Deadpool & Wolverine (July 26, 2024) Discussion Thread - update (07/19): "Final" trailer (major spoiler so be advised)

5 hours ago, SoberChef said:

Thursday 3P cannot come soon enough, but I too have heard that that FINAL trailer is spoilery, so I will NOT watch!

I lasted an hour, I lied, I watched it, its gorgeous & emotional, sorry for lying! 

To be fair, the "spoiler" was technically spoiled months & months ago when it came to who was on set etc. For those who've followed production of this film, you'll already know then. 

• Haha 1

DEADLINE.COM

Deadpool & Wolverine finally opens and is expected to revitalize the MCU's brilliance at the box office with an estimated $360 million debut.

Marvel Studios/Disney‘s Deadpool & Wolverine finally opens this weekend, not only further rebounding the post-strike box office to a healthy place, but also revitalizing the MCU’s brilliance.

It was only last November that the studio fell on hard times with its lowest opening ever in The Marvels at $46.1 million U.S./$110 million worldwide.

The current range for domestic on the new Deadpool movie directed by Shawn Levy and starring Ryan Reynolds and Hugh Jackman is $160M-$170M, destined to be the biggest R-rated opening of all time, unseating the original Deadpool‘s $132.4M. Worldwide stands at $340M-$360M off an offshore start of $180M-$190M.

3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
DEADLINE.COM

Deadpool & Wolverine finally opens and is expected to revitalize the MCU's brilliance at the box office with an estimated $360 million debut.

I swear they are under estimating the opening. Betcha it’s closer to half billion by the end of the weekend. I still have a weird feeling that Endgame numbers could even be close, even for the R rating.

23 minutes ago, silentbob said:

I swear they are under estimating the opening. Betcha it’s closer to half billion by the end of the weekend. I still have a weird feeling that Endgame numbers could even be close, even for the R rating.

Ehhhhhh - let's just say I wouldn't make any bets on that one.

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Ehhhhhh - let's just say I wouldn't make any bets on that one.

Yeah after seeing the seats available on Thursday at my local theatre I’m actually heading there now as well. Although I stand by my half billion worldwide opening and $200m at the lowest domestic opening. 

37 minutes ago, Best said:

Because I'd rather just stream it at home on a virtual IMAX screen with my quest 3. 

It’s also in 3D, a first for a Deadpool feature and pray that the movie gets the 3D disc release treatment from Japan. Still tempted to go see it tonight at 10 in 3D/ATMOS minus D-Box

3 minutes ago, silentbob said:

It’s also in 3D, a first for a Deadpool feature and pray that the movie gets the 3D disc release treatment from Japan. Still tempted to go see it tonight at 10 in 3D/ATMOS minus D-Box

Oh nice. I'll watch it in 3D then.

• Hype 1

1 hour ago, EternallDarkness said:

I'll be in the minority I am sure, but this is the weakest of the Deadpool movies.

Reveal hidden contents

just too damn much 4th wall breaking and every other line was a sex joke....one would be funny...3000 of them?! not so much 

I haven't seen this yet, but Deadpool 2 started to wear out its welcome in these respects, too.

Spoiler

Deadpool is kind of a one trick pony when it comes to the 4th wall stuff. Shit, Deadpool killed "himself" in the credits for Deadpool 2... TWICE. There's no way that wasn't going to be ground into dust in this one.

And not that Deadpool isn't pervy in the comics, but the Van Wilder of it all is, again, very one note. 

Still pumped to see it, but given the reviews I've read and the comments, this doesn't seem too surprising. 

As someone who's been a fan of Wade since the 90s, this in my opinion is the best iteration. Legit, this flick delivers in ways I never even thought imaginable, and it all works and makes SO much sense. I loved it, I actually shed tears numerous times, both because I can't believe we are finally getting this, but also from the emotional beats as well.

I legit have only ONE gripe/spoiler and I ain't gonna hide it ...

30 MINUTES OF COMMERCIALS & TRAILERS IS FAR TOO LONG AND SEVERELY UNACCEPTABLE! (Seriously, 3p showing didn't begin to screen the film until 330p)

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

13 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

that's all movies these days. It's crazy 

Not all. We only play ads before the posted showtime. At the posted show time, we have a total of 90 seconds of pre show content and 3 trailers, so around a max of 10 minutes between posted showtime and feature start time 😎

But a real cancer is sweeping the industry with big companies paying for ad placement after the trailers and directly prior to the feature. Yuck.

