What Are You Reading or Listening To?

Been pretty bad about making updates lately. You Like It Darker was great. Really loved Danny Coughlin, Rattlesnakes, and Answer Man in that one. 

I also finished Bright Young Women by Jessica Knoll last night. Fiction about the Ted Bundy victims, but his name is never mentioned and it’s focused on the women. Good piece of writing. 

Now I’m currently reading The Wager by David Grann(nonfiction) and Nothing but the Bones by Brian Panowich(fiction). 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2024 at 9:35 PM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Been pretty bad about making updates lately. You Like It Darker was great. Really loved Danny Coughlin, Rattlesnakes, and Answer Man in that one. 

I also finished Bright Young Women by Jessica Knoll last night. Fiction about the Ted Bundy victims, but his name is never mentioned and it’s focused on the women. Good piece of writing. 

Now I’m currently reading The Wager by David Grann(nonfiction) and Nothing but the Bones by Brian Panowich(fiction). 

there really were some really good stories in You Like It Darker

19 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Man, my reading has slowed down a lot the last few months. Still at 46 books, though.

Finished everything I was on and started two new books last night/today. The Franchise: A Curated History of the Braves by Mark Bowman @Biggie and The Last Russian Doll by Kristen Loesch.

If I read books I probably would enjoy it but I don’t lol 

2 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I just finished it. Short, but a nice concise history. Learned some stuff I didn’t know. Like Tom Glavine was also drafted in the NHL. 

Yupp. He was a pretty good hockey player!

• stepee 1

Currently reading Challenger by Adam Higginbotham for nonfiction. I loved Midnight in Chernobyl, one of my all time favorite NF books.

For fiction, I started Camino Ghosts by John Grisham on my Kindle and I'm gonna start Incidents Around the House by Josh Malerman because I've heard a lot of good things.

7 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Finished Incidents Around the House quickly. Ending was bleak, but it really had the creep factor going on.

agreed the ending was bleak but it was one I couldn't put down. 

I'm now reading TJ Newman's upcoming Worst Case Scenario and damn if it isn't intense. It's about a plane crashing into a nuclear power plant. I really like her writing, she has a way of sucking you into the action. Can't wait to see how the movie version of her book Drowning turns out. 

22 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

agreed the ending was bleak but it was one I couldn't put down. 

I'm now reading TJ Newman's upcoming Worst Case Scenario and damn if it isn't intense. It's about a plane crashing into a nuclear power plant. I really like her writing, she has a way of sucking you into the action. Can't wait to see how the movie version of her book Drowning turns out. 

Oh nice, I’m getting that one when it releases. I’ve read both her other books and they were pretty good. 

I picked up the audio book of this

https://www.amazon.com/Nuclear-War-Scenario-Annie-Jacobsen/dp/0593476093

to listen to on the drive back home from New Mexico. Absolutely terrifying stuff.

The author did a ton of interviews of former government officials and research of declassified documents to construct a scenario in which North Korea launches a preemptive nuclear strike against the US.

She writes it as a moment by moment breakdown of how the 2ish hours of time between the launch of the initial ICBM and total catastrophe would go. Super intense. Feels like somebody is going to option this for a movie a limited series.

I definitely thought some of the military wonks like @Commissar SFLUFAN @CayceG and @Jwheel86 would enjoy it. I mean, as much as one can enjoy such subject matter, lol

28 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Feels like somebody is going to option this for a movie a limited series.

:p

DEADLINE.COM

Legendary Entertainment has optioned Annie Jacobsen's Nuclear War: A Scenario as a potential reteam with Dune: Part Two director Denis Villeneuve.

I'm very much aware of this book and the all-too-plausible scenario it presents for the end of all life on this planet as we know it.

• Hype 1

50 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

:p

DEADLINE.COM

Legendary Entertainment has optioned Annie Jacobsen's Nuclear War: A Scenario as a potential reteam with Dune: Part Two director Denis Villeneuve.

