Deadpool & Wolverine (July 26, 2024) Discussion Thread - update (07/19): "Final" trailer (major spoiler so be advised)

Just saw it. I’m sleepy so longer thoughts later, but… it’s generally fun, sometimes it’s funny, sometimes it’s touching, and its heart is all the way on its sleeve. But it’s too long, it’s too indulgent but not necessarily in the ways that you’d want, and the weight of the titular team up bogs down the whole affair. If you’ve not had too much of Van Wilder’s Deadpool after two flicks, this one almost certainly won’t disappoint. 

• Thanks 1

Okay, awake and caffeinated. Spoiler free stuff to start as usual.

It’s kinda difficult to look at this movie from a non-meta point of view. Deadpool and Wolverine (the characters) have some juice in the comics of course, but a non trivial amount of the reason this movie exists is because of stuff like MCU integration, the Reynolds / Jackman IRL interactions, longstanding fan requests and movie rumors, etc. Ignoring the Wolverine of it all for a second… Deadpool & Wolverine (the movie) largely delivers in this respect. If you’ve managed to stay spoiler free there are some fun surprises here, especially for anyone who’s liked comic movies for a while. 

But the movie also struggles to balance that with a broad story and even individual scenes in a way that feel authentic or, frankly, make much sense. Yes it’s very meta and very Deadpool to break the fourth wall and lampshade those things, but that doesn’t make the final product come together to form a whole as satisfying as it could.

It’s not surprising that a movie called Deadpool & Wolverine focuses mainly on those two characters of course, but it’s SO FOCUSED on them and the cameos that everything else ends up getting short shrift. Some of the characters and relationships that drove everything from the first two movies are here but they’re sidelined in the interest of Wade and Logan doing things. And yes, we’re here for that, but the movie sets up Wade caring about his people and his universe in such a way that they repeatedly have to tell us because they’re not really around for Wade to be able to show us. For a movie that’s barely over two hours long, it feels longer. Logan and Wade have a couple fights that feel like they start for the same reasons, a few of the character revelations from Logan in particular feel like they get repeated. And frankly, if we’re going to get into multiverse shenanigans, I don’t know quite how to feel about the fact that what this movie’s Logan went through seems really similar to what we’ve seen from the character in other movies. I appreciate it’s a tightrope act to keep the character similar enough to not need a whole other thing for him while also not just using “our” Logan. But I think the only way it works is if you kind of don’t think about it. Which is fine, I guess.

Anyway, spoilers. Some of the indulgences I referenced last night I’ll cover below.

Cameo / meta stuff.

Spoiler

Aside from some Wolverine stuff (more on that in a second) this is probably the most fun part of the movie. Seeing Blade and X-23 was a lot of fun. Tatum as Gambit was a treat of course, though I do feel like for as little time as he ended up getting they couldn’t decide whether or not to play him kinda straight or let him be a complete goober. So we’ve got him going from talking about cum or whatever the fuck he said to deciding to take down Cassandra in the span of 2 minutes and it’s a bit weird.

I assume Chris Evans cameos get pops everywhere but he always goes over in Massachusetts theaters. Not sure if he has much of a Boston accent IRL but it seemed to come out in the post credits scene. I also dunno how spoiled this cameo was broadly, but absolutely nobody in the theater, including me, expected him to be Johnny Storm; easily the biggest reaction in the theater throughout the movie when he said Flame On.

Also it remains weird when movies make time for what they assume will be theater audience reactions to things that do not happen. It happened in Multiverse of Madness when I saw it and nobody gave a shit about Jim from The Office being Mister Fantastic and it happened here when X-23 came out. Who knows if people knew it was coming (I think she was in one of the trailers) or if it’s because they didn’t know who she was until people said something. I think those scenes in general don’t work well outside the theater experience and unless you’re absolutely sure you’re cooking (Cap showing up in Infinity War worked; maybe all cameos should just be Chris Evans); if you’re not you might as well not do one.

Fun to see Henry Cavill as Logan buuuuuuuut nobody got it until Deadpool said who it was. That was weird.

