Star Wars Outlaws (PC/Xbox Series/PS5) - update (09/07): hotfix for early insta-fail stealth missions coming within "10 days" per creative director

AbsolutSurgen

It's a Ubisoft game, we all know it'll be a rough launch, but then in a couple months after some major patches it'll be in a more tolerable shape. Just wait for the first big sale on it. 

• Halal 1

WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

Star Wars Outlaws technical director breaks how the jump from planets to space works

Star Wars Outlaws is set to bring us a seamless open-world adventure that will not only let us explore planets but also fly through space. At the studio in Malmo, Sweden, technical director Stephen Hawes tells GamesRadar+ just how the transition between space flight and planetary surfaces works. 

Despite faster loading times being available thanks to the advancements of the latest hardware, pulling off a "seamless" open world is no easy feat. But as we were shown during our time at the studio, when you fly from an orbital region in space to a planet, you'll go through clouds and still maintain control on a fixed path before a landing sequence begins. 

"So the loading times are faster, but they will vary depending on where you're flying to and from," Hawkes begins. "We still need to unload everything and load everything because we need the memory back, so there's a few things we can do to try and speed that up. But generally what we also want to do is make sure that the thing you go to is loaded when you get there. So, the idea of flying through the clouds and then doing a little loop while we load is a way of safely making sure that we can unload everything behind you, load everything in front of you and not lose control [as the player]." 

WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

Star Wars Outlaws' GTA-like wanted system can become a "toy you can mess with" and "push as far as you want" to increase the difficulty

Star Wars Outlaws features a GTA-like wanted system that we can "mess with" to increase the level of difficulty and give ourselves an additional challenge. 

As part of our big behind-the-scenes look at Star Wars Outlaws at in the studio in Malmo, Sweden, lead systems designer Matthieu Delisle and lead gameplay designer Fredrick Thylander explained how you can "adjust the difficulty to your playstyle or your needs" and "mess with the emergence" of the wanted system "for the fun of it". 

"It's definitely a lot of fun to kind of bring it [the wanted level] to level six," Delisle says, "and then see if you can survive it. And spoiler alert, it's very difficult, especially at the beginning of the game. But as kind of an end game challenge to yourself it works really well. Also, it's quite a different experience depending on which planet you're on. Because the Empire has a different presence on the different planets, and space. Same thing with the syndicates."

"You can get into a state where the syndicates will be after you because you have a terrible reputation with them, but also the Empire," Delisle continues. "So you can be hunted by the Empire, and you can be on the bad side of the syndicates. And you can be on the bad side of several syndicates. So that's kind of like the ultimate open-world playground type of self-imposed challenge because if you push it that far, you are really looking for it. But yeah, we have mechanisms in place for you to get out of a bad spot, we have different tools for you to fix your reputation, getting contracts, there's data that the syndicates are interested in that you can trade against reputation. So there are many ways for you to get out of a tough spot. But if you want to challenge yourself [you can]." 

The chance to bring new characters to life in a galaxy far, far away in Star Wars Outlaws was a dream come true for the team at Massive. But as associate art director Marthe Jonkers explained at the studio in Malmo, Sweden, they first had to try and get a handle on how you design characters that are memorable, unique, "but still very Star Wars". As a universe that's home to so many unforgettable figures - from likable heroes to complex villains, and endearing droids - creating the open-world adventure's cast began by considering what kind of story the team wanted to tell. Once their direction was set on a scoundrel fantasy, Massive then had to set about shaping a character who could not only embody that, but also speak to what Jonkers and the team believe is at the heart of any Star Wars story: 

"Star Wars stories [like in] the original trilogy, are very much about personal stories," Jonkers says. "You're following personal stories of people and their relationships. For us, that was really important, to have a character that could take you on this journey into this underworld. We were really thinking about what kind of character we can design that can embody this scoundrel fantasy; someone that starts out as something simple like a thief, and grows into much more of a scoundrel as she gets to know the underworld." 

WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

Preview | Exploring the creation of the Trailblazer ship with Ubisoft's Massive

When it comes to creating something new within the Star Wars universe, inspiration can sometimes come from the most unexpected of places. For Star Wars Outlaws, developer Massive Entertainment not only brought to life a fresh cast, but it also designed a new ship in collaboration with LucasFilm that we'll be able to fly. Known as the Trailblazer - which lead gameplay designer Fredrick Thylander says is a ship Kay Vess has "permanently borrowed" - features a curved design. While the art team drew from the original trilogy and the '60s and '70s to make the vehicle era-appropriate, the distinctive rounded silhouette was actually influenced by lead concept artist Samuel De Vos' affinity for a particular reptile. 

"I was talking to Benedikt [Podlesnigg], the world and art director, about what the main inspiration was for the Trailblazer, and it was actually a turtle," De Vos says. "Somebody was asking me about pets, and then I remembered the only pets I ever had were two turtles. So it's really a full circle moment for me. But you can see a turtle shell; the bottom and the top part of the Trailblazer is really reminiscent of that." 

WWW.IGN.COM

A look inside Star War Outlaws’ criminal underworld.

Star Wars Outlaws takes scoundrel Kay Vess on a planet-hopping adventure as she goes in search of one big heist that will get her out of the trouble she finds herself in. Set between The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, the Imperial forces are at the peak of their powers and naturally will serve as an enemy faction. But more integral to the Outlaws experience are the crime syndicates that Kay will encounter and the scum and villainy that comes with them. Dotted throughout the galaxy, each has its own stories to tell and – more importantly – can be used to Kay’s benefit when you see fit thanks to Outlaw’s reputation system.

“Across all of [the syndicates], there are fierce rivalries that Kay is going to have to navigate,” explains narrative director Navid Khavari. “And the player's going to have to engage with the reputation system in order to get what she wants.

“You're not friends, you're not employed, you're not pledging allegiance, you are someone surviving and trying to grow a name [and a] reputation in this world,” adds Mathias Karlson, Outlaws’ game director. “Think of them as a little bit of a means to an end. What do they have to offer and what do I need and want right now?”. We’ve delved deeper into the gameplay impact of the reputation system (and how you can manipulate the syndicates) earlier in this month’s Star Wars Outlaws IGN First. But, who are these syndicates? We talked to members of the development team at Massive Entertainment to learn about the visual design of each and their place in the world of Star Wars Outlaws.

https://www.ign.com/articles/building-a-new-star-wars-moon-for-outlaws-ign-first

At the very heart of Star Wars Outlaws is the fantasy that all sci-fi fans dream of: the ability to adventure across the stars. Five different moons and planets await you, from Rise of Skywalker’s chilly Kijimi to the classic deserts of Tatooine. But while fans will recognise many of Outlaws’ locations, there’s one that they definitely won’t: Toshara.

A brand new moon crafted especially for Star Wars Outlaws by the development team at Massive Entertainment, Toshara is inspired by the East African savannah.

But while it has uniquely beautiful landscapes, it is – aptly for a game called ‘Star Wars Outlaws’ – a criminal hive.

“It's run by a corrupt imperial governor,” says Navid Khavari, Outlaws’ narrative director. “And while the Empire is in charge, this is also a hub of scum and villainy, and you have all the sorts of major syndicates trying to vie for a stake of Toshara.”

To ensure Toshara is as immersive and authentic as possible, Massive approached the moon from all angles. “We had to work out the demographics of the planet,” Khavari explains. “We had to work out what the major hubs are. We had to work out fauna, flora, all of these sections that needed to come together and also be weaved by narratives.”

Star Wars is home to some of the most iconic weapons, with the lightsaber wielded by the Jedi and the Sith being the most famed and recognizable. But with Star Wars Outlaws set to let us live out our own scoundrel fantasy, Kay Vess will be taking matters into her own hands with something that befits her character perfectly: the blaster gun. After all, as lead gameplay designer Fredrik Thylander asks at developer Massive's studio in Malmo, Sweden: "what would a scoundrel be without a sidearm?".