I'm very much aware of this book and the all-too-plausible scenario it presents for the end of all life on this planet as we know it.

OH MAN, he would crush this!

I finished the second Eragon book so started on the fourth ‘Thursday Murder Club’ book, which is perfect for summer. I went on a bit of a spree, so I’ve got another six books to read over the coming weeks! 

20 hours ago, sblfilms said:

to listen to on the drive back home from New Mexico. Absolutely terrifying stuff.

The author did a ton of interviews of former government officials and research of declassified documents to construct a scenario in which North Korea launches a preemptive nuclear strike against the US.

She writes it as a moment by moment breakdown of how the 2ish hours of time between the launch of the initial ICBM and total catastrophe would go. Super intense. Feels like somebody is going to option this for a movie a limited series.

I definitely thought some of the military wonks like @Commissar SFLUFAN @CayceG and @Jwheel86 would enjoy it. I mean, as much as one can enjoy such subject matter, lol

I've seen that book talked about and it's been on my list. Glad to know that it's a compelling and engaging read!

• Halal 1

On 7/29/2024 at 12:48 PM, gamer.tv said:

I finished the second Eragon book so started on the fourth ‘Thursday Murder Club’ book, which is perfect for summer. I went on a bit of a spree, so I’ve got another six books to read over the coming weeks! 

Finished that pretty quickly…so onto the next one! Either Surfacing by Margaret Atwood or some teaching books that should be delivered tomorrow.

On 7/28/2024 at 9:56 PM, sblfilms said:

You made me go get this,  thanks.

• stepee 1

Currently midway through Riley Sager’s new one, Middle of the Night. Wanting to finish it before Thursday so I can give it to my friend when I go see her. 

Also took my kindle to my tattoo session yesterday and now I’m close to done with Camino Ghosts by John Grisham. 

I recently started "Gulag" by Anne Applebaum; I guess she won the Pulitzer for this book. I'm sure it's going to be grim but I'm always interested in history and know relatively little about the Gulag system. 

• stepee 1

On 8/4/2024 at 10:43 PM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Currently midway through Riley Sager’s new one, Middle of the Night. Wanting to finish it before Thursday so I can give it to my friend when I go see her. 

Also took my kindle to my tattoo session yesterday and now I’m close to done with Camino Ghosts by John Grisham. 

Let me know how Middle of the NIght is 

1 hour ago, EternallDarkness said:

Let me know how Middle of the NIght is 

I finished it a couple nights ago. I actually enjoyed this more than his last few books. 3.5

Low census at work, I only had 3 patients and it was super boring last night, so I started and finished A Talent for Murder by Peter Swanson in a day. 

Trying to decide on what I want to read next. Gonna go down and check out my shelves here in a bit. 

• Halal 1

On 8/27/2024 at 4:26 PM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Worst Case Scenario is my favorite of her books so far. That was intense. So needs to be made into a movie.

It was a heck of a story. Drowning is being made into a movie and I am sure if it does well someone will option WCS as well. 

• stepee 1

I've been on an ancient history kick so far this year and these are the books that I've read/listened to in historical chronological order:

Assyria

Persians

Ghost on the Throne by James Romm

Pax

9781541619968.jpg?resize=660,1024

All of these were fantastic reads/listens and you can't go wrong with any of 'em.  I will say that Ghost on the Throne can get a bit confusing because of the incredibly vast cast of characters involved in the political machinations and conflicts that characterized the post-Alexander Macedonian Empire, but it's the most "entertaining" of all the titles I listed.  Up next, I'm switching to a bit of medieval history with what is so far proving to be a very witty if not outright quite funny overview of early English royalty written by British comedian David Mitchell.

Unruly by David Mitchell

• Halal 1

I'm getting through some book here in my final nights of work. Been so slow, no admissions since we're about to close. I'm currently halfway through Boys in the Valley by Philip Fracassi. Should have gotten to this a while ago because it's so good. Terrifying. This has potential to be one of my favorite horror novels.