• stepee 1
  • True 1

Ok so I saw it last night and overall enjoyed, but I do think I overhyped myself as well. So I liked, but I think I was expecting more in ways as well. The sound was good and the 3D was also really well done (better get a disc Japan, but not being released in 3d for Japanese theatres) The story pretty much is Reynolds/Marvel/Disney saying that we’re sorry for Phase 5, but we can be good entertainment again. The amount of 4th wall breaks in this films are everywhere and anywhere, while being totally meta as well. The action is overall really well done, with the action having that Raid very fast/rapid and aggressive fighting style. The humour can be a bit much at times but overall had a few good gut laughs. I like the villain, both of them worked but liked Corrin’s story/character worked for me on several levels. 

LET’S TALK ABOUT THE SPOILERS

Spoiler

Channing finally playing Gambit was fun to have but he doesn’t have the look or accent to pull it off. Snipes back as Blade was my biggest surprise, especially with Reynold’s difficulties while filming Blade: Trinity. loved the dig between Reynold’s and Garner over DareDevil dying in his raid attempt. I knew of Evan’s coming back of The Human Torch but loved the Captain America build before the reveal. Plus that Boston accent of his and the “rant that got him killed” was great. I swore I heard of a lot more cameos happening, but the Cavill Logan appearance was awesome. Plus I like that it seems X-23 might be coming to the MCU with her being the only one at the table, unless I missed someone. 

Overall I would put this slightly ahead of the 2nd movie but not close to the first. Again, the 3D is pretty great and Deadpool even says so before a fight. 

overall first impression 3.25/5

• stepee 1
  • Thanks 1

I have the AMC subscription so I’m fairly familiar with their timing. They are very consistently ~25min of trailers before the pre-show stuff (Nicole Kidman, Dolby Cinema/IMAX hype, maybe a Coke commercial). I usually don’t even leave my home until the posted showtime.

• Halal 1

I saw it last night in a packed Dolby Cinema showing. 

I thought it was fine. It’s very much Deadpool with a giant budget and access to the MCU. So you get bigger action scenes, a ton of cameos, and a lot of needle drops. Some of it works and some of it doesn’t. I wouldn’t say it’s disappointing, but I didn’t love it. It’s a fun ride, but often it’s a bit much. Between the constant 4th wall breaks, the confusing multi-verse stuff, the cameos, the jokes, the action, it has so little time to find a groove. For all its wackiness and for everything this move throws at the wall, the actual chemistry between Deadpool and Wolverine is pretty one note. I also didn’t feel like they nailed any of the needle drops until the song played in the credits.

So there are as many misses as hits, but it’s easily worthwhile if you have any affection for the Fox/Marvel films and have enjoyed Deadpool in the past, but it’s not something I’ll be revisiting any time soon.

A small request for anyone that saw it. The sound cut out for a few minutes, so I’d appreciate someone giving me the gist of a conversation.

Spoiler

We couldn’t hear any of the conversation between Logan and X23 around the fire before they attack the Ant-man compound.

• Thanks 1

On 7/25/2024 at 8:30 PM, SoberChef said:

30 MINUTES OF COMMERCIALS & TRAILERS IS FAR TOO LONG AND SEVERELY UNACCEPTABLE! (Seriously, 3p showing didn't begin to screen the film until 330p)

Bro the same thing happened to me. I saw it yesterday and my showtime was 2:00. Didn't get to the opening credits for the movie until 2:30pm. I said to myself, "Damn, 30 minutes of commercials and trailers, huh?"

As far as the movie goes, the one word I can think of was FUN. It was a fun time at he movies, especially fun if you like the Xmen and their films of the last two decades. Emma Corrin does a lot with a little as Cassandra Nova and the special effect of her power was creepy as hell.

Spoiler

(or Fox' superhero films.

I ran to the movies yesterday because a friend of mine saw it Thursday night and was like "Go see it before the internet spoils a lot of it" and I'm glad I did. Some of parts of the movie were pleasant surprises that I had NO IDEA were coming. So my advice to anyone planning on seeing this, go see it fast or stay off the internet. 