With the Han Solo archetype inspiring the direction of Outlaws, the blaster gun feels like the obvious choice. I'm reminded of Solo's quote, "hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a blaster at your side", which makes the weapon even more fitting for Kay who doesn't use the Force, or have anything to do with the Jedi. In order to make the blaster unique to Kay, the team worked with LucasFilm to ensure the weapon is an integral tool that you can't, and more crucially, don't want to be without. 

"We came to a dilemma," Thylander says, "because really, you want an iconic sidearm that she always has, but you also want really varied gunplay. So how do you do that? Well, Kay's blaster's a unique blaster, the VM 19 that we developed with Lucasfilm, and it has modules that she can swap [out] sort of like a six shooter with quick reload during combat. She can find new modules that allow her to shoot new types of projectiles, and she can also upgrade or modify them to behave differently." 

"Maybe you want your blaster to be rapid fire instead of single fire," Thylander suggests. "Maybe you want it to behave a little bit like a hand cannon, if that's your playstyle. All of this is available, and you can even upgrade it to gain new gameplay effects such as perfect reload that gives you a bonus after the reload minigame [where you have] to hit the exact right spot. This really lets you choose how you want to play." 

Final hands-on previews.

WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

Hands-on | Star Wars Outlaws is the least Ubisoft-feeling Ubisoft game I've played in ages

When I brought up how much my hands-on time with Outlaws' open world reminded me of Red Dead Redemption - appropriate, given how much Westerns inspired pieces of Star Wars in the first place - Gerighty surprised me by referencing another beloved open-world game. "It's super interesting because my biggest reference was Ghost of Tsushima, which is more on the Kurosawa side of inspiration than the Western, the John Ford side of the inspiration for George Lucas," he explains.

"Red Dead Redemption is phenomenal, [because it treats] the world as a world - not as a checklist of activities that are repeated often. But I think that Ghost of Tsushima, what I loved about it was this purity of having a player fantasy and really leaning into it. This is the story, the world, the character, everything fits together with the gameplay guiding everything. That's the fantasy of 'you are a samurai ninja in Japan.' That was one of the guiding lights for this."

By the end of my four hours with Star Wars Outlaws, all I wanted to do was play more. I've found myself growing increasingly burnt out on open world games over the years, but this open world feels like one of the most complete and coherent I've seen in ages. I'll need a lot more time with Outlaws to know how it measures up against incredible games like Red Dead Redemption and Ghost of Tsushima, but the fact that it's reminding me so strongly of them is a good thing indeed. 

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Ian Higton talks about his first impressions of Star Wars: Outlaws gameplay after a 4 hour hands-on at a preview event.

I think part of why Avatar's players burnt out so quickly (sorry again), was that it was basically just Far Cry but made worse with the addition of a bunch of Avatar gubbins. In the case of Star Wars Outlaws however, Ubisoft hasn't just picked one singular game to rework. Here, its plucked all the best bits from across its biggest franchises and created this melting pot of familiar gameplay elements. These elements are instantly recognisable when you see them one-by-one, sure, but they all come together as a whole to create a proper Star Wars-y feeling adventure.

When our dashing Deputy Editor, Chris Tapsell went hands-on with Star Wars Outlaws in June, he came away underwhelmed by the dated gameplay he'd experienced during the trio of linear missions he'd been given to play. As if countering that preview with a big, 'well check this out then', Ubisoft invited me along to a four-hour preview session that featured a big chunk of open-world action instead, where player were let off the leash to explore as they saw fit.

WWW.VG247.COM

What if they did a Star Wars game that was like GTA, and there were a bunch of different planets, and you had a cool dog?

I’m almost certain that I pitched Star Wars Outlaws to my mate Manky Kev when we were about 14. “All the Star Wars games are about Jedis or fighter pilots, the most boring bastards in the whole saga”, I definitely said, with the eloquence of a me three times my age. “You want a game where you get to be a baddie, but a good baddie, not a Sith, and it’s open world like GTA. And you’re Han Solo but before he started hanging around with Jedis and fighter pilots.”

I remember this really vividly. Manky Kev threatened to kick my head in if I came out with any more Star Wars patter and the idea was lost to time. Except, apparently, someone at Ubisoft pinched it from me and every other 90s teenager who liked Star Wars and GTA and wanted them smooshed together.

