Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

4 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

One of the best articles I've read in months.

I've been saying this for months now...

Either that, or Trump will claim that the coronavirus pandemic was a national emergency so focusing on that hindered his campaign, and that he would have won otherwise.

And the courts will side with him.

PBS interviewd 74 former Biden staffers. Many described him as ahead of his time in empowering women. One caveat:

The PBS NewsHour spoke with 74 former Biden staffers, of whom 62 were women, in order to get a broader picture of his behavior toward women over the course of his career, how they see the new allegation, and whether there was evidence of a larger pattern.

None of the people interviewed said that they had experienced sexual harassment, assault or misconduct by Biden. All said they never heard any rumors or allegations of Biden engaging in sexual misconduct, until the recent assault allegation made by Tara Reade. Former staffers said they believed Reade should be heard, and acknowledged that their experiences do not disprove her accusation.

The interviews revealed previously unreported details about the Biden office when Reade worked there, such as an account that she lost her job because of her poor performance, not as retaliation for lodging complaints about sexual harassment, as Reade has said.

But according to Savage, Reade had been mishandling a key part of her job and an essential office task — processing constituent mail, something they worked on together. Savage said he recalls reporting these issues to his boss, deputy chief of staff Dennis Toner. After that, Savage said he began diminishing Reade’s duties, taking over some of her tasks and rerouting parts of the process to exclude her.

“Of all the people who held that position, she’s the only one during my time there who couldn’t necessarily keep up or who found it frustrating,” said Savage, who worked in the office for three years, from 1993 to 1996.

Wigdor, Reade’s attorney, said that she does not remember Savage specifically, but said his story is wrong and her performance had nothing to do with her termination.

“Ms. Reade recalls that there was a lot of nitpicking regarding her performance in the office,” he wrote. “She was also very nervous at that point and distracted so it is possible that from time to time there was a mistake made … but her performance had nothing to do with her termination.”

1 hour ago, MarSolo said:

So she’s full of shit.

She could be telling the truth, but she isn’t the most credible person by a long shot . I have had a hard time believing her. I haven’t read a lot,  but between the article above and a recent politico article, I am not prepared to claim Biden did what she said. Maybe I need to be enlightened on why I should trust her. 

2 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

But according to Savage, Reade had been mishandling a key part of her job and an essential office task — processing constituent mail, something they worked on together. Savage said he recalls reporting these issues to his boss, deputy chief of staff Dennis Toner. After that, Savage said he began diminishing Reade’s duties, taking over some of her tasks and rerouting parts of the process to exclude her.

“Of all the people who held that position, she’s the only one during my time there who couldn’t necessarily keep up or who found it frustrating,” said Savage, who worked in the office for three years, from 1993 to 1996.

Man I must not my job seriously enough cause I damn sure couldnt remember why someone was fired from a job 27 years ago much less one I was only employed at for 3 years

30 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Man I must not my job seriously enough cause I damn sure couldnt remember why someone was fired from a job 27 years ago much less one I was only employed at for 3 years

That's probably it. :lol: 

I remember firings from people I can't remember the name of from 2004/2005, hell, 2003 when I first entered the work force.

9 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

If they vote yes and the Democrats win the house, senate, and presidency, is this likely to happen?

No, but it would kick-start the process. I think I will see Puerto Rico as an American state in my lifetime.

2 hours ago, Ricofoley said:

Well, you can go ahead and table those "will Justin Amash be the next Jill Stein-esque spoiler?" debates

Amash could potentially actually hold his House seat as an incumbent, and someone actually getting elected to the House on the LP ticket seems more exciting than Amash taking a doomed stab at the presidency. @mclumber1

2 hours ago, Jose said:

No, but it would kick-start the process. I think I will see Puerto Rico as an American state in my lifetime.

Hopefully!

I'm hoping that the Dems really put their thumb on the scale and do DC, PR, DACA/amnesty for undocumented immigrants, card check unionization, vote by mail, updating and enforcing the civil rights act, expanding or reforming the entire judiciary, and that's before material concerns like healthcare and free college/debt forgiveness and even climate change. Many of these are things republicans wouldn't bat an eye at to repeal, so might as well do them anyway. These structural issues, and others, that keep republicans in power must be repealed

Gotta win the Senate and WH though, let alone get the Seinemas and Manchins of the world on board with any of this.

14 minutes ago, Jason said:

I still find it weird how hard she was campaigning for VP.

She was listening to the internets... I never thought she was a great choice. Still too green and I just don't understand why the left falls in in love with people who lost elections.  I don't give a damn how close they came to winning or what the circumstances were. They LOST.

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

She was listening to the internets... I never thought she was a great choice. Still too green and I just don't understand why the left falls in in love with people who lost elections.  I don't give a damn how close they came to winning or what the circumstances were. They LOST.

With Abrams there was clearly a big element of race/identity politics combined with WHERE she had her near loss. Plus, Kemp really likely did literally steal the election. But even if he hadn't stolen the election, as you said, she's still green. 

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Except it is.

To you, I guess. Had she lost like that in a liberal state, her political career would be over. Even if she doesn't get picked as VP,  she is still just getting started.

3 minutes ago, Jose said:

To you, I guess. Had she lost like that in a liberal state, her political career would be over. Even if she doesn't get picked as VP,  she is still just getting started.

Sure... getting started. Not “go from a loss in your first major election to the second highest office in the land”.  Like Beto... Lose in your election then run for President? That makes sense in what universe? Oh... in Left land it makes perfect sense!

5 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Nixon lost in 60 only to run again and not lose in 68.

Obama lost a house race primary to Bobby freaking rush in 2000 and he did "ok" after that

Losing isn't the end all be all even today

You know what Nixon and Obama both did before they became President? They WON other elections after losing. They didn’t go from losing their first contests to running for the highest offices in the land the very next go round.

24 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Nixon lost the presidential election in 60, then lost the 62 governor's race in California where he famously said you won't have Nixon to kick around anymore, this was his last press conference. Then ran for president and won

He was a senator, right? And Vice President? For two terms? Like he had won an election or two before he won the Presidency, correct? 

32 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

He was a senator, right? And Vice President? For two terms? Like he had won an election or two before he won the Presidency, correct? 

So did Abrams? She was a state legislator for 10 years and the Georgia House minority leader for 6.

3 minutes ago, Jose said:

So did Abrams? She was a state legislator for 10 years and the Georgia House minority leader for 6.

State legislator to losing Senate Bid to Vice Presidency? Talk about failing upwards... If she was a straight white dude then that might have worked for her. But she isn't so it won't. 

4 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Who gives a shit? It’s not Stacey Abrams, so it’s someone else. This back and forth semantics is so exhausting to read.

Agreed, it won't be her. I just hate to see the pile on against her, I guess.