Also did you know that Hugh Jackman gets ripped for this role and that people think Ryan Reynolds is handsome? Did you know Deadpool is into ass play? This movie will remind you about those things pretty often. Did you know Rob Liefeld cannot draw feet? Have we made that joke before? Because it’s true and we’re gonna show you that again. Feige runs the show now, did you know that? 20th Century Fox is out of the picture, did you know? We’re gonna make fun of that A LOT and then try to be a little emotional about it during the credits. This movie makes every obvious joke and takes every obvious shot it can, and many of them are not being told for the first time. Some of them come up more than once just in this movie.

Wolverine stuff.

Spoiler

I kinda feel like this movie is the equivalent of the Superman vs. The Amazing Spider-Man comic from the late 70’s. We know these characters are going to end up being friends, we can accept that the reason for the whole affair is a bit contrived, we want to see them punch each other before deciding that they’re buddies. And it delivers on that promise, although like I alluded to, it feels a bit like they fight too many times for a movie that’s not all that long. Jackman is channeling similar pathos to what we’ve seen from him and Logan before, which is fine. But for a movie that literally exhumes Logan from Logan from jump, it’s a little disappointing that the Logan we end up with is suffering from more or less the same story except he’s got the yellow suit and that revelation feels like it’s made two or three times throughout the movie.

But there’s not a ton to say here; Jackman continues to be great at this role and when the movie decides to stop cameo’ing and fourth wall breaking long enough to try to let a moment land, the stuff between Logan and Wade is good. And them stabbing each other is fun. Hey, yellow costume is cool too, cowl and everything. The teamup just puts everything else on the back burner.

Short Logan was funny tho :p 

Plot and villain stuff.

Spoiler

I don’t think the movie really “works” as anything other than a team up. Cassandra goes from letting Deadpool and Logan go to wanting to destroy the multiverse in no time at all based on information it seems like she should have known before Pyro told her, does The Void even work if there are no timelines to use it as a toilet bowl, the notion that all the ‘Pools would show up and try to kill Wade and Logan because Cassandra seems weird, having Peter be some kind of guy that every other Deadpool listens to when our Wade barely does is… fine. Whatever, all of this sets up or ends some fine fights even if some of the fights themselves feel kinda repetitious. People critical of the Avengers movies, or Civil War more specifically, often say they’re just exercises in hundreds of millions of dollars worth of action figures being bashed into one another. That’s even more true here. None of this really bogs down the movie since that’s what it’s here to do.

And I don’t CARE about this at all but it’s funny that the movie bothers to reference and call out aloud a specific episode from season 1 of Loki… but post the season 2 finale, Loki apparently will not intervene when someone is destroying all of existence. I suspect this is a timing thing and again it doesn’t matter…. But if this movie is going to be meta about its jokes I’m going to be meta about my take. :p 

What I think DOES hamper the movie is that we get so little time with the people that Deadpool is ostensibly fighting for. Yes we’ve got a Wolverine to hang out with and cameos to show. But Deadpool and Vanessa break up for what seems like the same reason they did in the first movie. I think there’s a lot that could have been done here; Logan is ostensibly the anchor being for Wade’s universe, but Wade’s friends are HIS anchors and we just don’t get enough of them here.

Anyway that’s probably more writing that the movie deserves, but the coffee is flowing so whatever.

In terms of being an actual MOVIE I think this is pretty obviously the worst of the three Deadpool flicks; the pacing isn’t great despite the movie not being long, the plot is absolutely nonsensical. But I don’t know if it’s trying to be a traditional superhero movie or even a “traditional” Deadpool movie. This thing is the equivalent of a Bronze Age of comics team-up one-shot; we want to see the heroes on the cover hit one another while the villain we know they’ll eventually join forces to punch cackles in the background. We get that here. If you want to see Deadpool and Wolverine fight, if you want to see Reynolds and Jackman banter, and if you want to see cameos, and if you want meta jokes… you’re going to get a lot of all of that. It tries to be a love letter to a specific era of comic movies and I think it bungles that under the weight of its cameos and its titular team up.

If I remember my ratings for X-Men / MCU stuff I gave Deadpool a 4, Deadpool 2 a 3, and something like X-Men Apocalypse a 2. I’d say this is a 3/5 as well. It’s not as well constructed as Deadpool 2 but it’s probably more fun.

• Thanks 3

On 7/27/2024 at 12:32 PM, TwinIon said:

I saw it last night in a packed Dolby Cinema showing. 