And yeah, after decades of shifting player tastes, genre convergence, and the general rise of Ubisoft’s Open World Formula™, comparing this decidedly Watch_Dogsy take on Disney’s 24th Acquisition to GTA might come off as a bit Boss Baby. You can’t even steal other people’s speeders. I checked, there isn’t even a prompt. Ubisoft are very serious about making you engage with the speed bike upgrade system, to the point where a techy-minded career criminal like Kay Vess would canonically rather pay legitimately for a better vehicle than just, y’know, pinch one.

Star Wars Outlaws didn't put its best foot forward when I played it at Summer Game Fest. That demo covered most of what you do in Ubisoft's next open-world game: sneak, hack, shoot, and fly. It was fine, but it was overfamiliar, and I couldn't shake the feeling that I was experiencing Outlaws in the exact opposite way it was intended. I wanted so badly to hop on Kay's speeder and explore the open world a bit, but we were rushed through three linear missions on strict 20-minute timers.

Ubisoft flipped that SGF demo on its head at a dedicated Star Wars Outlaws preview event held earlier this month in Orange County. No on-screen timers, no segmented missions—I played nearly five hours of Outlaws, and a good chunk of that time was spent chatting up NPCs, taking on side jobs from factions that all hate each other, and full-sending Kay's speeder off the biggest rock ramps I could find on Toshara, a planet of deep canyons and desert brush where the opening hours take place.

My complaints about unchallenging shootouts, stiff climbing, and dumb Stormtrooper AI haven't changed, but I learned that Outlaws shares a notable quality with other Ubisoft open world games: no one aspect is exceptional, but when it all comes together, I'm having a really good time.

WWW.IGN.COM

We spent four hours in Star Wars Outlaws, first-ever open-world Star Wars game, and came away quite impressed at how organic all of its activities, characters, and world felt.

It seems impossible that Star Wars Outlaws is the first-ever open-world Star Wars game, but indeed it’s true. With that first comes plenty of expectation, but also lots of excitement – particularly when the studio handling the effort is Massive Entertainment, the talented developers of The Division. Speaking personally, I confess that I don’t often get hyped up for too many open-world games these days outside of those made by Rockstar – as those can be counted on to raise the bar every single time – but I have been plenty hyped for Outlaws. After all, it’s set after Empire Strikes Back, you play as a Han Solo-caliber scoundrel instead of yet another Jedi, and you’ve got an awesome alien creature pet named Nix by your side at all times, who promises to have an impact on gameplay and not just follow our hero Kay Vess around being adorable. In other words, it’s got a lot going for it on paper.

And while it doesn’t seem like Outlaws will do any Rockstar-like bar-raising, after playing a near-final build of it for four hours across two different sections of gameplay, I can say it’s still one of my most anticipated games yet to come out in a busy second half of 2024, and it feels very Star Wars in all the right ways.

WWW.GAMESPOT.COM

After four hours with Ubisoft's open-world Star Wars game, we have a better sense of what kind of game Outlaws is trying to be.

My major struggle was that it could often be tough to understand exactly what you're able to do. You know how people make fun of developers for covering everything in yellow paint to show you what can be climbed, blasted, or collected? Star Wars Outlaws is a pretty good example of why they do that, because I often felt unsure of what I could interact with in a given area. I appreciated that the game left me to figure out what I needed to do instead of just slapping a waypoint on it, but everything in Star Wars is covered in lights and buttons, making it tough to tell what's a control panel for Nix to flip or a generator you can shoot, and what's just a cool-looking background texture. It sometimes left me floundering to figure out what to do next.

Combat, too, felt a little loose, at least in this slice, mostly because I wasn't particularly sure how I was supposed to deal with a situation going badly without taking a ton of damage. Outlaws doesn't seem to handle those emergency moments especially well--but when you can execute a smart, sneaky plan using all your tools, especially Nix, the gameplay is exciting and rewarding.

