Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

Joe Rogan said he would rather vote for Trump over Biden. This isn’t about Joe’s influence, but the idea that people open to progressive ideas will not automatically support the candidate to the left. 

I’m not saying joe is right (because he has a lot of dumbass views), but we need to accept that there are likely a lot other people who think similarly.  

20 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

A guy who was in the Senate for 30 some odd years and VP for 8 years "can't handle anything"? So he's going to vote for the guy who we know without a shadow of a doubt absolutely cannot handle the slightest adversity? Joe Rogan is a fucking idiot.

Seriously. With Trump, the president and the cabinet are maliciously incompetent. Relying on Biden's cabinet while Biden's brain is pudding would still be an improvement.

• Thanks 3

24 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

A guy who was in the Senate for 30 some odd years and VP for 8 years "can't handle anything"? So he's going to vote for the guy who we know without a shadow of a doubt absolutely cannot handle the slightest adversity? Joe Rogan is a fucking idiot.

Even so, IMO he reflects the thinking of a large population of working-to-middle-class white men and women that the Dems will need to win a majority of. This thinking isn’t always 100% self-consistent or fully rational—a lot of it is just ‘gut feelings’ plus sometimes conflicting ad hoc rationalizations—but it nonetheless often determines elections, due to the huge size of the demographic.

3 hours ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

Even so, IMO he reflects the thinking of a large population of working-to-middle-class white men and women that the Dems will need to win a majority of. This thinking isn’t always 100% self-consistent or fully rational—a lot of it is just ‘gut feelings’ plus sometimes conflicting ad hoc rationalizations—but it nonetheless often determines elections, due to the huge size of the demographic.

You're right. But anybody that is thinking this way is a fucking idiot. And I hate the idea of having to appeal to fucking idiots in order to win.

Hey imagine trying to spin the obvious fallout from making news out of this asshole "endorsing" your guy actually being a trump voter into a problem for Biden. Amazing.

Plain facts are that Rogan is attracted to both Bernie and trump for a reason. It's not a coincidence. They're both practicing white male centered politics and Biden isn't. This is no surprise to anyone with two functioning brain cells and was talked about at length when it happened.

Suggesting that we need to chase down knobs like this is to completely take the Democratic base for granted and there's really no reason to do that. The arrogance is off the charts.

• stepee 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Anathema- said:

Hey imagine trying to spin the obvious fallout from making news out of this asshole "endorsing" your guy actually being a trump voter into a problem for Biden. Amazing.

Plain facts are that Rogan is attracted to both Bernie and trump for a reason. It's not a coincidence. They're both practicing white male centered politics and Biden isn't. This is no surprise to anyone with two functioning brain cells and was talked about at length when it happened.

Suggesting that we need to chase down knobs like this is to completely take the Democratic base for granted and there's really no reason to do that. The arrogance is off the charts.

• stepee 1

3 hours ago, Anathema- said:

Really not surprised at the lack of substance to the response. Take your L.

I was over at a neighbor's house last night. He was grilling and invited me over for a beer. We got into politics a little big. He's a big Ron Paul guy and also a big Trump guy. He said that Trump is doing as good a job as he can in our current coronavirus crisis. I said I disagreed, but didn't want to go down the laundry list of things he's actually fucked up. 

My neighbor pretty much said this same thing to me. 

Sometimes not engaging is just a way of not wasting effort on people who will refuse to accept it. 

18 hours ago, johnny said:

Joe Rogan said he would rather vote for Trump over Biden. This isn’t about Joe’s influence, but the idea that people open to progressive ideas will not automatically support the candidate to the left. 

I’m not saying joe is right (because he has a lot of dumbass views), but we need to accept that there are likely a lot other people who think similarly.  

Wasn't it said in the thread earlier that there were no significant number of Bernie supporters who voted for Trump last time? I could have SWORN someone made that point :hmm:

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Anathema- said:

I don’t think you need to necessarily practice a political strategy centered around them as much as you need to have a strategy (or at least a candidate) that can win at least a slight majority of them over.  Otherwise it becomes difficult to win states like Pennsylvania and Ohio, which you need to get to 270.  

