Star Wars Outlaws (PC/Xbox Series/PS5) - update (09/07): hotfix for early insta-fail stealth missions coming within "10 days" per creative director

AbsolutSurgen

Ok I played over two hours this time but I started over. I still feel like it's extremely early to make any judgment on it. 

Funny enough I basically got every lockpick section with 2 tries tops. 

I still think it's a solid game. 

5 minutes ago, Best said:

Ok I played over two hours this time but I started over. I still feel like it's extremely early to make any judgment on it. 

Funny enough I basically got every lockpick section with 2 tries tops. 

I still think it's a solid game. 

The Phantom Menace Fear GIF by Star Wars

• Haha 1

Played for another hour or so and did a few more missions. Still side stuff, no main story yet. Upgraded my speeder bike and met some more "contacts". There's a surprising amount of platforming I'm finding in this game. Didn't think there would be. Really enjoying exploring this first planet (second if you count the tutorial planet) I've done a few more of the lockpicking puzzles so maybe that one I was stuck on was an anomaly. It was definitely the longest and most difficult so far.

• Halal 2

1 hour ago, Best said:

I have absolutely no interest in that game. I love the Star Wars universe so I know I'll keep enjoying the game. 

I can safely say you wouldn't enjoy Wukong. The last two bosses can eff right off with their poor design, tiny hit boxes and invisible grab moves that insta kill you. Yes I beat them but my sanity also took a serious beating. And I got to try a steam deck today and boy howdy.. James Sawyer Reaction GIF

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

I can safely say you wouldn't enjoy Wukong. The last two bosses can eff right off with their poor design, tiny hit boxes and invisible grab moves that insta kill you. Yes I beat them but my sanity also took a serious beating. And I got to try a steam deck today and boy howdy.. James Sawyer Reaction GIF

Yea I'm not fuckin around with that game. Did you play the OLED version?

It's so beautiful. 

55 minutes ago, Best said:

Yea I'm not fuckin around with that game. Did you play the OLED version?

It's so beautiful. 

I'm not sure if it was an OLED but I was SUPER impressed by it. I only played Elden Ring for a few minutes but it looked and ran every bit as good as it does on my PS5. Maybe the load times weren't quite as good as a PS5 but it wasn't enough to be that noticeable

1 hour ago, eventide11 said:

I'm not sure if it was an OLED but I was SUPER impressed by it. I only played Elden Ring for a few minutes but it looked and ran every bit as good as it does on my PS5. Maybe the load times weren't quite as good as a PS5 but it wasn't enough to be that noticeable

I have Elden Ring and can confirm it looks phenomenal on the OLED. Please do yourself a favor a spend a little extra for it. 

1 hour ago, Best said:

I have Elden Ring and can confirm it looks phenomenal on the OLED. Please do yourself a favor a spend a little extra for it. 

I definitely will. I've waited this long I'll be getting the best version available

• Hugs 1

16 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Wow Unisoft Connect is a piece of shit. It keeps killing the download speed, which I have to end all ubisoft services running and reopen the app to get the dl speeds back up. It’s like the difference between 40-50MB/s and dropping down to 8MB/s. Just garbage. 

Weird.  I get ~90MB/s from their servers.

I only put in an hour or so and I think the game gives off a very positive first impression. With a 4080 I was able to pump the graphics up pretty far with DLSS. It's not the most impressive game I've seen, but it looks quite good. There's a ton of environmental detail and everything gives off an appropriate Star Wars vibe. I appreciate any video game city that feels lived in and populated, and this one does that quite well. I'm pretty sure I've seen more NPCs in the first hour of this game than the last 200 hours I spent in No Man's Sky and Starfield combined. Maybe the illusion breaks if you try and explore more or it doesn't hold up in the major locations, but like I said, first impressions are good.

I did have one technical issue, though I'm not really worried. I got a notification on my PC while playing and after that my performance tanked and I started getting graphical glitches, but I assume a restart will fix it.

I did take a reviewer recommendation to turn down both my health and the health of enemies, so no one is a bullet sponge, and it feels pretty good so far. Really looking forward to digging into this one over the weekend.

• Thanks 1

OK.  I decided to ignore the advice of the experts, and set the graphics to "Outlaw" -- put the RTX direct lighting to Max.  Set DLSS to quality and added frame gen.

Just made it to the second world, and my frame rate is down to the high 50s (1440p Ultrawide).  No regrets so far.

