Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

2 hours ago, MarSolo said:

Guys, what happened to Biden?

He's said this so often you could probably make a decent campaign ad of Biden saying to vote for other people.  Even his own wife has said there might be other people better on the issues than her husband. Jill Biden urges support for husband even if voters consider their candidates ‘better’ on the issues

He's also not committing to backing Sanders,

Wapo: Biden won’t commit to backing Sanders if he’s the nominee

(edit #2: wow they edited the headline, I legit just copy/pasted the headline as the link. They changed it to "Biden won't say whether Sanders could unify Dems as nominee")

edit: oh snap, http://boldiowa.com/biden-didnt-need-to-do-this-to-me/

Just now, CitizenVectron said:

He did the same thing to a reporter last week. He gets angry very fast.

Yeah, I saw that, that was a weird awkward chest bump with his fist. For some reason though this comes off as even more uncomfortable. He thinks this sort of thing is endearing but it really...isn’t.

Biden is going to be serious cringe in the general.  I legit can't tell if it's going to hurt his campaign or not though.  My optimist side thinks Joe can sleepwalk & cringe his way to a victory where my pessimist side thinks Trump is going to run all over him while the media eats that shit up.  This country might have to vote for someone who says marijuana makes you stupid and the other thinks it's a gateway drug.  "Fuck that" says 48% of the country that doesn't vote...

Republican Gary Gates handily beats Democrat Eliz Markowitz in Texas House District 28 runoff

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/01/28/gary-gates-eliz-markowitz-texas-house-district-28-2020-runoff/

This is a terrible sign. I was happy to see Warren and Biden offer their support along with Beto knocking on doors. Looks like the Texas House isn’t going blue if this is any sign of things to come. 

Biden Aides Weigh Pursuing an Iowa Caucus Alliance With Klobuchar

Aides to former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. are discussing the possibility of seeking an alliance with Senator Amy Klobuchar in next week’s Iowa caucuses, a plan that would involve a pledge to help each other in precincts where one of them does not have enough support to win delegates.

Three staff members for Mr. Biden’s Iowa campaign tentatively floated the idea to a top Klobuchar adviser at a meeting this week, according to Democrats briefed on the meeting.

People in both the Biden and Klobuchar camps played down the discussion, which took place at a Des Moines restaurant, and aides for Ms. Klobuchar said they did not regard it as a serious overture. But there is little doubt among Mr. Biden’s allies in the state that his campaign is contemplating such steps, with an eye toward preventing a messy split among moderate candidates on Monday.

The Biden officials, led by the campaign’s Iowa director, Jake Braun, asked the Klobuchar strategist, Pete Giangreco, about the prospect that the two campaigns could encourage their supporters in the state to back the other candidate in precincts where Mr. Biden or Ms. Klobuchar fall short of the 15 percent threshold required to reach the second round of balloting.

Mr. Giangreco, however, said Ms. Klobuchar was not interested in any such agreement at the moment, according to the Democrats familiar with the meeting, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss a private conversation.

Ms. Klobuchar’s campaign reaffirmed its lack of interest in an alliance of any kind on Tuesday evening. Tim Hogan, Ms. Klobuchar’s communications director, expressed confidence in her trajectory in the state.

This has happened before. In 2004, Kucinich and Edwards formed an alliance. In 2008, Kucinich urged his supporters to vote for Obama if Kucinich failed the first round of voting.

11 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

I think Warren and Sanders have excellent chances of beating Trump. And I think Biden gets crushed. 

For whatever reason, Warren doesn't have the numbers.  She consistently polls behind Trump in head-to-head matchups.

And that's before the Trump machine wheels out its mud cannons, and we see more of this.

19 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

For whatever reason, Warren doesn't have the numbers.  She consistently polls behind Trump in head-to-head matchups.

And that's before the Trump machine wheels out its mud cannons, and we see more of this.

More of what? There will be plenty of fluctuations in polling throughout the campaign. You can lead during most of the campaign and still lose (Hillary) and lead for most of the campaign and win (Obama). 

I'm always interested in the rise-and-fall candidates. There's still much campaign left, but Kamala, Butti and Warren have all done that, and I'm curious if the last two are  gonna be those candidates (Herman Cain and Rick Perry come to mind in 2012) or if one of them will do stronger than expected in Iowa and change the media narrative.

Because I can also imagine if someone like Klobuchar sneaks into 3 or 4, that would be a really strong showing, and considering how much media attention she's gotten by making no ripples at all, I think that would give her abundant attention.

1 hour ago, Jose said:

Head to head polls are essentially useless right now. Good for trends, that's it. Same as national polls, really.

The only strange trend I note is Warren consistently polling lower than Bernie or Biden, despite basically the same name recognition, and that's not a knock on her. I think it says more about the electorate at large.

7 minutes ago, Jose said:

I'm no Bernie supporter by any means, but his recovery from his heart attack has truly been remarkable. He's a tough fucker and it gives me a lot of confidence in him as a future leader.

That's around the time I warmed to him as my likely vote. I liked his ideas a lot but wasn't sure if he'd be my guy once we got to Florida voting, but after the Hillary fainting episode and seeing how horribly her campaign handled that entire thing, the fact that he turned his heart attack into a laugh line in the next debate was stunning. 

3 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The only strange trend I note is Warren consistently polling lower than Bernie or Biden, despite basically the same name recognition, and that's not a knock on her. I think it says more about the electorate at large.

https://morningconsult.com/2020-democratic-primary/

She has a significant amount of voters still that have either never heard of her or don't know enough to form an opinion of her.