Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

11 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

This matches a rise in the NBC tracker as well. As a non-American I have resigned myself to the fact that Trump is winning a second term, and I don't doubt (if he is still alive in some shambling form) that the GOP will try to keep him for a third.

This coupled with yesterday's low turnout has got me pretty down today.

There was another poll last month that showed voter enthusiasm for 2020 was through the roof...but the biggest chunk of people in the "very enthusiastic" crowd supported Trump.

I have no doubt that the Democratic nominee will win the popular vote due to running up the score in California and New York...but I also believe that Trump will win the EC. 

12 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

and I don't doubt (if he is still alive in some shambling form) that the GOP will try to keep him for a third.

This makes no sense. If the GOP had any of the other top 2016 guys in the WH now, people who are actually competent politicians, they would have achieved significantly more these last three years. They will be happy to move on from the Trump era where their presidential candidate isn’t sabotaging the agenda with his Twitter tantrums.

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

This makes no sense. If the GOP had any of the other top 2016 guys in the WH now, people who are actually competent politicians, they would have achieved significantly more these last three years. They will be happy to move on from the Trump era where their presidential candidate isn’t sabotaging the agenda with his Twitter tantrums.

I don't see any sign of this. If the GOP wanted to, they could get rid of Trump right now with easy cover through impeachment and run Pence or anyone else. But the GOP base is now the Trump base. The only thing that will get those voters back (to the party, rather than the candidate) is through Trump dying. The GOP is afraid of its base, as the entire country should be.

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I don't see any sign of this. If the GOP wanted to, they could get rid of Trump right now with easy cover through impeachment and run Pence or anyone else. But the GOP base is now the Trump base. The only thing that will get those voters back (to the party, rather than the candidate) is through Trump dying. The GOP is afraid of its base, as the entire country should be.

Trump is their best shot at winning in 2020, of course they aren’t going to send him packing. But they would much prefer President Pence to President Trump because they would get much more of their agenda passed when the President isn’t tanking things because he says stupid, obnoxious, and offensive things all the time. Trump is so toxic that things people would otherwise like/support/champion they don’t because he is the one pushing those things.

Like, it is bananas given the overall economic landscape that Trump still has a decent chance of losing. That’s all because of him. Any of the other top 2016 candidates from the GOP side would be significantly ahead of where Trump is polling.

49 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

So like, have we learned nothing? How fucking hard is it to NOT use technology for a fragile system like voting?

Technology absolutely failed here. But, I’m ok with *this* type of voting technology. You calculate everything by hand, using paper and pencil, and then use technology to facilitate the data stream.

I have an issue with voting machines. 100% digital elections should be barred by the FEC.

From the reporters I’m seeing on Twitter, it seems increasingly likely that the IDP started pooping bricks when they looked at the data coming in and realized a lot of precincts screwed up the process of realignment. The whole app reporting system breaking down was just icing on the cake.

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

From the reporters I’m seeing on Twitter, it seems increasingly likely that the IDP started pooping bricks when they looked at the data coming in and realized a lot of precincts screwed up the process of realignment. The whole app reporting system breaking down was just icing on the cake.

This does seem to be the case. The app is not the real story here (but unfortunately will be) - the real story is that the caucus was run completely wrong by many volunteers, and likely has been run incorrectly for years. All caucuses need to be abandoned, and Iowa in particular needs to lose its place as the first vote. Replace it with the state that best represents the demographics of the US as a whole.

42 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Prescient:

voting_software.png

As a software dev I agree with this. It’s only getting worse every new generation of coders.

-edit-

i’m not blaming the coders just the evolving standers and best practices that come with every new group.

I've seen a number of reactions that basically amount to "well, at least this will be the end of caucuses," that somehow forget that in 2012 the GOP result wasn't finalized for two weeks. I would be happy to see everyone just go to a normal primary vote, but I would still be shocked if the end result of this whole mess is that Iowan's decide to fix a broken system that also gives them a wholly unique focus every four years. Especially when changing to a primary would setup a confrontation with NH state law that basically requires them to go first.

4 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I've seen a number of reactions that basically amount to "well, at least this will be the end of caucuses," that somehow forget that in 2012 the GOP result wasn't finalized for two weeks. I would be happy to see everyone just go to a normal primary vote, but I would still be shocked if the end result of this whole mess is that Iowan's decide to fix a broken system that also gives them a wholly unique focus every four years. Especially when changing to a primary would setup a confrontation with NH state law that basically requires them to go first.

After @b_m_b_m_b_m said something about the GOP not doing a caucus, I read up on it and while they still call it a caucus it really is just a primary. Only the Dems use the Byzantine method we bore witness to last night.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

This matches a rise in the NBC tracker as well. As a non-American I have resigned myself to the fact that Trump is winning a second term, and I don't doubt (if he is still alive in some shambling form) that the GOP will try to keep him for a third.

Unbelievable. This is because people don't watch the news, or only get their info exclusively from their Facebook echo chamber as @Ghost_MH said.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

ky0JiNE.png

Jesus Christ on a crutch, dude, can we wait until the beginning of November 2020 to assess his approval rating? At least talking about a dictatorship can start before a second Trump term instead of February.