I thought it was fine. It’s very much Deadpool with a giant budget and access to the MCU. So you get bigger action scenes, a ton of cameos, and a lot of needle drops. Some of it works and some of it doesn’t. I wouldn’t say it’s disappointing, but I didn’t love it. It’s a fun ride, but often it’s a bit much. Between the constant 4th wall breaks, the confusing multi-verse stuff, the cameos, the jokes, the action, it has so little time to find a groove. For all its wackiness and for everything this move throws at the wall, the actual chemistry between Deadpool and Wolverine is pretty one note. I also didn’t feel like they nailed any of the needle drops until the song played in the credits.

So there are as many misses as hits, but it’s easily worthwhile if you have any affection for the Fox/Marvel films and have enjoyed Deadpool in the past, but it’s not something I’ll be revisiting any time soon.

A small request for anyone that saw it. The sound cut out for a few minutes, so I’d appreciate someone giving me the gist of a conversation.

Hide contents

We couldn’t hear any of the conversation between Logan and X23 around the fire before they attack the Ant-man compound.

That specific thing you missed is one of the things that I think they fumble.

Spoiler

They have part of that convo between Logan and X-23, then they come back to it later and Logan “remembers” more of it. There’s no reason for this; there’s no chance that Wolverine won’t be there for a big fight in Deadpool & Wolverine and it “sets up” the “reveal” of Logan getting out of the minivan. It’s sloppy.

21 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Bro the same thing happened to me. I saw it yesterday and my showtime was 2:00. Didn't get to the opening credits for the movie until 2:30pm. I said to myself, "Damn, 30 minutes of commercials and trailers, huh?"

As far as the movie goes, the one word I can think of was FUN. It was a fun time at he movies, especially fun if you like the Xmen and their films of the last two decades. Emma Corrin does a lot with a little as Cassandra Nova and the special effect of her power was creepy as hell.

Reveal hidden contents

(or Fox' superhero films.

I ran to the movies yesterday because a friend of mine saw it Thursday night and was like "Go see it before the internet spoils a lot of it" and I'm glad I did. Some of parts of the movie were pleasant surprises that I had NO IDEA were coming. So my advice to anyone planning on seeing this, go see it fast or stay off the internet. 

@TwinIon

Reveal hidden contents

She was the one who basically convinced him to attack the compound with them. He wasn't going to go and thought it was a suicide mission. She told him that if it wasn't for "Him" that she would have never had a childhood and neither would a lot of other kids (the kids from Logan). When he told her that he wasn't her Logan and he was the wrong guy, she told him that her Logan was also the "wrong guy", until he wasn't. Those words inspire him to become dedicated to the mission in the final act and he hears them in the sound montage when Cassandra Nova is finger fucking his brain.

Hope that helps. What movie theater is losing their sound in 2024? sounds like they need to have a conversation with @sblfilms

@silentbob that was part of the joke. 

Hide contents

Deadpool literally questions who his dialect coach was and makes fun of his accent constantly... I feel like Tatum was clearly hamming up an impression of animated Gambit's accent. I laughed everytime he opened his mouth.

I was thinking of you when I saw this; as I said in my post above this it really reminds me of an old school, turn your brain off kinda team up. It’s definitely the most fun when I think about it from that POV.

And despite being a person who doesn’t care if things are spoiled for me personally, yeah agreed, if someone DOES care about spoilers and wants to see this movie… log off until you do. I’ve seen spoilers everywhere this morning and some of the stuff that’s spoiled are the most fun parts of the movie.

22 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I’ve seen spoilers everywhere this morning and some of the stuff that’s spoiled are the most fun parts of the movie.

My brother had something HUGE spoiled for him last night just going online on his phone :lol: That's EXACTLY the reason I ran to see this when I did. I figured by Sunday morning, spoilers would be everywhere. Told my sister she better go see it as soon as she can.

• Hugs 1

4 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Okay, awake and caffeinated. Spoiler free stuff to start as usual.

It’s kinda difficult to look at this movie from a non-meta point of view. Deadpool and Wolverine (the characters) have some juice in the comics of course, but a non trivial amount of the reason this movie exists is because of stuff like MCU integration, the Reynolds / Jackman IRL interactions, longstanding fan requests and movie rumors, etc. Ignoring the Wolverine of it all for a second… Deadpool & Wolverine (the movie) largely delivers in this respect. If you’ve managed to stay spoiler free there are some fun surprises here, especially for anyone who’s liked comic movies for a while. 

