Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

11 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

What's gonna keep him from a third party run if Sanders or Warren (the two with a wealth tax proposal which could seriously, materially impact him on a personal level) is the Democratic nominee? Has this former Republican been asked if he has committed to supporting the Dem nominee, or only to go after Trump?

https://nyti.ms/2NcugXZ

The former.

The NRA spends like $5 million a year on lobbying. I don’t know why people think they spend so much money. Google as a comparison spends $15-20 million a year on lobbying.

The power of the NRA is not in the dollars it spends, but in the way it’s painted itself as the last line of defense against tyrants who want to take your guns. And amusingly, liberals calling out the NRA all the time plays directly into that narrative :p 

47 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

To the best of my knowledge, Citizens United has no effect on individuals spending their own money on their own campaign.

Haha, which is why I said "among other things", I was just casting a wide net was all. I even remember when I was specifically typing "among other things" to cover my ass due to your pedantic self. :p  :mhug:

51 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I think Jose means the money he's spent on stuff like gun control, which has combated the money the NRA has spent.

The overlying problem I'm assuming you have with it is the fact that we have to count on rich people to counter rich people, which I agree with. And I am concerned about the conflict of interest.

That is indeed my problem! Among other things with him as @b_m_b_m_b_m explains.

50 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

For the grief Liz gets/got for being a republican until the 90's (and was never elected as one) Bloomberg seems to be getting a pass because of the money he can spend on one singular issue: gun control.

It's not even like he consistently gives money to the Dems: he just recently (2016) spent millions helping Republican Pat Toomey keep his Senate seat in PA, which he won by 1.5%. Mike was elected as a republican. He praised George W Bush for fucks sake.

He's awful, and this barely scratches the surface. Fuck Mike Bloomberg

Yeah, I really don't like him on a lot of levels. These are excellent points.

38 minutes ago, Jose said:

But "letting them do their thing" is causing them to be near the Presidency now, which is my problem . . . That's what ungodly amounts of money grants you, and it's a scary thing. :p 

8 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Having watched that video, he definitely sounded like he was joking around with her.

It’s a quote from a movie. He was definitely kidding around.

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It’s a quote from a movie. He was definitely kidding around.

Context and knowing your audience is important, I suppose.  If I were a politician giving a speech in front of a bunch of motorcycle enthusiasts and I quoted the South Park episode where the kids are calling Harley riders "fags",  it might not go over very well.  

Biden's African-American support has totally collapsed according to latest Quinnipac poll.  The main beneficiary: Bloomberg.

Biden has long benefited from strong support among black voters in his presidential bid. The latest Quinnipiac poll, however, showed Bloomberg cutting into that support. The former vice president took 27 percent support among black voters in the survey, down from 49 percent in the January poll, while Bloomberg notched 22 percent support, up from just 7 percent last month.

Just now, Anathema- said:

You know, the thing that's really sticking in my craw regarding primary polling -- the number of undecided voters. 36% in this poll! It makes me really wonder how accurate primary polling is with regards to its predictive capacity. 

Multiple candidates being polled + many undecideds = I have no clue what's happening Tuesday. :lol: 

5 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Multiple candidates being polled + many undecideds = I have no clue what's happening Tuesday. :lol: 

What's more is that I don't understand the difference between the 36% undecided and the 38% uncertain. I'm sure there's a lot of overlap but it's not all overlap. 

New Hampshire being New Hampshire though I could easily see Klobuchar coming out in second with a late break. They get pretty silly up there.

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Not if you're planning for a contested convention

At the most the national delegate difference In Iowa is +2 for Buttigieg. I’ll eat my shoe if 2 delegates is the difference.

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

If you're thinking coalitions, and trying to avoid a second round of voting, every one counts.

Like, if you really want to game things out there's also something to be said for being gracious (especially when the details really don't matter; the IDP numbers are far past trustworthy even with a recanvass) -- something neither of these candidates are showing with this kind of focus. If coalition building is essential to winning a brokered convention then get ready to welcome your 2020 nominee Elizabeth Warren.

• stepee 1