The Callisto Protocol - Information Thread, update: Glen Schofield (CEO), CFO, and COO all "voluntarily" depart from Striking Distance Studios

Commissar SFLUFAN

13 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The game appears to have underperformed its absolutely ludicrous unit sales projections by about 3 million units and had an estimated budget of $162 million.

p1065576590004538_906_thum.jpg
M.K-ODYSSEY.COM

SEOUL, Jan. 13 (Yonhap) - Krafton[259960]′s new "Callisto Protocol," which was released last month ata cost of about 200 billion won over three years, is...

Did they hire Visceral's sales/projection/marketing team?

EA believed Dead Space 3 could comfortably outsell its predecessors, with company CEO John Riccitiello saying he could see the game selling 5 million units. EA announced Dead Space 3 pre-orders were "outpacing" those for Dead Space 2 in January's earnings call, although the publisher didn't disclose by what margin.

isaac3.jpg
WWW.GOOGLE.COM

EA is effectively bringing an end to the Dead Space series after canning Dead Space 4 in pre-production, VideoGamer reports.

😅

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
The-Callisto-Protocol.jpeg
WWW.GAMESINDUSTRY.BIZ

Sign up for the GI Daily here to get the biggest news straight to your inbox Krafton announced its fourth quarter and f…

He noted that in addition to the PUBG studio, the company currently has nine studios working on their own titles around the world. And while they had been left to their own devices to this point, Kim suggested the parent company would take a more hands-on role going forward.

"Our philosophy had been to give creative studios their own autonomy in production until now, but to live up to customer expectations, we decided to strengthen Krafton HQ's production management role," he said.

"This does not alter our belief that new creative can only be borne from the aspiration of creators. It's just that HQ will take on the role of managing expectations as those of the creators and the customers may differ."

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/4/2023 at 1:19 PM, stepee said:

I think you’ll enjoy it in the same way I did when eventually it hits a good price though, because you seem to enjoy crunchy melee combat which this honestly is great at.

Bestbuy has this on sale for 49.99 bucks... worth it or wait for an even bigger price drop? Mind you I have a couple of gift cards and it's on disc.

11 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Bestbuy has this on sale for 49.99 bucks... worth it or wait for an even bigger price drop? Mind you I have a couple of gift cards and it's on disc.

I feel it’s a bit high…it’s definitely a 7/10 game but the combat happens to be very good. But you’re going to spend a lot of the time crawling through walls and vents, like if you think something like GOWR has a lot of that sorta thing it’s got nothing on this.

If you want something with some crunchy combat right now and have gift cards so it’s whatever go for it otherwise I’d be looking for $30 - no idea why it’s not getting deeper discounts, seems like it needs them!

56 minutes ago, stepee said:

I feel it’s a bit high…it’s definitely a 7/10 game but the combat happens to be very good. But you’re going to spend a lot of the time crawling through walls and vents, like if you think something like GOWR has a lot of that sorta thing it’s got nothing on this.

If you want something with some crunchy combat right now and have gift cards so it’s whatever go for it otherwise I’d be looking for $30 - no idea why it’s not getting deeper discounts, seems like it needs them!

Damn.. I pulled the trigger before coming back to this topic :p oh well, with the rewards cards I have I ended up spending about 19 bucks on it so. I'll check it out once I get it. So many games... still waiting for Evil West to drop in price too. That game is being real stubborn right now.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Damn.. I pulled the trigger before coming back to this topic :p oh well, with the rewards cards I have I ended up spending about 19 bucks on it so. I'll check it out once I get it. So many games... still waiting for Evil West to drop in price too. That game is being real stubborn right now.

Now Evil West is a game I can give a higher recommendation for, that was just a fun game with the biggest flaw being they probably shouldn’t charge full price for a 10hr action game.

• Halal 1

• 3 months later...
HxsSexQj2k5RAwyoQKwbcN-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Final Transmission is the final chapter of Krafton’s Dead Space-like survival horror game.

