Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

If Biden is smart he starts putting his cabinet together NOW. Show people he knows who to pick and by large, have those people campaign on behalf of him on what change THEY bring to the table over the current administration.

For example, and a bad one, Biden picks Tulsi Gabbard for HUD, and Gabbard goes out there and tells everyone how SHE’S better than Ben Carson. 

42 minutes ago, johnny said:

Better be careful criticizing his girl like that. You’ll make him very angry for telling the truth. 

Ana's like this woman who thought Wisconsin wasn't voting on anything other than the presidential primary yesterday and was MAD at Bernie for risking people's lives. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mclumber1 said:

If you want to know how bad Hillary Clinton's campaign was...She lost to Donald J. Trump.

She ran a bad campaign, but I still think discounting Trump's campaign is dumb and is a surefire way to make sure he gets reelected.

Every losing campaign is terrible and every winning campaign is brilliant. And around and around again.

And Russ Feingold got fewer votes than Hillary in Wisconsin. Probably not the best example to use. In fact, it's an example that proves the argument embarrassingly wrong.

19 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

And Russ Feingold got fewer votes than Hillary in Wisconsin. Probably not the best example to use. In fact, it's an example that proves the argument embarrassingly wrong.

He asked for help and Hillary's campaign ignored him and that's proof he deserved to lose? :silly:

6 hours ago, Jose said:

She ran a bad campaign, but I still think discounting Trump's campaign is dumb and is a surefire way to make sure he gets reelected.

He ran a terrible campaign too. The difference is the media gave him countless hours of free publicity compared to what Clinton got, and the same thing is going to happen here with Biden.

10 hours ago, Anathema- said:

Every losing campaign is terrible and every winning campaign is brilliant.

People who lose tend to have inferior campaigns, yes. Hers was spectacularly terrible despite the Alicia Machado surprise. Hopefully, Biden learned from her limitless mistakes.

10 hours ago, Jason said:

He asked for help and Hillary's campaign ignored him and that's proof he deserved to lose? :silly:

Most Senate candidates aren't getting more votes than the president, so I doubly don't get the point lol

Every Senate candidate who won in their state also saw their party's presidential candidate win that state in 2016. 

Here's my new concern: I've been living in interesting times since 9/11/01 I want off this ride. And this is before the full force of climate change comes home to roost. I think it likelier than ever, given the massive depression we're sprinting into, that if Joe doesn't rise to the occasion (whatever that is, and assuming a wave coming with him to take the Senate, or him exercising sufficient executive authority) then we will see a right wing protofascist seize power within the decade. And I don't mean elected. I mean sufficient state governments decide who gets their electoral votes without a popular mandate.

• Sad 1

11 Governorships Are Up For Grabs In 2020. Here’s What’s Happening.

GOV-UPDATE-0407-4x3-1.png?w=575

Gov. Jay Inslee of Washington, whose state was at one point the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak, has also earned praise for his handling of the situation. Others, such as West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice, have captured headlines for the wrong reasons.

For some of these governors, including Inslee and Justice, their response to the coronavirus could have near-term electoral ramifications. That’s because 11 states will cast ballots for governor in 2020, and in at least eight of those states, incumbents are seeking reelection. As you can see in the table below, six contests are currently rated as “safe” for one party, but a few could still be quite competitive come November. And any gains Democrats make in 2020 could help to give them the edge nationally, as Republicans currently control 26 of the 50 state governorships. However, Republicans are defending more safe ground in 2020 than the Democrats, so they may be in a better position to extend their narrow advantage.

West Virginia's governor was elected as a Democrat in 2016 and switched to being a Republican in 2017. He made headlines when he was still a Democrat for using actual bullshit as a prop before he vetoed the Republicans' budget.

His approval rating is mediocre:

West Virginia’s Justice may also face meaningful primary opposition. Elected as a Democrat in 2016 before switching parties in 2017, Justice has only a mediocre approval rating and has dealt with controversy surrounding some of his business dealings, so it’s not entirely a shock that he drew a primary challenge from former state Secretary of Commerce Woody Thrasher. An internal poll released by Thrasher found Thrasher down by just 8 points (though remember to take internal polls with a grain of salt). A few public polls have given Justice a healthier lead of more than 30 points, but the June 9 primary contest is worth keeping an eye on, especially as Justice’s ham-fisted response to the coronavirus pandemic could affect the race, too.

24 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

AOC isn't long for Congress, even with her "making peace" or whatever with the establishment (Pelosi et al). Dissent will not be tolerated by capital, who runs both parties.

