Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

Bernie Sanders gives Democrats firepower with populist message

I have been critical of Bernie Sanders over the last four years. I have been critical of his use of the Democratic Party as a vessel for his presidential aspirations. I have been critical of his lecturing tones on issues of race. I have been critical of his behavior toward Hillary Clinton and the manner in which he speaks to reporters. No rational person would accuse me of being in the tank for Sanders. But with all of that said, Sanders deserves praise for his focus on the issue of income equality in the United States. He is the conscience that our country has so desperately needed and his message has now reverberated throughout the entire Democratic Party.

The income disparity in our country is the next great economic crisis. According to Emmanuel Saez, a professor at the University of California, the top 10 percent of income earners now make on average more than nine times the bottom 90 percent of  income earners. Those numbers should worry anyone concerned with the type of future we leave to the next generation. A system built upon concentrated wealth among a few, and a lack of upward mobility for the masses, will undoubtedly lead to instability and political opportunism. That is what Sanders refers to when he proclaims on the campaign trail, “A nation will not survive morally or economically when so few have so much, while so many have so little.”

Sanders is absolutely correct on this. In the most prosperous country in the world, no one should go bankrupt because of health care costs or die because of an inability to afford proper medication. No one should go to bed hungry or suffer from malnutrition because he or she lives in a food desert and lacks access to basic nutritional resources. If we can afford to go to war, then we can afford to provide health care. If we can provide tax breaks for companies, then we can provide tax breaks for families. Our federal budgets are not just piles of paper. They show where our priorities are. As Martin Luther King declared, “There is nothing new about poverty. What is new, however, is that we have the resources to get rid of poverty.”

12 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

He thinks he can win against any of them, as they all have flaws he thinks he can exploit. It's pure speculation on who he actually wants to face.

He's just stirring the pot here

You think he REALLY doesn't see Biden as the bigger threat? That Biden doesn't appeal to a certain amount of his base? That his internal polling and analytics have told him who he has the best and worse chances against? Trump also knows that, weirdly enough, he and Bernie have a weird cross-section of support and he's speaking directly to those folks. I think the evidence has shown that he will do anything he can to damage Biden, who he sees as the bigger threat. I mean, he's getting impeached because of Biden for god's sake.

10 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

You think he REALLY doesn't see Biden as the bigger threat? That Biden doesn't appeal to a certain amount of his base? That his internal polling and analytics have told him who he has the best and worse chances against? Trump also knows that, weirdly enough, he and Bernie have a weird cross-section of support and he's speaking directly to those folks. I think the evidence has shown that he will do anything he can to damage Biden, who he sees as the bigger threat. I mean, he's getting impeached because of Biden for god's sake.

Most likely to be the nominee isn't the same as the biggest threat.

23 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Sanders with the “economic anxiety” take

He is a bit class reductionist, but the general take that if you and your community go through hard economic times, it makes it easier for a demagogue to scapegoat a minority population isn't too far fetched. How many times do we hear that immigrants are taking our jobs? Baked in racism and white supremacy help compound the effect of these arguments, but it is partially rooted in the precarious nature of life in the US (lose your job and you and your family are out healthcare and maybe soon, your home). That said, racism is alive and well even among the wealthy in this country, and there's a dozen more reasons that Trump won that we don't need to regurgitate for the 10,000th time.

21 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Not what I'm saying at all... I'm just saying who TRUMP sees as the bigger threat and I'm sure there are reasons behind that.

I think we're both saying the same thing but from different angles. I can see his reasoning that because Joe is the most likely to be the nominee, he is the biggest threat, so Trump is doing everything he can to get an angle against Biden.

Also equally likely is that he's doing this, or something similar, for all candidates but we only found out about it because of the whistleblower.

13 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

He is a bit class reductionist, but the general take that if you and your community go through hard economic times, it makes it easier for a demagogue to scapegoat a minority population isn't too far fetched. How many times do we hear that immigrants are taking our jobs? Baked in racism and white supremacy help compound the effect of these arguments, but it is partially rooted in the precarious nature of life in the US (lose your job and you and your family are out healthcare and maybe soon, your home). That said, racism is alive and well even among the wealthy in this country, and there's a dozen more reasons that Trump won that we don't need to regurgitate for the 10,000th time.

Ehhh, I’ll just say there is a reason the black folks in the room were...not convinced of Sanders answer :p 

Here's how I see things shaping up:

• Iowa is an ABSOLUTE, NO SHIT MUST-WIN for Warren for her to have any real shot at continuing her campaign.  She needs that win to take momentum into New Hampshire.
  • Sanders can afford an Iowa/New Hampshire split with Biden as he has more room to do well in the non-Southern Super Tuesday states, more so than Warren.
  • If Biden wins both Iowa and New Hampshire, then that's game/set/match because he's gonna clean up in the Southern Super Tuesday states anyway.

22 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Here's how I see things shaping up:

• Iowa is an ABSOLUTE, NO SHIT MUST-WIN for Warren for her to have any real shot at continuing her campaign.  She needs that win to take momentum into New Hampshire.
  • Sanders can afford an Iowa/New Hampshire split with Biden as he has more room to do well in the non-Southern Super Tuesday states, more so than Warren.
  • If Biden wins both Iowa and New Hampshire, then that's game/set/match because he's gonna clean up in the Southern Super Tuesday states anyway.

It’s important to remember that the Dems don’t do winner take all. You can lose and still pick up a decent chunk of delegates. BUT, the momentum narrative will be strong in the media depending on who does what and where which can certainly shift the winds of popular support and fundraising.

21 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

What happens if Pete wins Iowa?

That makes things quite interesting, but doesn't really change Warren's dynamic that I mentioned:  Iowa REALLY is a must-win for her.

Not sure how that impacts Sanders though. 

I don't think it impacts Biden all that much because of his strength in South Carolina and the Super Tuesday South.  Biden simply has a FAR larger margin of error than the other candidates.

Pete winning Iowa would mean Warren is done as sflufan said. I think it makes the race a bit more wide open and longer winded. Biden and Sanders do not need Iowa to compete, but Warren does, so I think it increases the chance of a contested convention a bit, but in the end Biden will still probably take the nomination. 

6 hours ago, Jason said:

I think what Trump is really doing is just using the devotion and adoration from Bernie supporters to further divide Democrats. If he can have a hand in supporting the narrative that Bernie is being treated unfairly by the elites in the party, it makes it more likely that Bernie supporters will not vote when Biden is the nominee.  

Again, I think there is some errant thinking going on because the presumption is that a candidate will hit 50%+1 before the convention and that’s actually not particularly likely.