But the movie also struggles to balance that with a broad story and even individual scenes in a way that feel authentic or, frankly, make much sense. Yes it’s very meta and very Deadpool to break the fourth wall and lampshade those things, but that doesn’t make the final product come together to form a whole as satisfying as it could.

It’s not surprising that a movie called Deadpool & Wolverine focuses mainly on those two characters of course, but it’s SO FOCUSED on them and the cameos that everything else ends up getting short shrift. Some of the characters and relationships that drove everything from the first two movies are here but they’re sidelined in the interest of Wade and Logan doing things. And yes, we’re here for that, but the movie sets up Wade caring about his people and his universe in such a way that they repeatedly have to tell us because they’re not really around for Wade to be able to show us. For a movie that’s barely over two hours long, it feels longer. Logan and Wade have a couple fights that feel like they start for the same reasons, a few of the character revelations from Logan in particular feel like they get repeated. And frankly, if we’re going to get into multiverse shenanigans, I don’t know quite how to feel about the fact that what this movie’s Logan went through seems really similar to what we’ve seen from the character in other movies. I appreciate it’s a tightrope act to keep the character similar enough to not need a whole other thing for him while also not just using “our” Logan. But I think the only way it works is if you kind of don’t think about it. Which is fine, I guess.

Anyway, spoilers. Some of the indulgences I referenced last night I’ll cover below.

Cameo / meta stuff.

Reveal hidden contents

Wolverine stuff.

Reveal hidden contents

Plot and villain stuff.

Reveal hidden contents

Anyway that’s probably more writing that the movie deserves, but the coffee is flowing so whatever.

In terms of being an actual MOVIE I think this is pretty obviously the worst of the three Deadpool flicks; the pacing isn’t great despite the movie not being long, the plot is absolutely nonsensical. But I don’t know if it’s trying to be a traditional superhero movie or even a “traditional” Deadpool movie. This thing is the equivalent of a Bronze Age of comics team-up one-shot; we want to see the heroes on the cover hit one another while the villain we know they’ll eventually join forces to punch cackles in the background. We get that here. If you want to see Deadpool and Wolverine fight, if you want to see Reynolds and Jackman banter, and if you want to see cameos, and if you want meta jokes… you’re going to get a lot of all of that. It tries to be a love letter to a specific era of comic movies and I think it bungles that under the weight of its cameos and its titular team up.

If I remember my ratings for X-Men / MCU stuff I gave Deadpool a 4, Deadpool 2 a 3, and something like X-Men Apocalypse a 2. I’d say this is a 3/5 as well. It’s not as well constructed as Deadpool 2 but it’s probably more fun.

I walked out of the movie feeling like nothing really happened, but it was still enjoyable. Also glad I just caught it at a convenient location instead of going crazy finding a showing at the local true IMAX screen that had a decent seat open. 

4 hours ago, Jason said:

re: Vanessa

Reveal hidden contents

So Disney retconned her from a prostitute to a stripper? 

Spoiler

I know she was a sex worker, but wasn’t she also a stripper? Am I remembering that wrong?

4 hours ago, Jason said:

I walked out of the movie feeling like nothing really happened, but it was still enjoyable. 

This is probably a little harsher than I feel, but I get that vibe. Honestly I think one of the things that it never really gets over is the fact that this movie is basically a palette swap of Deadpool 2. Yes some things are literally different, it’s not a shot for shot remake or anything. But it’s basically Deadpool 2 again. 

This was a lot of fun. I went with my girlfriend and two friends and had a good time, with a lot of laughs. 

Honestly, it's a satire of the superhero genre, and can't be taken too seriously. It's absolutely a movie to see with friends in a big crowd, not a movie to go see by yourself. 

• True 1

Saw this yesterday morning, absolutely fantastic and the best of the 3 Deadpool movies IMO. I’m glad I was mostly on a blackout for the movie as I didn’t know about any of the cameos (I only knew who the “big bad” in the movie was going to be). I’m also glad I didn’t wait past opening weekend to see it as spoilers for this shit is immediate even from channels like IGN. 
I know I’ll get shit for saying this but, holy fuck, it also reminded me why this is the first movie I saw in theaters since the pandemic: prices are out of control and the movie starting 45 minutes after the listed showtime is just ridiculous on a movie that’s already 2-hours long. Regarding ticket prices, 3 tickets cost me about $70 - no shit movies are still breaking records when the prices are up this much lmao. I think the “box office records” needs to be shifted to “number of tickets sold” not gross income, because when things are nearly 2x what they were 10-15 years ago, it’s kind of a fucked metric. It was a 9am show so the theater was only like 1/4 full.