I don’t think you’d have to alienate the rest of the Democratic base to do that—Obama managed to do it twice.

1 hour ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

I don’t think you need to necessarily practice a political strategy centered around them as much as you need to have a strategy (or at least a candidate) that can win at least a slight majority of them over.  Otherwise it becomes difficult to win states like Pennsylvania and Ohio, which you need to get to 270.  

I don’t think you’d have to alienate the rest of the Democratic base to do that—Obama managed to do it twice.

You're not wrong but this wouldn't be a thing if it weren't for Sanders himself making it into a thing and tacitly accepting all the problematic aspects of the person he made a big show of publicly accepting the endorsement of. It's not as much about developing a platform that could appeal to Rogan, it's about eliding his problems. If it's not a problem to not center these types we can't forget the problem is that he was centered. And how fast do you think Sanders is going to rush to a microphone to defend Biden over Rogan now? Even if he does, which he should, doesn't it just expose how buffoonish it was to publicly accept it in the first place?

Reminder that Wisconsin is holding their primary tomorrow.

This potentially could be another blowout, but we won't know because people can vote after Election Day. Also, the circumstances between the Democratic governor and the Republican legislature, and the enormous amount of absentee ballots requested, are what have been making news.

In fact, not only did Evers and the legislature not change the date of the election, but they have also been unable to agree on any statutory changes to the state’s election procedures in the face of restrictions on gatherings because of the coronavirus. For instance, on March 27, Evers called for the state to mail a ballot to every registered voter, but legislators (and election officials) immediately shot down his proposal as logistically infeasible. And late last week, Evers attempted to call a special session of the legislature to delay the election, but legislative leaders declined to take up his proposal, saying the election should continue as planned.

As a result, the administration of Tuesday’s election could be a disaster, as the state’s election infrastructure strains under the weight of the coronavirus crisis. As of Sunday, 1,268,587 absentee ballots had been requested for the election — far more than election officials are equipped to handle. Not only is that almost six times as many as were cast in Wisconsin’s 2016 presidential primary, but it’s also probably a higher volume of absentee ballots than Wisconsin has ever handled. In the 2016 general election, for instance, only 819,316 absentee ballots were counted.

Amid all this chaos, on Thursday, the courts even stepped in. In response to a lawsuit seeking a number of changes to the election, a federal judge said it was not his place to delay the election and slammed Evers and the legislature for not doing so; however, he did loosen a few absentee-voting rules. Voters were given an extra day to request absentee ballots, and the deadline for absentee ballots to be received was extended from April 7 to April 13 — creating a very unusual situation in which absentee voters can theoretically cast their ballots after the in-person Election Day on Tuesday.

The result of this legal fight could affect when we get actual results from Wisconsin, as after implementing the April 13 deadline, the judge also instructed election officials to not report any election returns until then.

Also, liberals could cut into the Wisconsin Supreme Court's majority in a significantly more important race:

Instead, the Wisconsin race featuring the most intrigue is probably the one for state Supreme Court. Conservatives have a 5-2 majority on the court, but liberals could cut that to 4-3 if Jill Karofsky defeats incumbent Daniel Kelly on Tuesday. Recent Wisconsin Supreme Court elections have been razor-close, too, and the outcome of this race could have national implications for the 2020 election and beyond.

The court may ultimately decide whether Wisconsin must remove up to 209,000 people from the voting rolls ahead of the 2020 general election; Kelly had previously served as an adviser to the conservative group suing to force the purge. Additionally, with federal courts no longer taking up gerrymandering cases, the state Supreme Court could eventually decide the constitutionality of the congressional map Wisconsin draws after the 2020 census, too.

16 hours ago, SilentWorld said:

I knew you guys had elections for judges (thank you Fresh Prince for giving me that knowledge), but I had no idea you had elections for state Supreme Court judges. Do many states operate that way?

Not a lot but yes it's insane. It's looking like lifetime appointments are insane too but yeah.