Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

Just now, CitizenVectron said:

I suppose this makes the whole thing null, because as long as even a single state elects House reps (which the federal government can't stop, as far as I understand), then those reps can elect a speaker, which becomes acting President.

I'm also pretty sure state governments can select their Electoral College electors and bypass the general election all together.

17 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

But if there was no election (theoretically) then there is no new speaker. Obviously states would hold their own elections still so it's a moot point.

Yeah the states hold elections so I'm not sure how trump could do it without their buy in at least.

I also took a quick look at the text and the president and VP have a term that explicitly expires and Congress only implicitly expires after a new election. An election that was somehow "delayed" looks like it would indeed expire trump's term and leave the current Congress sitting.

Also it looks like there's no mechanism for distinguishing electors in the presidential election. Even if he got a bunch of red states to delay their election it looks like he would just be removing electoral votes for himself.

Basically yeah I'm 100% sure he would do it if he could I don't see how.

4 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

That's how you do it.

False, gotta stay in even when you can’t win. No examples of moving an opponents positions by graciously conceding.

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

False, gotta stay in even when you can’t win. No examples of moving an opponents positions by graciously conceding.

You also have to blame any and EVERYONE for your campaign failing to catch on.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/10/us/politics/bernie-sanders-michigan-2020.html?smid=fb-share&fbclid=IwAR2XN6wpCBCspzg2mrXAmOAAI5oYeJNkGWbltI1Sfy-vbArEAh3cD5QYOwk

It's almost... Trumpian :ana:

Just now, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

He’s trying to change the premise of the questions to go to his stumping points before coronavirus. He’s sounding like he wouldn’t know how to handle this situation. 

I like. Bernie, but he’s not looking good. 

Yeah, I voted for Bernie and I’m sort of glad that Biden is the one getting the nomination.... this is bad.

• Shocked 1

Just now, mclumber1 said:

I guess it depends on your point of view...But being a 1:1 debate and having no audience is making it harder for him to debate Biden...In my opinion.

He thinks he's at a rally and not at a debate.

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I just turned it on and I keep hearing Bernie isn't doing well... what gives?

Biden is answering the questions and Bernie is trying to bring things around to his main talking points or calling out Biden on something but it’s not hitting the same with no audience. 

2 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

I guess it depends on your point of view...But being a 1:1 debate and having no audience is making it harder for him to debate Biden...In my opinion.

1 minute ago, Jose said:

He thinks he's at a rally and not at a debate.

Just now, johnny said:

Biden is answering the questions and Bernie is trying to bring things around to his main talking points or calling out Biden on something but it’s not hitting the same with no audience. 

That sounds right... sounds like his supporters. Once they're out of the echo-chamber they don't do that well.