Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

6 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

I think it's premature to say Bernie is actually having a bad night. Southern states aren't going to be his strength. If Biden eats away at his California totals a bunch, then Bernie is toast. 

MA isn't good for him either. 

It's worse for Liz but what do I know

4 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

I think it's premature to say Bernie is actually having a bad night. Southern states aren't going to be his strength. If Biden eats away at his California totals a bunch, then Bernie is toast. 

It’s not. Look at the Vermont numbers. He needed to do much better because he has no chance of winning without getting to 1991 on the first ballot. He is not hitting any of the percentages you would expect to see on a night where he positions himself as likely to get that number.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

It’s not. Look at the Vermont numbers. He needed to do much better because he has no chance of winning without getting to 1991 on the first ballot. He is not hitting any of the percentages you would expect to see on a night where he positions himself as likely to get that number.

I haven't looked at the Vermont numbers. I just figured it was Bernie territory.

Edit: Wow! Biden pulling 22%

1 minute ago, Massdriver said:

I haven't looked at the Vermont numbers. I just figured it was Bernie territory.

Edit: Wow! Biden pulling 22%

Yeah, Biden is over-performing and the odds he is viable in Cali and Texas continue to rise. That’s devastating for Sanders on a night two weeks ago that seemed destined to be a runaway for him.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

NYT is projecting Biden to grab the most delegates tonight. Good golly, I don’t think anybody would have made that bet even last week!

To be fair, The Biden team have been saying this since the primaries started "wait until we get until the more diverse states." Again none of this is shocking to me at all.

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Are people really surprised Bernie isn't doing better in The South :confused: I've been telling folks for the last couple of years that he stood NO CHANCE in the South. I really don't understand why folks are so surprised.

Confirmation bias. 

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Are people really surprised Bernie isn't doing better in The South :confused: I've been telling folks for the last couple of years that he stood NO CHANCE in the South. I really don't understand why folks are so surprised.

MA, ME, and VT numbers aren't great for him either

NC and VA polling was not too bad for him last week either

To be fair, The Biden team have been saying this since the primaries started "wait until we get until the more diverse states." Again none of this is shocking to me at all.

Nevada is a very diverse state. Diversity doesn't mean black anymore

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

It would be interesting if Biden can pick up a southern state or two.  Could Georgia and North Carolina be in play for the Democrats if they pick the right candidate? 

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

MA, ME, and VT numbers aren't great for him either

NC and VA polling was not too bad for him last week either

I think THIS is the more surprising thing for me... and Texas and California. If you would have asked me last week if Biden had a chance in California I would have said hell no. Now? I'm not so sure.

This isn’t just about the south, it has always been assumed the Biden would do solidly in the old south. Biden is doing way better than anticipated everywhere tonight. Sanders had a real good look two weeks back to run up a big delegate lead tonight because Biden was looking to be below the viability threshold in Texas and California, and now there is a solid chance Biden ends up the delegate leader tonight.

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

We're still paying attention to Polls?

Being that they are good predictors, yes. But they are snapshots, which means the relative value of polls increases with proximity to the election. Primary polling is also more different in general, though good firms still do a solid job, because people often wait longer to make their decision when it is within the party they typically vote for as opposed to the general.