Her approval ratings are high with Democrats in her district and her name recognition is off the charts. I doubt she loses her seat.

4 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

AOC isn't long for Congress, even with her "making peace" or whatever with the establishment (Pelosi et al). Dissent will not be tolerated by capital, who runs both parties.

I would donate hundreds to her campaign and I live on the other side of the country. Hopefully others would be able to as well if she needs it. 

4 hours ago, SilentWorld said:

The increase in sinophobia is really fucken scary. 

Yeah my Asian American friends are really concerned about it. A lot of them haven't experienced this before... their parents and grandparents have though. Also...

FIVE REASONS BERNIE SANDERS LOST

Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders ended his bid for the 2020 Democratic Party's presidential nomination on Wednesday. Not only did he lose a second time in a row, but he actually ended up with less support.

There are many reasons Sanders fell short to Joe Biden. Here are five of them.

1. Lack of black support

Sanders ran into a wall in 2016 among black voters. Hillary Clinton catapulted herself to victory by winning blowouts throughout the South, where black voters make up a huge chunk of primary voters. Sanders needed to improve upon his performance.

Instead, Sanders did as bad in 2020 among this pivotal group. Among African Americans who voted for Biden or Sanders, Sanders won just 23% in the median state with an entrance or exit poll. That was the same percentage he garnered in 2016.

Black voters propelled Biden to his big win in South Carolina, which started him on his journey to defeating Sanders.

2. Lack of establishment support

Sanders was never going to be the darling of the establishment. He's a democratic socalist. Still, he needed the establishment not to be petrified of him winning the nomination.

Unfortunately for Sanders, they were. Sanders got almost the same meager number of endorsements from members of Congress and governors (10) in 2020 as he did in 2016 (9).

The ill effects of the establishment not being fans of him became clear around the South Carolina primary. Biden rode the endorsement of House Democratic Whip Jim Clyburn to a blowout victory. Once Biden became the clear alternative to Sanders, Biden built on that win ahead of Super Tuesday with big endorsements from former South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg, Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar and former Rep. Beto O'Rourke -- all former 2020 rivals.

3. No youth turnout surge

Sanders continuously said he would get young people to come out and vote. Sanders, of course, won big majorities among young voters in both 2016 and 2020.

The problem is that there was no upswing in youth turnout relative to other voters. In the median state with an entrance exit poll, those under 45 years old made up 39% of Democratic primary voters in 2016. This year, they were 34%. So if anything, youth turnout may have, in fact, dropped.

Perhaps ironically, in places where turnout was up, Biden won by a lot.

4. White voters without a college degree switch sides

One of Sanders stronger groups in 2016 was white voters without a college degree. If you look on the primary map, you'll see Sanders did very well in 2016 in states like Oklahoma and West Virginia.

It turns out a lot of those voters weren't casting their lot with Sanders as much as they were casting their lot against Clinton, something that was a prelude to her weak general election performance with this group.

Among white voters without a college degree who voted for Biden or Sanders, Sanders took 45% in the median state with an entrance or exit poll. That's down from the 53% he earned in 2016 when he beat Clinton amongst this group.

By doing so well with this group, Biden was able to win the bulk of northern states on Super Tuesday and build on his wave of momentum.

5. Fewer caucuses in 2020

The Democratic National Committee put forth a bunch of recommendations (approved by Sanders allies) after 2016, including encouraging more primaries and fewer caucuses. That most certainly hurt Sanders.

Clinton lost the vast majority of caucuses in 2016 and often by wide margins, even as she easily won the nomination. This year, Biden hasn't won a single caucus contest so far. You may recall, for example, that Sanders won the popular vote in Iowa and Nevada, as Biden struggled in both states.

The problem for Sanders is the percentage of delegates determined by caucuses dropped from 14% in 2016 to 3% in 2020.

States that moved from caucuses to primary like Idaho, Maine, Minnesota and Washington that Sanders crushed in 2016 became Biden wins in 2020.

Sounds about right to me...

9 hours ago, Jason said:

Further proof the Trump attack machine is way beyond what it was in 2016...Biden’s gonna get steamrolled.

And just to cement how weakly positioned he is:

Indeed, strong enthusiasm for Biden among his supporters – at just 24% – is the lowest on record for a Democratic presidential candidate in 20 years of ABC/Post polls. More than twice as many of Trump’s supporters are highly enthusiastic about supporting him, 53%.

