Star Wars Outlaws (PC/Xbox Series/PS5) - update (09/07): hotfix for early insta-fail stealth missions coming within "10 days" per creative director

AbsolutSurgen

5 minutes ago, legend said:

Think I'm going to keep waiting a bit for some more patches before jumping in.

Also, I feel torn because it sounds like this game might really benefit from frame gen, but I'm still on my peasant 3080 :p Come on Nvidia, release the 50xx already!

50xx powered for generative AI, very cool cards that will help with gaming!

12 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

So I like the world and the world building. Everything else is AAA standard fare.

If only it was a AAAA game it might have grabbed your attention for longer.

• Hype 1

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I crave a SW ARPG with this depth of world building though, that is the dream. 

For all intents and purposes, that's what this game is. It makes sense to play this game more stealthily but you can totall go in guns blazing if you want in a lot of missions. Except for the ones where you fail if you get caught, but I unlocked an ability that gives Kay the ability to fast talk her way out of those situations I think. At at least gives you a second to bullshit whoever caught you and then gun them down before they alert anyone. You can also sabotage their alarm panels so when they run to sound the alarm it doesn't work. I also use Nix a lot to distract enemies.

One thing that takes me out of the world, and this has been an issue in Star Wars since the original trilogy, is Kat being able to knock out Storm Troopers with nothing but her bare hands. The guys are wearing armor for god's sake. What is the Empire making that armor out of, styrofoam? I rember in one of the original trilogy movies, somebody knocking a Stormtrooper out with a stick or something and I thought that was bullshit then too.

Other than that my nitpicks are non existent. The lockpicking mini game has even grown on me as those tougher locks seem to be pretty rare. I've only encountered them twice. Most of the locks are fairly simple to pick. You'll know when you get to the harder ones because it's four beats instead of two and the are pretty damned fast.

• Halal 1

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

For all intents and purposes, that's what this game is. It makes sense to play this game more stealthily but you can totall go in guns blazing if you want in a lot of missions. Except for the ones where you fail if you get caught, but I unlocked an ability that gives Kay the ability to fast talk her way out of those situations I think. At at least gives you a second to bullshit whoever caught you and then gun them down before they alert anyone. You can also sabotage their alarm panels so when they run to sound the alarm it doesn't work. I also use Nix a lot to distract enemies.

One thing that takes me out of the world, and this has been an issue in Star Wars since the original trilogy, is Kat being able to knock out Storm Troopers with nothing but her bare hands. The guys are wearing armor for god's sake. What is the Empire making that armor out of, styrofoam? I rember in one of the original trilogy movies, somebody knocking a Stormtrooper out with a stick or something and I thought that was bullshit then too.

Other than that my nitpicks are non existent. The lockpicking mini game has even grown on me as those tougher locks seem to be pretty rare. I've only encountered them twice. Most of the locks are fairly simple to pick. You'll know when you get to the harder ones because it's four beats instead of two and the are pretty damned fast.

If I can genuinely go guns a blazing if I want/need to then I will stick with it, because I do love the atmosphere. I just really don't like magic rule in magic area means game is different here. Also, I know people love stealth, but I genuinely do not. To each there own, its not a knock on the game itself but rather a thing I will weigh when choosing to keep playing or quite. As for storm troopers, its very silly that their armor has never really done anything but provide them with their fascist visual identity. That said, much of Star Wars is quite silly as its definitely more fantasy in space than Sci-Fi per say. They are the "future Nazi" that simultaneously is feared across the galaxy and yet in most on screen (movie or games) encounters manages to bungle their missions. 

7 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

If I can genuinely go guns a blazing if I want/need to then I will stick with it, because I do love the atmosphere. I just really don't like magic rule in magic area means game is different here. Also, I know people love stealth, but I genuinely do not. To each there own, its not a knock on the game itself but rather a thing I will weigh when choosing to keep playing or quite. As for storm troopers, its very silly that their armor has never really done anything but provide them with their fascist visual identity. That said, much of Star Wars is quite silly as its definitely more fantasy in space than Sci-Fi per say. They are the "future Nazi" that simultaneously is feared across the galaxy and yet in most on screen (movie or games) encounters manages to bungle their missions. 

Some missions have a strict "don't get caught" or "don't raise the alarm" rule for sure but even those, you can take someone out before they alert anyone or raise the alarms for the most part. I think most of those strict rule missions are mostly story missions. I'm still pretty early in the game but I've done some space missions and started to build my rep and take different jobs from different brokers. I noticed there's some high difficulty jobs you only get ONE shot at. I haven't tried any of those yet, but I wonder how tough they are.

3 hours ago, legend said:

Think I'm going to keep waiting a bit for some more patches before jumping in.

Also, I feel torn because it sounds like this game might really benefit from frame gen, but I'm still on my peasant 3080 :p Come on Nvidia, release the 50xx already!