@TwinIon

Spoiler

She was the one who basically convinced him to attack the compound with them. He wasn't going to go and thought it was a suicide mission. She told him that if it wasn't for "Him" that she would have never had a childhood and neither would a lot of other kids (the kids from Logan). When he told her that he wasn't her Logan and he was the wrong guy, she told him that her Logan was also the "wrong guy", until he wasn't. Those words inspire him to become dedicated to the mission in the final act and he hears them in the sound montage when Cassandra Nova is finger fucking his brain.

Hope that helps. What movie theater is losing their sound in 2024? sounds like they need to have a conversation with @sblfilms

23 hours ago, silentbob said:

Spoiler

Channing finally playing Gambit was fun to have but he doesn’t have the look or accent to pull it off.

@silentbob that was part of the joke. 

Spoiler

Deadpool literally questions who his dialect coach was and makes fun of his accent constantly... I feel like Tatum was clearly hamming up an impression of animated Gambit's accent. I laughed everytime he opened his mouth.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I saw it last night in a packed Dolby Cinema showing. 

I thought it was fine. It’s very much Deadpool with a giant budget and access to the MCU. So you get bigger action scenes, a ton of cameos, and a lot of needle drops. Some of it works and some of it doesn’t. I wouldn’t say it’s disappointing, but I didn’t love it. It’s a fun ride, but often it’s a bit much. Between the constant 4th wall breaks, the confusing multi-verse stuff, the cameos, the jokes, the action, it has so little time to find a groove. For all its wackiness and for everything this move throws at the wall, the actual chemistry between Deadpool and Wolverine is pretty one note. I also didn’t feel like they nailed any of the needle drops until the song played in the credits.

So there are as many misses as hits, but it’s easily worthwhile if you have any affection for the Fox/Marvel films and have enjoyed Deadpool in the past, but it’s not something I’ll be revisiting any time soon.

A small request for anyone that saw it. The sound cut out for a few minutes, so I’d appreciate someone giving me the gist of a conversation.

Reveal hidden contents

Hmm. I'm kinda disappointed with the impressions in here. I'm glad you guys are giving honest impressions without getting caught up in the hype which can be difficult to do. 

I'll just stream this like I originally planned but I'm no longer hyped for it. Oh well. 

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Hope that helps. What movie theater is losing their sound in 2024? sounds like they need to have a conversation with @sblfilms

A little behind the scenes about Dolby Cinema and IMAX auditoriums: literally none of the functionality is controlled by the on premises staff. It isn’t even controlled by remote staff of the theater circuit, both companies have a networked operation center in California that controls everything including the volume.

Most likely scenario for a complete sound outage: somebody accidentally triggered the volume fader to go to 0 at the NOC and it took them some time to realize they screwed up.

• Shocked 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

A little behind the scenes about Dolby Cinema and IMAX auditoriums: literally none of the functionality is controlled by the on premises staff. It isn’t even controlled by remote staff of the theater circuit, both companies have a networked operation center in California that controls everything including the volume.

Most likely scenario for a complete sound outage: somebody accidentally triggered the volume fader to go to 0 at the NOC and it took them some time to realize they screwed up.

I’m surprised by that news, but is this for Laser setups I take it. Like I’ve said before, we seem to of had many differences in theatre setups (lucky bastard didn’t insure the 35mm era, but digital lost me my job) I only got to see the film IMAX Projectors and was told they were in sync with a separate drive and couldn’t missed a single frame when putting the prints together. I believe our IMAX headquarters are only like 30mins from my house in Mississauga, Ontario. What I’m overall saying is that we had control of the volume for our auditoriums

Well, I had fun.

Spoiler

I'm usually quiet in the theater but AoA Logan got me good.

Snipes got everyone though.

Reynolds got his redemption with the Deadpool franchise so it was cool to see others get a bit as well.

The Daredevil joke.

GIF by launchsquad

• Haha 2

On 7/26/2024 at 2:19 PM, sblfilms said:

Not all. We only play ads before the posted showtime. At the posted show time, we have a total of 90 seconds of pre show content and 3 trailers, so around a max of 10 minutes between posted showtime and feature start time 😎

But a real cancer is sweeping the industry with big companies paying for ad placement after the trailers and directly prior to the feature. Yuck.

okay..well I should have said the major chains