Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

Henry Cuellar beat Cisneros by only around 3% points. That was much closer than I anticipated. 

It's very clear Texas has an extremely powerful and active  young group of Democrats that will likely change the face of the party in all the major city districts over the next 10 years. We will need to see the general election results to see how close we are from being a full on purple state.

• stepee 1

So what is Biden even running on? I mean, besides "Get Trump Out"? 

I realize that it is a good goal and will inspire many, but what is the point of winning if you aren't also making plans to help people? I would be far more comfortable with Biden if he at least came out in favour of getting rid of the Senate filibuster and passing M4A. 

Warren got 10 total delegates yesterday. I haven't seen any polling suggest that her voters would all go to Bernie. Maybe Sanders gets most of those votes, and maybe gets to declare himself "winner" of another state, but in terms of delegate count, there's no way her dropping out would have allowed him to come out with a delegate lead today.

The good news from yesterday is that Bloomberg is gone. It's now a two horse race. I just hope at the end of it Democrats are in a position to beat Trump. I'm not convinced that either has an obviously better chance to win, but at the moment I don't know if I'd bet on either.

1 minute ago, TwinIon said:

Warren got 10 total delegates yesterday. I haven't seen any polling suggest that her voters would all go to Bernie. Maybe Sanders gets most of those votes, and maybe gets to declare himself "winner" of another state, but in terms of delegate count, there's no way her dropping out would have allowed him to come out with a delegate lead today.

The good news from yesterday is that Bloomberg is gone. It's now a two horse race. I just hope at the end of it Democrats are in a position to beat Trump. I'm not convinced that either has an obviously better chance to win, but at the moment I don't know if I'd bet on either.

I think both have different paths to victory. It remains to be seen if they can actually pull it off.

7 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I realize that it is a good goal and will inspire many, but what is the point of winning if you aren't also making plans to help people? I would be far more comfortable with Biden if he at least came out in favour of getting rid of the Senate filibuster and passing M4A. 

Biden's healthcare plan: https://joebiden.com/healthcare/https://joebiden.com/healthcare/

Basically, a public option, medicaid expansion in all states, increased subsides to families, and decrease the maximum % of one's income a family pays for health insurance. 

4 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Looks like Trump is going all in on Biden’s gaffes. They’re now questioning his “mental fitness”.

Always accuse the other of which you are guilty.

cool we are going to be stuck with somebody with the brain of a kindergarten kid as president again (even that is giving them more credit than they deserve)

Capping premiums at 8.5% of your income and you’re still on the hook for thousands in out of pocket costs if you actually need care 😍😍😍

his plan, under the most optimistic scenarios still leaves 10 million uninsured

this is clearly change people are hungry for

17 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

People realizing that Sanders is more of a general election gamble than Biden is.  

Biden too often doesn’t seem to know what year he’s in, or who he’s taking to. at least the gamble with Sanders is his policies and not dementia. 

The only reason Biden’s dementia doesn’t worry me as much as Donald’s, is Biden will listen to his staff’s recommendations and concerns. 

28 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

That's enough for me.  If I were an American, I would certainly vote for Biden over Trump/Sanders.

3 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

That's enough for me.  If I were an American, I would certainly vote for Biden over Trump/Sanders.

You literally have no idea or concept of what it is like to be uninsured or have thousands of dollars in medical debt, or have a loved one die because of lack of care due to monetary concerns.

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

You literally have no idea or concept of what it is like to be uninsured or have thousands of dollars in medical debt, or have a loved one die because of lack of care due to monetary concerns.

"Medicare for all" may be the only part of his platform I agree with.  It doesn't change the fact that, whether he is President or not, it won't happen.  Your system of government is setup to allow special interests to have too much influence on government policy.

As a Canadian, I am on the "anyone but Trump" bandwagon.  And I believe that Biden is the only viable candidate left for the Democrats to do that in the US election.

1 hour ago, Chris- said:

They are angry that Warren stuck around and siphoned progressive votes; these same people shrugged their shoulders when it was suggested that a similar situation cost Clinton the election. It is a satisfying comeuppance to behold. 

Oh ok good point. 

7 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

"Medicare for all" may be the only part of his platform I agree with.  It doesn't change the fact that, whether he is President or not, it won't happen.  Your system of government is setup to allow special interests to have too much influence on government policy.

As a Canadian, I am on the "anyone but Trump" bandwagon.  And I believe that Biden is the only viable candidate left for the Democrats to do that in the US election.

The point is Republicans never feel bound by "it won't happen" so the Democrats guarantee a perpetual rightward slide by always starting with the "realistic" position. The way to get these more "realistic" outcomes to actually happen is to start by swinging for the bleachers. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

Imagine being able to use that $500 million to quadruple the pay of every person who works in a business of yours, along with paying off student loan debt to God knows how many kids, but instead using it on yourself when you clearly had the money to spare to treat people better and help others.

Bloomberg's campaign was definitely a vanity campaign and his ego got the best of him. Having said that, he's paying all of his staffers well above market rate, they are guaranteed employment until November and they will be working for the Democratic nominee regardless of who that is so... :shrug:  Yes I know he endorsed Biden, but if Bernie is the nominee (it ain't over yet) I don't think he takes his ball and goes home. 

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

The point is Republicans never feel bound by "it won't happen" so the Democrats guarantee a perpetual rightward slide by always starting with the "realistic" position. The way to get these more "realistic" outcomes to actually happen is to start by swinging for the bleachers. 

Democrats are the car shoppers that hate to haggle, so they pay sticker price, or only take advantage of the advertised discounts. 

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Bloomberg's campaign was definitely a vanity campaign and his ego got the best of him. Having said that, he's paying all of his staffers well above market rate, they are guaranteed employment until November and they will be working for the Democratic nominee regardless of who that is so... :shrug:  Yes I know he endorsed Biden, but if Bernie is the nominee (it ain't over yet) I don't think he takes his ball and goes home. 

He gutted state and local democratic candidates staffs

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

Imagine lighting $500M on fire for a vanity project and having so much dough that you’ll never even notice it’s gone.

I’m not convinced it was just his or mostly his money. When he announced Sanders was polling higher than Biden and Warren was within striking distance. I think some big money was scared and money was moved around and funneled to Bloomberg to be the alternative, centrist candidate to Sanders/Warren. 

it may be “tin foil hat” of me, but we were seeing stories of big Democratic donors not wanting to support Warren due to her view of wealthy and corporate taxes.