This was just a short look at an enormous game, however, so the question to be answered is how well Outlaws brings these things together for the player as it teaches you how to play with tutorial elements and a better explanation of what's going on. Things like character and weapon upgrades and new skills that you have to hunt down and learn also seem likely to change the balance, making elements like combat feel like a more viable part of the game, and making sneaking and navigation a little more intuitive. More than anything, though, Star Wars Outlaws felt huge to me, and there's fun and a lot of potential in getting lost in a sprawling Star Wars underworld.

WWW.PUSHSQUARE.COM

PS5 heavyweight comes together nicely - As part of last month's Summer Game Fest season, Ubisoft allowed press to play Star Wars Outlaws for the first time i...

Having played just four hours of a game that's likely to offer enough content to cover at least ten times that playtime, it's not the time for any definitive statements just yet. Star Wars Outlaws will need to prove it has the chops across a full campaign next month, but as a microcosm of what the full experience might offer, we have come away bursting with renewed hope. Exploration is what the latest Massive Entertainment outing does best, and with many more open world planets to visit in the full game, it's that sense of discovery that's primed to elevate the experience to something special.

WWW.THESIXTHAXIS.COM

A roguelike - from a certain point of view.

Star Wars Outlaws pulls together a host of different inspirations when it comes to gameplay, with aspects of Ubisoft’s own Assassin’s Creed series nuzzling up to some Uncharted-style exploration and gunplay. These don’t feel disparate elements though, and I’m totally sold on Kay Vess as a central character, her array of rogueish skills, and the way the Star Wars universe is being brought to our screens by the teams at Massive and across Ubisoft. If you’re a Star Wars fan, Outlaws feels like the perfect video game representation of the seedier world we’ve found in Andor and The Mandalorian, and it continues to sow the idea that maybe, just maybe, we don’t need lightsabers to have a fun time.

WWW.THEGAMER.COM

I wasn’t sold on Star Wars Outlaws going in, but four hours with its expansive world has made me a believer.

When Star Wars Outlaws was first revealed, something strange happened - I didn’t get excited. The galaxy far, far away has been near and dear to my heart since watching The Phantom Menace on VHS as a youngling (rough start, I know), so a non-Lego open-world Star Wars game where you get to freely explore planets and carve out your destiny should have been a dream come true.

And yet, it wasn’t. Not because I’m an internet chud who’s mad they have to play as a woman who is apparently not pretty enough, but because I’m just all Star Wars-ed out. Respawn’s Jedi games have given me more than enough time in George Lucas’ universe over the past few years, and the thought of jumping back into an even bigger game following Ubisoft’s formula sounded like more Star Wars than I could handle.

Going into my hands-on preview of Outlaws, my expectations weren’t very high. I half expected to leave feeling just as fatigued with Star Wars as I was coming in. To my surprise though, four hours with it was enough to get me hooked on its surprisingly expansive and faithful interpretation of the galaxy I fell in love with all those years ago.

WWW.CONSOLECREATURES.COM

We went hands-on with Star Wars Outlaws once again and it left an even more positive impression than last time.

For all the things I like about Star Wars Outlaws, there are elements I found to be less than savoury. Steve and I discussed it at length on Creature Cast this week, but the one major caveat I didn’t like was the instant fail stealth sections I experienced in more than one section of my demo. It feels very archaic to be sent back to the beginning of a section because the enemy saw me, and I couldn’t use my available toolset to make the best out of a bad situation. In some sections, which feel right out of Hitman, it is a shame that Ubisoft goes back to old tricks rather than trusting the player to make it out alive.

The rhythm-based lock mechanics is the other issue that I feel actively ruins the experience. In some instances, I can solve them almost immediately, while in others, I can spend ten minutes out with no way to nail the timing down. I also hope Ubisoft allows players the choice to skip these minigames because they aren’t fun.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Star Wars Outlaws (PC/Xbox Series/PS5 | 30 August 2024) - update (07/30): final hands-on previews posted
1 hour ago, Best said:

Boy, those previews have me hyped now!

