Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

9 minutes ago, CayceG said:

I swear, these brain worms are a bigger contagion than Coronavirus.

I forgot to post this from Sautrday. Berniebros are actually hitting Silver for using the phrase it's his nomination to lose. These fucking people.

2 minutes ago, Jose said:

I forgot to post this from Sautrday. Berniebros are actually hitting Silver for using the phrase it's his nomination to lose. These fucking people.

The internet is filled with shitheads, Warren and Pete supporters included, and it's real loser shit to be talking about a candidates supporters. StIcK tO ThE iSsUeS

4 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The internet is filled with shitheads, Warren and Pete supporters included, and it's real loser shit to be talking about a candidates supporters. StIcK tO ThE iSsUeS

I'm still probably going to end up voting for him when the primary hits Jersey, but fuck you let me have my vent space.

I feel like most people on that thread are hitting him for saying that Bernie is likeliest to win, though? Media manipulation accusations, the wins don't count because Republicans were why he won because Hispanic people in Nevada apparently don't exist, basically similar stuff I heard from 08 Hillary supporters about what wins count and what don't, tbh.

Overall that seems to benefits the Democrats quite a bit more. That doesn't mean they would win, of course. Sanders could beat Trump by 6% and lose while Biden could beat Trump by 3% and win, if the votes are in different places. Overall, however, I am a believer that riling up your base is better than trying to attract mystical swing voters.

7 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

This trope is

**checks notes**

my least favorite thing

**checks notes**

on Twitter

**checks notes**

Fuck everybody that does

**checks notes**

this.

okay

**checks notes**

boomer

The case that Bernie Sanders is just as electable as the more moderate candidates thus appears to rest on a leap of faith: that youth voter turnout would surge in the general election by double digits if and only if Bernie Sanders is nominated, compensating for the voters his nomination pushes to Trump among the rest of the electorate.

There are reasons to doubt a Sanders-driven youth turnout surge of this tremendous size would materialize. First, people who promise in surveys they will vote often don’t, meaning the turnout estimates that Sanders’s electability case rests upon are probably extremely inaccurate. Second, such a turnout surge is large in comparison to other effects on turnout. For example, Sanders would need to stimulate a youth turnout boost much larger than the turnout boost President Obama’s presence on the ballot stimulated among black voters in 2008.

Third, Sanders’s electability case requires this 11 percentage point turnout increase among young voters in 2020 to occur on top of any turnout increase that would otherwise occur if another Democrat were nominated.

If the turnout of all age groups increases from 2016 to 2020 (as happened from 2014 to 2018), then the turnout among young people must increase by 11 percentage points above and beyond this broader trend, and must do so solely due to Sanders’s presence on the ticket. Finally, youth voter turnout doesn’t usually go up or down by nearly as much as 11 percentage points from election to election; the Sanders boost would have to be truly unprecedented.

And this enormous 11 percentage point turnout boost is only enough to make Sanders as electable as the more moderate candidates, given the other votes he loses to Trump. For him to be the most electable Democratic candidate based on his ability to inspire youth turnout, Sanders’s nomination would need to increase youth turnout by even more.

youth_turnout.png

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2020/2/25/21152538/bernie-sanders-electability-president-moderates-data

:facepalm:

• Thanks 1

It also seems to be from the WSJ Editorial Board. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/bernies-cuba-illiteracy-11582590096

In other words, fucking garbage. 

Also, everyone criticizing Sanders for this points to Cuba being impoverished now, but in the 50s was relatively prosperous. Mightn't it have something to do with the fact that the largest nearby economic power has enforced an embargo on Cuba and wielded that against allies that seek relations with Cuba?!?!

13 minutes ago, Jose said:

None of that refutes the fact that Castro did actually improve the literacy rate of the country. 

Would you accept the argument that Donald Trump improves the economy simply because economic conditions continued the trajectory they had been on the previous 6 years?