The Callisto Protocol's concluding chapter story DLC is finally almost here. Entitled Final Transmission, the "heart-pounding final chapter" of Striking Distance Studios' Dead Space-like horror game promises to "dig deeper into the horrifying secrets of The Callisto Protocol."

That's not much to go on as far as what players can expect from the DLC, but at this point it's all we've got. For now, The Callisto Protocol's Steam page still describes it simply as "story protocol,"and Striking Distance hasn't said anything more about it on social media—although the teaser rather strongly suggests that whatever it's about, it won't be good.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Callisto Protocol (PlayStation/Xbox/PC) - Information Thread, update: "Final Transmission" story conclusion DLC to release for PlayStation on June 27 and PC/Xbox on June 29
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
CallistoProtocol-scaled.jpg
INSIDER-GAMING.COM

More layoffs have hit the gaming industry as The Callisto Protocol developer Striking Distance Studios have laid off multiple employees

Some more bad news for the gaming industry as Striking Distance Studios, the developer behind The Callisto Protocol, had layoffs on Tuesday.

The news was broken via various LinkedIn posts.

“I’m so sorry to see the layoffs at Striking Distance Studios,” Patrick Bostwick of Pixelated Talent and formerly of Striking Distance Studios said. “It took many years to assemble such amazing talents. Without a doubt, this group of people are some of the most talented in the industry.”

“I was impacted by the layoffs at Striking Distance Studios today and am looking for a new opportunity as a Senior Environment Artist/ World Builder,” senior environment artist Matthew Smith posted.

As far as the scale of the layoffs are concerned, that information isn’t currently known. The studio also has yet to publicly comment on the layoffs.

The Callisto Protocol was released back in December 2022. The game was met with mixed reviews from both critics and players. Though it did sell over 2 million copies, it didn’t reach its initial sales target of 5 million against a $162 million development budget.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Callisto Protocol (PlayStation/Xbox/PC) - Information Thread, update: Striking Distance Studios "rightsizes" multiple personnel
  • 1 month later...

Bloomberg: ‘Dead Space’ Co-Creator Departs Startup After Newest Game Flops

Video-game developer Striking Distance Studios, a subsidiary of Korean publisher Krafton Inc., is appointing new management several months after the commercial flop of its first game.

Chief Executive Officer Glen Schofield is leaving, a Krafton representative confirmed Wednesday, saying he has “decided to pursue new opportunities.” Striking Distance’s chief operating officer and chief financial officer are also leaving. Krafton said all three departures were voluntary.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Callisto Protocol (PlayStation/Xbox/PC) - Information Thread, update: Glen Schofield (CEO), CFO, and COO all "voluntarily" depart from Striking Distance Studios
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Callisto Protocol - Information Thread, update: Glen Schofield (CEO), CFO, and COO all "voluntarily" depart from Striking Distance Studios
18 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

If anyone thinks that the CEO, COO, and CFO all "voluntarily" departed, then I've got a few bridges I'd like to sell ya!

There's zero doubt in my mind that Krafton "asked" all of them to resign.

And well deserved I might add! The game is an even bigger failure at being the type of game they were trying to make and market (a Dead Space spiritual successor) than it is at being the game it actually is. I’d be pissed i’d I thought I was paying for someone to make Dead Space and got fucking The Bouncer!

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

He was getting paid to make pubg and got the bouncer

lol I forgot about that, even worse! So he gets brought in to make a game based on an established universe but deviates so far away from that they can no longer tie it into the franchise then they decide to make it like his previous hit game, so that sounds fine still, but he doesn’t even deliver the right genre. 

The combat in the game is actually VERY good, if not what people wanted to be the core of a DS successor, but its execution on everything else is so off the mark.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

No female protagonist, gamers are tired of playing as bald space marine dudes in every game. :p

what’s funny is I was just thinking “hey, maybe phasenox would like this game” when my character in Remnant 2 said something and I remembered I was a woman character.