Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

9 hours ago, SilentWorld said:

I find it funny that warren takes a DNA test that concludes there is “strong evidence” that she has a Native ancestor, and after the GOP spin machine gets done the message becomes 1/1024th native. What a world. 

The problem, and certainly the average Republican that is trolling with to 1/1024th stuff doesn’t get this either, is that genetics isn’t culture.

Warren at minimum allowed her employer institutions to use her claim of being a Native American as a way to show diversity in their hiring.

But there is nothing about Warren’s life story that reflects any connection to native people. I’m way more African than Warren is native with regards to genetics, but I don’t check the “black” box or pretend I am something I’m not. My life doesn’t feature the struggles of even my siblings who look like our black father, while I look pretty much like a boy version of my white mother.

They are the ones who have had random people call them niggers. They are the ones who got stopped by police when driving through white neighborhoods when we were all teenagers. They are the ones who have to prove they didn’t get the job “just because of AA”, but because they are actually really good at what they do.

To exist outside of what it means to people of an ethnic/racial group to be a part of that group for your entire life and still check the box when it makes your employer look good is a character issue. Warren should have just apologized for aiding Harvard in their sham diversity claims.

https://theintercept.com/2018/10/16/elizabeth-warren-dna-video-native-american-harvard/

The purpose of affirmative action is not to increase the numbers of people who merely self-identify as diverse. (If it were, Rachel Dolezal would be a qualified diversity applicant.) Nor is the point to celebrate minute blood quantum among faculty who otherwise present as white and who don’t engage with nonwhite cultural traditions in any meaningful way. Rather, the major goals of diversity in higher education are twofold: Affirmative action is an effort to level the playing field between white men and historically marginalized groups, such as people of color and women, who were denied access to equal education, higher education, competitive employment, housing, or even the ability to acquire credit cards until relatively recently.

I think both sides of the DNA/culture argument are right. It's important that institutions hire diverse people from a variety of cultures (regardless of DNA), and also from a variety of genetic backgrounds. Both can be discriminated against. An example would be a Hispanic person who identifies as white (but can still be discriminated against for having slightly brown skin), or a white person who is Muslim and is discriminated against for it.

In the case of Warren, using her genetic heritage is wrong if she does not identify with the culture and also does not show any outwards signs of being from that genetic heritage (or it is not publicly known). Perhaps she had good intentions, but the optics are enough to hurt her regardless.

5 minutes ago, Jose said:

Not to go totally OT, but what name do you all like better for a boy: Santiago or James?

What are typical nicknames for Santiago? James has some good ones.

26 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

What are typical nicknames for Santiago? James has some good ones.

Just Santi. There's also Iago, like the parrot in Aladdin, but I think that name sounds lame. Santiago literally means St. James in Spanish. Iago is just James.

10 minutes ago, Jose said:

Just Santi. There's also Iago, like the parrot in Aladdin, but I think that name sounds lame. Santiago literally means St. James in Spanish. Iago is just James.

Nicknames and short forms always factored in heavily for me. We went with John for our first, after my dad. He is pretty exclusively John.

William for our second is mostly Will, and Olivia our third we call Ollie.

It was also important for us that my mother in law could pronounce their names easily. She gets embarrassed when she speaks English and doesn’t quite get it right.

2 minutes ago, Jose said:

A new challenger is the name Thiago. It's James in Brazilian/Portuguese. I think it's kinda bad ass.

The unfortunate reality is that your son will have a better life with a British-sounding name. My advice (as sad as it is) would be to name him James Santiago LASTNAME. That way he can put James on his resume and get interviews, but use his middle name if he ever runs for office and wants that sweet ethnic cred.

7 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

The unfortunate reality is that your son will have a better life with a British-sounding name. My advice (as sad as it is) would be to name him James Santiago LASTNAME. That way he can put James on his resume and get interviews, but use his middle name if he ever runs for office and wants that sweet ethnic cred.

It would probably be James Manuel. I have thought the same as you and that will probably end up being his name. Looking forward to seeing how both our sides of the family butcher it.

538 article detailing moderate Democrats and how they're not a cohesive bloc

And it's true: you can even find moderate Democrats turned off by some of the "moderate" votes; it just depends where their more liberal views are. One example:

“I want a Democrat who cares about and will act on climate change, immigration and criminal justice reform because they are real justice issues, not because they are convenient new weapons in the culture wars,” said Michael Wear, a self-described moderate Democrat who directed outreach to religious groups for Obama’s 2012 campaign. “And I want a Democrat who will at the very least respect religious freedom and our national disagreement around abortion.”

That's a cultural conservative on abortion/religion (though is fine for voting for a pro-choice Democrat) who puts big progressive issues in climate change and criminal justice as number 1 issues. Some of the things moderate Democrats vote on are weird.