Comparing it to RDR is what I like to hear. :D

As long as they don't take the extreme jank and abysmal controls of RDR, there's a bunch of good things to draw from it. For any faults you can level at Ubi, I don't think they'll be guilty of that in the same way Rockstar is.

The comparison to Ghost of Tsushima is more interesting to me though. Ghost excelled at creating a vibe from just being in the world. If they can capture that in the Star Wars universe, it's a huge win.

• True 1

THENERDSTASH.COM

We got four hours of hands-on time with Star Wars Outlaws. It stars Kay Vess, a scoundrel in search of the next big score.

This is the part of Star Wars Outlaws that is hard to sell in a trailer, or even small bits of hands-on time, as it requires you to get comfortable and immersed with the world, its characters, and rules. Again, nothing here is revolutionary or groundbreaking, but what’s here is very well put together, quite pretty, and technically polished, even in this preview stage. Kijimi was a standout, as the Snowdrop engine and developer Massive Entertainment clearly channeled their best Division snow-covered NYC streets love, and it’s represented in this icy city and is gorgeous to walk around in.

We look forward to spending a lot more time with Kay Vess and her crew of misfits, and it’s only a few short weeks away until we all get that opportunity. Until then, keep your blaster warm. Outlaw season is nearly upon us.

47 minutes ago, legend said:

As long as they don't take the extreme jank and abysmal controls of RDR, there's a bunch of good things to draw from it. For any faults you can level at Ubi, I don't think they'll be guilty of that in the same way Rockstar is.

The comparison to Ghost of Tsushima is more interesting to me though. Ghost excelled at creating a vibe from just being in the world. If they can capture that in the Star Wars universe, it's a huge win.

They were talking about the world building with comparisons to RDR. 
What I read compared the gameplay/controls to typical Ubi open world. 

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

I hope that IGN FIRST 🙄🙄🙄 gameplay trailer was an early build and it's been polished and improved. I'd love to have a proper open world Stat Wars that's actually good. And I don't even want light sabers but I'm sure they'll be in there or be DLC at some point

• Hype 1

1 hour ago, eventide11 said:

I hope that IGN FIRST 🙄🙄🙄 gameplay trailer was an early build and it's been polished and improved. I'd love to have a proper open world Stat Wars that's actually good. And I don't even want light sabers but I'm sure they'll be in there or be DLC at some point

Just wait for the previews and reviews like me. 

I'm pretty confident it will be pretty damn good. The latest previews are a great sign. 

• stepee 1

PC system requirements released:

Minimum Requirements

Operating System – Windows 10, Windows 11 (64-bit versions), DirectX 12
CPU – AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6 GHz, Intel Core i7-8700K @ 3.70 GHz, or better
Graphics – NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 (6 GB), AMD RX 5600XT (6 GB), Intel Arc A750 (8 GB, with ReBAR on) or better
RAM Memory – 16 GB (dual-channel mode)
Storage – 65 GB SSD
Details – 1080P, 30 FPS, LOW graphics preset with upscaler set to Quality

Recommended Requirements

CPU – AMD Ryzen 5 5600X @ 3.7 GHz, Intel Core i5-10400 @ 2.9 GHz, or better
Graphics – NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti (8 GB), AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT (12 GB) or better
Storage – 65 GB SSD
Details – 1080P, 60 FPS, HIGH graphics preset with upscaler set to Quality

High Requirements

CPU – AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 GHz or Intel Core i5-11600K @ 3.9 GHz
Graphics – NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 (10 GB)/NVidia GeForce RTX 4070 (12GB), AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT (16 GB) or better
Storage – 65 GB SSD
Details – 1440P, 60 FPS, HIGH graphics preset with upscaler set to Quality

Ultra Requirements

CPU – AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D @ 3.4 GHz or Intel Core i7-12700K @ 3.8 GHz
Graphics – NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 (16 GB), AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX (24 GB) or better
Storage – 65 GB SSD
Details – 2160p, 60 FPS, ULTRA graphics preset with upscaler set to Quality

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Star Wars Outlaws (PC/Xbox Series/PS5 | 30 August 2024) - update (07/31): PC system requirements released
22 hours ago, Best said:

Just wait for the previews and reviews like me. 

