Stranding directors cut and the visuals are absolutely spectacular on my deck. 

I really love this game. It's extremely addicting and so relaxing to play. 

If I recall you enjoyed this too?

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, Best said:

Lol. BTW, speaking of great graphics. I'm 12 hours in Death Stranding directors cut and the visuals are absolutely spectacular on my deck. 

I really love this game. It's extremely addicting and so relaxing to play. 

If I recall you enjoyed this too?

Yes Death Stranding was amazing. Kojima is amazing. All his games are amazing. Kojima is God. 

• Haha 1