Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

Biden team admit 'it's not going great' as Sanders and Buttigieg top polls ahead of first 2020 Democrat vote

With satellite precincts beginning to vote, the main affair will not yield results until Monday evening, after supporters and volunteers for each candidate have their chance to speak up and convince their fellow voters in the somewhat obscure caucus system — which features pleas and speeches, and the potential for several rounds of voting in a public setting to raise the top candidates to the top.

In a final poll before caucusing got underway across the state, it was Bernie Sanders and Pete Buttigieg who led the pack and were tied at the top — quite the place to be in for the two candidates who have been seen as political outsiders each in their own way. Alongside those two were Joe Biden, Elizabeth Warren, Amy Klobuchar and Andrew Yang among the top candidates vying for their place in history.

How Iowa caucuses work:

The Iowa caucuses work by voters entering a caucus site such as a high school gymnasium at 7 p.m. and physically forming preference groups — all the Elizabeth Warren supporters stand in one corner of the room, and all the Joe Biden supporters in another, for instance. Voters may also join an uncommitted group.

This is called the first alignment of voter preferences — and for the first time this year, Iowa Democrats will count and record how voters are aligned at this stage of the process. Thus, the first alignment is the first of the three ways that the caucus vote will be reported. It’s the most straightforward metric of candidate support, and it’s the closest that the Iowa caucuses come to the voting as it will take place in most other states, where voters get just one choice and there are none of the complicated rules that I’ll describe in a moment.

Iowa’s process doesn’t stop there, however. Voters in candidate groups that fail to meet a viability threshold in the first alignment — typically 15 percent of the vote, but it can be higher in smaller precincts — have one of three choices:

• They can join a viable group.
  • They can try to combine with voters in other nonviable groups to achieve viability. For example, if the Warren group initially has 14 percent of the vote, it’s not necessarily dead in the water. Rather, it could recruit a few Tom Steyer voters, or a Michael Bennet supporter, etc., to get to 15 percent. It can’t recruit voters from groups that already achieved viability, however. Once a group is viable, it can continue to add new voters and grow larger, but it can’t lose them.
  • Or they could just go home. Nothing forces them to participate in further rounds of caucusing.

The vote count after this stage goes by several names, but I’ll call it the final alignment. It’s the second of the three ways that Iowa will report its vote. And it has a lot of things going for it. Since only candidates who get at least 15 percent of the vote are eligible for delegates to the Democratic National Convention, it makes sense to give voters who initially choose a candidate who can’t get 15 percent a chance to express a preference for a candidate who does. And the realignment process is a highly traditional and distinctive part of the caucuses that the candidates plan around.

1 minute ago, chakoo said:

We will see. I’m a warren supporter and I feel too many are dismissive on the size of her support. :)

I think she, Bernie, and Joe are the top 3 nationally. Or that's how it'll shake out delegate-wise. 

Just now, SaysWho? said:

So does Warren.

I don't know why I thought NH and MA didn't touch. 

Guess I'm dumb. 

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

Watching the CNN coverage and...Bernie looks like he is about to blow it out in these caucus locations. Wonder how representative these particular locations are?

There are some locations (in college areas) where the caucus population will be huge but the result will count for less than other ones 1/4 the size. Bernie is going to sweep those.

35 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Caucuses are good and fine. They're in-person ranked-choice voting. 

We should have a ranked-choice popular vote for our representatives. 

I don’t mind the ranked choice voting I just think the process is crazy as hell. I kind of want to participate in one.