I'm pretty confident it will be pretty damn good. The latest previews are a great sign. 

I hope so. I've kinda lost confidence in Ubi lately but maybe they'll return to form with this

23 minutes ago, Best said:

I think they have.

Hide contents

:s

I'm expecting a high 70s/low 80s open critic (somewhere between AC:Mirage/Avatar and AC:Valhalla/The Division 2).

With a bunch of lower reviews from people who haven't like Ubisoft open world games, and higher reviews from people who do.

I'm guessing that the focus on managing reputation between the different factions and forced stealth will not go over with some of the reviewers.

4 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I'm expecting a high 70s/low 80s open critic (somewhere between AC:Mirage/Avatar and AC:Valhalla/The Division 2).

With a bunch of lower reviews from people who haven't like Ubisoft open world games, and higher reviews from people who do.

I'm guessing that the focus on managing reputation between the different factions and forced stealth will not go over with some of the reviewers.

Good point. Ubi is really talented in world building but sometimes stumble in other important areas. Having just played Valhalla I'm extremely impressed in the world they create. So let's hope they hit a homerun here. 

WWW.VIDEOGAMESCHRONICLE.COM

VGC played more of Massive’s Star Wars debut and spoke to the development team…

By the end of our time with Star Wards Outlaws, we knew exactly what the next 40 hours of our time with the game looked like, but that doesn’t mean we didn’t want to play it. It’s fairly formulaic, but it’s nailing the formula that it’s following. There’s been plenty of room for a third-person Uncharted-ish Star Wars game in the market, and Outlaws is a great attempt.

Kay and Nix remain stars of the show, not just due to Humberly’s excellent performance, but Nix’s genuine function in both quiet and violent gameplay. Using Nix never feels clunky, and he’s an utterly adorable new entry in the canon of things that will make Disney millions in toy sales.

While the space flight didn’t wow and the faction system feels like it’s a bit too safe, as soon as we’d finished our session, we wanted to continue that save file to see more of the world, speak to more strange patrons of dingey pubs, and live in the grimy world of the Imperial age.

WWW.GAMESHUB.COM

We chatted to Star Wars Outlaws narrative director Navid Khavari and ND-5 actor Jay Rincon about inspiration, connection and their favourite freaks.

There’s something that feels inherently Star Wars about a cantina. Whether the clientele includes beeping droids and an array of raggedy aliens or not, the energy of that particular kind of meeting space has an intergalactic edge that tips the scales from a humdrum beverage stand to something a little more, well, exciting.

And so, it felt innately right that when I got the chance to chat with Star Wars Outlaws narrative director Navid Khavari, and ND-5 voice actor Jay Rincon, it was just outside the doors of a bustling, makeshift cantina – replete with seemingly space-rusted paraphernalia and alien iconography.

The interview was late afternoon during a recent international media event, after a few hours of gameplay and cantina beverages took the edge off the California heat. Just beyond a spacecraft-like bridge and a weather-worn speeder, we chatted about all things inspiration, character relationships, and freaks.

WWW.GAMESHUB.COM

Social media's thirsty response to ND-5 came as a surprise to the Star Wars Outlaws team.

Every so often, a character comes along that stokes the flames of the internet’s affection. More often than not, these characters aren’t exactly what you’d expect, but nonetheless they become figureheads for thirst and fan edits – sometimes long before a game or film even releases.

This was certainly the case for the character ND-5, from Star Wars Outlaws. A sardonic and world-weary droid in a duster, ND-5’s attitude and aesthetic immediately captured attention. After all, he’s rough around the edges, has the shoulders for a coat and he’s canonically 6’2. This combination saw him quickly take centre stage when the game’s announcement went live – for good reason – but this attention wasn’t expected.

When GamesHub had the opportunity to chat with some of the Star Wars Outlaws team over a press trip in California recently, it was our moral obligation to ask – did they anticipate the “hot droid” phenomenon?

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Star Wars Outlaws (PC/Xbox Series/PS5 | 30 August 2024) - update (08/05): post-launch roadmap revealed