Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

30 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

This is where the foreign perspective loses something (Jeet is also Canadian). New Hampshire is like the hipster of voting, often enjoying upsetting the status quo. It's really not surprising. Jonah Ryan was a New Hampshire politician for a reason.

18 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

This is where the foreign perspective loses something (Jeet is also Canadian). New Hampshire is like the hipster of voting, often enjoying upsetting the status quo. It's really not surprising. Jonah Ryan was a New Hampshire politician for a reason.

Listen to me, you walking trisomy, I could get dog shit in a condom elected in New Hampshire.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Anathema- said:

I don't think the point was that WIlliamson is polling ahead of them (it's a statistical error, likely), it's that those candidates are doing so poorly in general.

speaking of fund raising

Kamala Harris bemoaned the influence of the powerful and connected elite last Tuesday when she called on top Justice Department officials to recuse themselves from any matter related to Jeffrey Epstein. She said their former law firm’s work on behalf of the financier accused of sexual abuse “calls into question the integrity of our legal system.”

Yet the same day, Harris’ husband headlined a Chicago fundraiser for her presidential campaign that was hosted by six partners of that firm — Kirkland and Ellis, according to an invitation obtained by The Associated Press.

https://www.apnews.com/c70a21451ac64c99af1525af0bd73a26

14 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Surprised that Mayor Pete has raised so much money.

He's the Obama of gay people. By that, I mean that he seems as straight as possible while still being gay, much like Obama seemed as white as possible while still being black. This lets people buy into him while also not being threatened by his otherness.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Surprised that Mayor Pete has raised so much money.

He’s a good value proposition for big money donors. Bundling $100k for him gets you much more access to him than the same amount to Biden.

9 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

He's the Obama of gay people. By that, I mean that he seems as straight as possible while still being gay, much like Obama seemed as white as possible while still being black. This lets people buy into him while also not being threatened by his otherness.

I have long said that if Pete has just one ounce of femininity then he wouldn’t have made it this far.

It’s sad but our society really looks down upon feminine men.

@sexy_shapiro - I'm curious as to what you think about this critique of Mayo Pete by Dale Peck (who is also homosexual) that was published and then unceremoniously unpublished by The New Republic as being "homophobic".

My Mayor Pete Problem: He's smart. He's nice. And he just might be the devil.

I'm interested as to your perspective - thank you much!

42 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I really hope, for however threatened or not threatened someone feels about Obama's "otherness," that nobody here subscribes to the acting white notion.

I don't think you have to think that Obama was intentionally "acting white" to see how he comes off in a way that's non-threatening to white people in the same way that Buttigieg doesn't act effete and therefore won't raise homophobes' hackles the way a flamboyantly gay guy would.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-medicare-idUSKCN1UC1SZ

U.S. presidential candidate Bernie Sanders, pushing an ambitious “Medicare for All” health plan that has split Democratic White House contenders, will urge his rivals on Wednesday to reject campaign donations from the health insurance and pharmaceutical industries.

This is a good idea and they should also reject campaign donations from the fossil fuel industry.

13 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

I really hope, for however threatened or not threatened someone feels about Obama's "otherness," that nobody here subscribes to the acting white notion.

I wouldn't frame it like that, but Obama was definitely "white washed" (I say this as a minority myself). Whether that was intentional on Obama's part or just who Obama was, it certainly catered to white voters who would have been otherwise not inclined to like him or vote for him. You can't deny that. And Mayor Pete is accepting dark money, and corporate donations, and doing all the things a bought politician does (all while doing a terrible job as mayor of South Bend).

But people like him. It makes no sense.