The Last of Us - Season 2 (HBO | 2025) - Official Thread, update (09/26): Season 2 Teaser Trailer

This was a very competent, well-executed television episode.

I'm just unsure if there's necessarily anything there that's especially compelling for someone who isn't already invested in the source material.

For me, this first episode identified the critical problem with the experiential "regression" from an interactive medium (video game) to a non-interactive one (television).

Even though it's practically a shot-for-shot adaptation of the identical sequences in the game, the television viewing experience is quite a bit "slower" than the comparable gameplay experience because of the lack of interactivity.

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Even though it's practically a shot-for-shot adaptation of the identical sequences in the game, the television viewing experience is quite a bit "slower" than the comparable gameplay experience because of the lack of interactivity.

I dont think the lack of interactivity was the cause of the slowness, the show spent a good chunk of time building the characters/world far more then the game did. My wife really enjoyed the show, I showed her the game opening and her response was "fuck thats fast". I think had they gone closer to the game you would lose a lot of viewers. Gamers have no attention span and want to be shot gunned into the action. 

4 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I have no complaints and I’ve played through the game twice, so my recall is pretty good. 

Spoiler

The scene where Sarah dies was not emotional at all. During the game I just recently played on PS5 I teared up. 

Seems like they are rushing things, too. Maybe it's because I just got done playing the game but I feel so far the acting and emotions are better in the game. 

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the episode and it should just get better.

6 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

This was a very competent, well-executed television episode.

I'm just unsure if there's necessarily anything there that's especially compelling for someone who isn't already invested in the source material.

For me, this first episode identified the critical problem with the experiential "regression" from an interactive medium (video game) to a non-interactive one (television).

There’s an interesting trade-off, because sequences like the opening action scene are going to feel slower and less thrilling when you’re just watching and not playing. But that game also as a lot of cutscenes and “gameplay” moments where you aren’t really doing anything, just waiting for the dialog to end so you can get back to playing. A scripted, non interactive show can juice up those sections. We’re also getting more scenes that aren’t directly from our protagonist’s POV, which I think will help a lot down the road.

Also worth noting that the interactive nature of games can also really hurt the immersion and flow of a good story. One time when I playing through that opening scene, I took a wrong turn while carrying Sarah and died. Completely ruined the moment. 

5 hours ago, TheLeon said:

Also worth noting that the interactive nature of games can also really hurt the immersion and flow of a good story. One time when I playing through that opening scene, I took a wrong turn while carrying Sarah and died. Completely ruined the moment. 

This was my experience with so much of Read Dead 2.

I thought it was a very solid first episode that was incredibly faithful to the source material. I'm playing through Part 1 right now, and I was a bit surprised exactly how closely the pilot follows the first couple hours of the game. I'm sure we'll see some detailed comparisons, but there was a lot of stuff that used the game as a virtual storyboard.

I'm seeing a lot of praise for the show based on how faithful it is to the game, and I'm curious to see if there will be any backlash once the show deviates a bit.

• Halal 1

I haven't played the game, but this was an extremely polished episode of television. The acting was great all around, the pacing seems right so far, and the world building started out nicely. 

It felt a little more authentic and warm than The Walking Dead, but still a chilling break down of society. 

We were ready for the next episode and neither of us have played the game. I already care about the characters enough to keep going and I'm curious about the world.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

Opening episode was pretty great I thought, and I say that as someone who has played both games (and liked both a lot). A lot of beat for beat moments taken from the game, but also some nice additions and expansions that make things flow smoother and better for this medium. Will definitely be watching more, and I'm glad they kept Ellie's cursing.

• stepee 1
  • Halal 1

7 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Yeah, the casting is really good. I admit, Pascal and Ramsey weren’t who I’d first think of for Joel and Ellie, but after watching the opening, they nailed it. 

Yeah, the TV show already has me hooked similar to how the game had me hooked in its opening, and I think a lot of that is the casting and acting (well, the entire production is quality) that helps to still draw us in even when we know the story.

On the verge of or outright was bawling throughout. Not because of the moment to moment of it all, but that something I cherish so much (arguably TLoU 1 & 2 are top echelon game experiences of all time for me) that its just so unbelievably beautiful to behold it as a live action adaptation being done with SO much love, grace, & respect. Granted, its because I've had the experience of the games multiple times, so that benefits me knowing where the story is going. Granted, I thought I was ready for being hurt again, but woefully I am not but I accept & invite the hurt to come over these next couple months because it's worth experiencing again.

I'm genuinely intrigued by those who have zero context of the games as to what they think & feel by the time all is said & done. My wife enjoyed the hell of out of it last night & had merely seen me play the games a few times here & there so she has basic context but isn't the type to be in the minutiae of the games.

Lastly, probably a bit of a dad joke, but I'm pretty sure Joel will NEVER want to hear this song on the radio

So I only managed to squeeze in watching until Joel's daughter (fuck, I always forget her name) wakes up to all the commotion outside with Joel out of the house. 

Something I noticed is that, at least so far, the pacing and tone is relatively quiet, understated and refreshingly confident. I mean that as in, it seems to move at a slower, steadier and more confident pace that I would've expected and that's a very good thing in my opinion. The shot of the elderly neighbor contorting in the background just out-of-focus was something that made me go okay, this bodes well for this show. This is one of those moments where I essentially expect obnoxious jump cuts, jump-scare score hits and so on at this point but instead we were left sitting in the relative silence of that house and only hear the faint noises of her body contorting, barely audible even on headphones. 

By the time the jets flew overhead I felt the show had built a surprising amount of anxiety and doomy atmosphere that snuck up on me and kind of released when I saw that shot. I thought that image, combined with the lack of a blaring score telling us "danger", was very strong. 

I'm really looking forward to actually sitting down to watch this and I can't say I had much interest in this prior to be quite honest. The only slight chink in the armor for me was that I only thought the actor playing Joel was noticeably good. Not sure I like the dude who plays Tommy, his acting seemed kind of overblown in the few scenes he's been in that I saw so far. Joel's daughter is okay but kind of stands out as slightly wooden vs. Joel. 

• Halal 2