The atmosphere of this game is great so far.  I feel like I am in the Star Wars Universe.  Really looking forward to putting more hours into this game.

• Halal 1

11 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

OK.  I decided to ignore the advice of the experts, and set the graphics to "Outlaw" -- put the RTX direct lighting to Max.  Set DLSS to quality and added frame gen.

Just made it to the second world, and my frame rate is down to the high 50s (1440p Ultrawide).  No regrets so far.

The atmosphere of this game is great so far.  I feel like I am in the Star Wars Universe.  Really looking forward to putting more hours into this game.

Yea one thing they nailed was that they created a very immersive Star Wars universe. Even on PS5 I think the game looks terrific. I'm sure it's beautiful on your rig. 

16 minutes ago, Best said:

Yea one thing they nailed was that they created a very immersive Star Wars universe. Even on PS5 I think the game looks terrific. I'm sure it's beautiful on your rig. 

Agreed. I’m really early on. 
It feels like I am in the Star Wars universe while I’m playing this game. That alone, at least for me, would be able to overcome weaknesses elsewhere. Only played just over an hour, but loved every second. 

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I’m using the Ultra preset with all the RTX on, frame gen, 4k, DLSS balanced. I get 60fps in cities and towns, but less when on speeder bike. Hell, my first speeder bike trip I dropped down to 28fps. 

54 minutes ago, Best said:

I really like the Star Wars universe and it is why I like the idea of Star Wars content. There is a bunch of word building already done, but it is also something that can be added to easily to

show us things we’ve never seen before. 

• Halal 1

So I think there may be a memory issue with the game. Eventually the game seems to struggle to load textures. Sometimes even seemingly toggling on and off. I had to close the game and relaunch the game. That worked for a bit, but then happened again and this time the game actually crashes to the desktop. 

So I played some more and did a couple of space battles. They're like simpler versions of what's in Starfield. Having fun trying to manage the relationships between the different factions. I have good relationships with Crimson Dawn but just pissed them off because I did a job for the Pykes because my reltionship with them was getting so bad I felt like they were going to start issuing shoot on sight orders. Apparently I have a bounty hunter on my tail too. Fought some Imperials too and raided a Star Destroyer which was awesome. Great game.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/geforce-graphics-cards/5/549353/star-wars-outlaws-ray-reconstruction/

This is why Ray Reconstruction is causing a performance impact for some people. Basically, when you enable Ray Reconstruction both RT Reflection settings get set to Ultra automatically and become grayed out (however, if you didn’t have it set to Ultra already, it’ll still show the lower setting despite it actually being at Ultra now)

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Digital Foundry reviews the ultra high-end PC experience in Star Wars Outlaws.

In summary though, Star Wars Outlaws does look stunning. I think Ubisoft Massive has made something special that is right up there with the best we've seen this generation, if not even better. I also want to praise the fact that Outlaws lets powerful PCs stretch their legs and is not artificially limited by console restrictions. It is nice to see a game look a lot better on PC because the developer gives users the forward-looking tech that PCs get years ahead of time.

There is greatness here, but there are also serious polish issues that need addressing. In spite of its obvious quality wins, Ray Reconstruction needs to be updated by either Nvidia or Massive to be more viable to prevent the trails behind objects and to stabilise geometry edges to prevent the 'waviness'. RTXDI needs to have its frame-time issues ironed out. And for the game in general, image quality needs to improve. Some patches are required to improve the presents, but I'm confident it'll happen - and at that point, we'll be looking at one of the best - if not the best - PC games of the year.

So I like the world and the world building. Everything else is AAA standard fare. The world feels great and draws your eyes everywhere! Sight and sounds of the SW universe pop out at you from every corner of a given location. The graphics are not just good, they are big budget cohesively dense and really sell the solidness of the world. That said, I'm playing this via UBIsoft+ as at its heart this is a stealth game and I wanted a more Dishonored approach to scoundrel life. I'll play it for as long as the frustration doesn't drive me to quit a session and after that, I feel I will have hade my fill of it. I crave a SW ARPG with this depth of world building though, that is the dream. 

• stepee 1

Think I'm going to keep waiting a bit for some more patches before jumping in.

Also, I feel torn because it sounds like this game might really benefit from frame gen, but I'm still on my peasant 3080 :p Come on Nvidia, release the 50xx already!