To go along with what @Spork3245 mentioned regarding measuring box office performance records:

WWW.HOLLYWOODREPORTER.COM

The Ryan Reynolds-Hugh Jackman superhero pic smashed numerous records both domestically and overseas for a stunning global launch of $444.1 million.

Deadpool & Wolverine opened to a record-shattering $211 million at the domestic box office, landing the sixth-biggest opening of all time for any film and by far the biggest launch for an R-rated film, according to final numbers. That’s up from Sunday’s estimate of $205 million, which would have made it the eighth-biggest opening of all time. 

Deadpool 3 also shattered records for an R-rated pic on a global scale, opening to $233.1 million internationally from 55 materials markets for a worldwide start of $441.1 million, up from Sunday’s estimate of $438.3 million.

25 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

To go along with what @Spork3245 mentioned regarding measuring box office performance records:

WWW.HOLLYWOODREPORTER.COM

The Ryan Reynolds-Hugh Jackman superhero pic smashed numerous records both domestically and overseas for a stunning global launch of $444.1 million.

Yep, I saw that this morning and is why it was on my mind. Ticket sales (as in number of tickets sold) should really be the metric, because older films can't really compete when the pricing is so different.

• True 2

Saw it with the wife this weekend.  And while I can understand some of the criticisms here, for me, I thought it was 2+ hours of pure escapist fun.  Pretty sure I was grinning or laughing for 90% of the movie or more.

I've always really loved movies/tv shows which are clear satire/sendups made by people who are diehard fans of what they're lampooning. It's precisely why I adore COBRA KAI, and that is very analagous to how I felt watching this.

It's hard for me to pick at nits when I'm having as much fucking fun as I had watching D&W. 

• Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

Just saw it tonight. I had a lot of fun with it, especially the first half. I felt the second half lost some steam, but that might be because I don't get all that excited about time travel stuff.

Spoiler

Instead of watching a timeline die after 1 or 2 thousand years, the better option is just to destroy it right away? That got a wtf from me.

IMO, they opened the movie with the best and most fun fight scene and it made the others pale in comparison. Although, my family vehicle is an older Honda Odyssey, so that fight and KIA comparisons probably struck my fancy more than the other theater goers lol. I loved it.

Anywho, this was the first movie I've seen in the theatre since having kids (5 years), but I'm glad I did. I had a good time, but wished it finished as awesome as it started.

Edit: 

Spoiler

I loved the opening fight scene, but the nerd in me, wondered how he was able to pull apart an adamantium skeleton, to use as weapons, so easily?

• Hugs 1

Just got done with it and I think it’s my favorite of the Deadpool movies. It’s just wacky and fun and I didn’t need it to make total sense because I knew what

i was going in for. 

I also remained completely ignorant of all the surprises, so every cameo was a blast for me. 

4 hours ago, Derek said:

Edit: 

Hide contents

I loved the opening fight scene, but the nerd in me, wondered how he was able to pull apart an adamantium skeleton, to use as weapons, so easily?

Bones aren’t connected by bone.

• Thanks 1

I had to stop watching Deadpool (first one) out of just not finding it enjoyable at all! I only saw it once at its release but the humor in it was just awful. 

This basically scratches off the 3rd film for me as well. I'm just not a fan at all. Ryan Reynolds is a good dude but I just don't find him funny. 

I'll see myself out. :p

On 7/29/2024 at 12:09 PM, Spork3245 said:

Yep, I saw that this morning and is why it was on my mind. Ticket sales (as in number of tickets sold) should really be the metric, because older films can't really compete when the pricing is so different.

But then studios can’t go out and have something to puff out their chests about every few years :p 

I went to a morning showing today and while I will absolutely agree that it tiptoed up to (and probably charged head-first well over) the line of being "just too damned much for its own good", I had a helluva lot of fun and don't regret the $11.50 ticket price in the leat :twothumbsup:

• Hype 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...