All of the eye candy needs frame gen. It’s not even really an option without it. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, johnny said:

played a few hours today and am really liking it! the gameplay isn’t as tight as fallen order but it’s been fine so far. the lock picking hasn’t been bad. i think once it clicks for you it’s not difficult.

I've found that most of the lockpicking puzzles are VERY easy... usually two slow beeps to match. The one I came across that was giving me so much trouble was four really fast clicks and the fourth one was the hardest one to match.  I've only come across that twice though and I eventually solved it both times. I've kept the lockpicking turned on though. The platforming is as good as Jedi Fallen Order, if not Uncharted. I did a very platforming heavy section yesterday.

3 hours ago, Biggie said:

This game will be on sale very soon. 

Im Sure No Doubt GIF by Star Wars

I mean... yeah? Ubi games usually go on sale not long after they drop. I'd be surprised if this isn't on sale by Christmas at the latest.

• Halal 1

30 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I've found that most of the lockpicking puzzles are VERY easy... usually two slow beeps to match. The one I came across that was giving me so much trouble was four really fast clicks and the fourth one was the hardest one to match.  I've only come across that twice though and I eventually solved it both times. I've kept the lockpicking turned on though. The platforming is as good as Jedi Fallen Order, if not Uncharted. I did a very platforming heavy section yesterday.

I mean... yeah? Ubi games usually go on sale not long after they drop. I'd be surprised if this isn't on sale by Christmas at the latest.

yeah i agree on the climbing. i’m a little skeptical of the gunplay but we’ll see as i upgrade my pistol. it’s not bad but it’s kinda eh right now. i wish i could have a couple weapons instead of just using what i pick up from others 

1 hour ago, johnny said:

yeah i agree on the climbing. i’m a little skeptical of the gunplay but we’ll see as i upgrade my pistol. it’s not bad but it’s kinda eh right now. i wish i could have a couple weapons instead of just using what i pick up from others 

I got an upgrade that fires the pistol more rapidly. I think the ide of Kay's blaster is that it's versatile enough through upgrades to suit whatever playstyle or "feel" you are going for. I'm still upgrading. I think Kay having one gun fits her character... she can handle herself in a fight but she's no one man army. I think it fits that she can use weapons she finds in the field but her go to is always going to be her personal blaster. Kinda like Han Solo and his iconic gun.  

On another note when we were kids, my little sister when she was about 2 would always come up to us when we were eating something and point to it and say "I don't want that" meaning she really DID want it... You can always tell how interested @Biggie is in a game when he incessantly trolls the topic and shit-posts about it :p 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The platforming is as good as Jedi Fallen Order, if not Uncharted. I did a very platforming heavy section yesterday.

hmm, I don’t know about that. Maybe if you only compare the opening hour of Fallen Order to Outlaws. Once you get into using force powers to navigate in Fallen Order it moves ahead. And then Survivor is far beyond Outlaws. 

Even the grapple is underwhelming. I used it at a spot to get into an imperial base, but you can’t use to get out. The grapple icon was there, but I never got the input prompt to use it. 

like the stealth mechanics, the platforming in the game feels very basic. In many locations climbing and platforming feels like it was added as an after thought, rather than built around it. 

1 minute ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

hmm, I don’t know about that. Maybe if you only compare the opening hour of Fallen Order to Outlaws. Once you get into using force powers to navigate in Fallen Order it moves ahead. And then Survivor is far beyond Outlaws. 

Even the grapple is underwhelming. I used it at a spot to get into an imperial base, but you can’t use to get out. The grapple icon was there, but I never got the input prompt to use it. 

like the stealth mechanics, the platforming in the game feels very basic. In many locations climbing and platforming feels like it was added as an after thought, rather than built around it. 

How far are you in the game? I did a main story mission yesterday that was totally designed around platforming and as I said, I found it as good as Fallen Order (minus the force powers) and definitely as good as anything I played in the Uncharted series. I'm definitely not getting the feeling that either stealth or platforming is designed as an after thought. 

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

How far are you in the game? I did a main story mission yesterday that was totally designed around platforming and as I said, I found it as good as Fallen Order (minus the force powers) and definitely as good as anything I played in the Uncharted series. I'm definitely not getting the feeling that either stealth or platforming is designed as an after thought. 

I can now go to another planet. Which I tried to do, but the game crashed so I went to bed. 

53 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

On another note when we were kids, my little sister when she was about 2 would always come up to us when we were eating something and point to it and say "I don't want that" meaning she really DID want it... You can always tell how interested @Biggie is in a game when he incessantly trolls the topic and shit-posts about it :p 

Haha he feels left out!

• Haha 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Star Wars Outlaws (PC/Xbox Series/PS5) - update (08/31): "pushes the latest PC technologies hard - and the results are stunning" (Digital Foundry)
5 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

but that gif was Kenobi looking at the new hope for the galaxy. :nerd: Surely that means you need this game. :]

No the gif was a representation of me looking at the mid reviews and being shocked y’all are playing this.