...Democrats are so unenthusiastic about him that there’s even chatter in the media that some want him replaced by Cuomo, even though that’s probably impossible.

:facepalm:

If I didn’t have a seven-year old, I’d be stocking up on some good comfort weed for Election Day.

If the Dems can make gains in Congress and governorships, though, there’s at least reason to be optimistic about 2024.

In the latest Monmouth poll, Biden and Trump are tied with young voters.

18-34: 

44% Biden

44% Trump

35-54:

49% Biden

41% Trump

55+:

Biden: 49%

Trump: 46%

With the coronavirus pandemic playing out, it's hard to say what we're going to look like in a few months.... or even one month from now. But the fact that Biden is leading because he's leading with middle-aged and older voters in this poll was quite a thing to read.

At the same time, this was taken before Bernie dropped out, so consolidation around the candidate hasn't happened (Hillary got a bump after she was clearly the nominee in June). And the coronavirus is really sucking up all news cycles.

That ad is fucked up. It's basically CHINA CHINA CHINA. It says fucking nothing. It's all meaningless garbage. It's pure raw unfiltered racism.

Trump's china travel ban did fucking nothing and all this footage of Biden calling it xenophobic is skirting around the fact that he never directly described the ban that way. He was describing Trump that way. I know that's a fine line to walk, but team Trump has so little to hang onto in this that this is the best they can do. It's fucking pathetic. It's hard to play politics when one of the sides can basically do and say whatever they want without consequence.

4 hours ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

If the Dems can make gains in Congress and governorships, though, there’s at least reason to be optimistic about 2024.

Ruth Badar Ginsberg and possibly Breyer will be dead by 2024.

With 4 or 5 Trump appointees on the court it is likely "elections" will more closely resemble whatever you would call the things Russia has.

Time to get excited for Biden, folks.

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, SlipperySlope said:

It is. They're dumb af. 

I feel I had a legit Neo-Nazi on my team in Hearts of Iron last week. Dude was legit praising Hitler and denying the Holocaust. Now that you mention it he could have been trolling but the dude did want to COOP Germany. Had to mute him. I felt disgust on having him on my team.

I imagine it goes with the territory a game that let's you play as Nazi Germany would attract that crowd. 

Guess I can enjoy the fact I pwn neo nazis online?

Seriously, we should be giving people that look up to dorks like Ben Shapiro, Milo Yabba Dabba Doo and Richard Spencer wedgies. 

Those guys are fucking dorks and should be treated as such. 

Who the fuck looks up to these guys and go “yeah! I want to be like them!”?

33 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Seriously, we should be giving people that look up to dorks like Ben Shapiro, Milo Yabba Dabba Doo and Richard Spencer wedgies. 

Why stop at wedgies? 

:guillotine:

2 hours ago, MarSolo said:

Imagine looking at Ben Shapiro and thinking he's an intellectual.

2 hours ago, MarSolo said:

Fuck that

spacer.png

"3. No youth turnout surge"

Weren't there reports of young people who did go out to vote but many couldn't wait for 4+ hours because they couldn't afford to, so they had to leave? As opposed to older people who don't work and literally have all the time in the world until they die?

58 minutes ago, Joestradamus said:

"3. No youth turnout surge"

Weren't there reports of young people who did go out to vote but many couldn't wait for 4+ hours because they couldn't afford to, so they had to leave? As opposed to older people who don't work and literally have all the time in the world until they die?

I wouldn't say there were "reports"... there was "Speculation" that that might have been a reason. What's fact is the voter turnout for the Youth vote overall was actually down compared to 2016. Also there were long lines in a couple of places but 4+ plus hours was hardly the norm this elections cycle. When I went to vote in CA it was about 90 minutes I think? And that was at my particular polling place. Other people I knew were in and out in 10 minutes. I don't think long lines were a factor this cycle for the youth vote not showing up the way Bernie anticipated. Even he acknowledges that

"Have we been as successful as I would hope in bringing young people in? The answer is no," Sanders told reporters at a news conference at his Burlington, Vt., headquarters. Sanders went on to acknowledge the undeniable challenge that any candidate banking on the support of younger voters faces: They do not vote in high numbers, compared with other groups.

"I think that will change in the general election, but I will be honest with you, we have not done as well with bringing young people into the process," Sanders said. "It is not easy."

To be fair there's a case to be made that Republicans have done their best to make it harder for youth to vote, but that still doesn't change the fact that that demographic didn't show up for Bernie the way he needed to :shrug: