Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

1 hour ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

where does cnn find these people

People love superficialities. Buttigieg's "pretty words" somehow more important than actual past political experiences or policy positions. Media really loves to create its own idols. Their biases are so obvious it's sad they don't have the self awareness to even see it, they're so blind. Buttigieg's inauthenticity alone should disqualify him. We learned this lesson before with Obama, do we want to make the same mistake again?

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

People love superficialities. Buttigieg's "pretty words" somehow more important than actual past political experiences or policy positions. Media really loves to create its own idols. Their biases are so obvious it's sad they don't have the self awareness to even see it, they're so blind. Buttigieg's inauthenticity alone should disqualify him. We learned this lesson before with Obama, do we want to make the same mistake again?

Obama turned out to be a pretty ok president though.  

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Obama turned out to be a pretty ok president though.  

Agreed, but he promised a lot more during his campaigns and that's where my issue with him lies. That and I think we should demand more than "just okay" from the theoretical leader of the free world. And he could have done a lot more too like he had said he would but then didn't. He was ultimately much more ineffectual than he had led many people to believe. So I consider a second Obama (in Buttigieg) an utter failure of a choice, especially since there are clearly more authentic people to choose from.

25 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Agreed, but he promised a lot more during his campaigns and that's where my issue with him lies. That and I think we should demand more than "just okay" from the theoretical leader of the free world. And he could have done a lot more too like he had said he would but then didn't. He was ultimately much more ineffectual than he had led many people to believe. So I consider a second Obama (in Buttigieg) an utter failure of a choice, especially since there are clearly more authentic people to choose from.

Then you may have even bigger issues with Warren or Sanders. I speculate that all the idealistic policies they stand for in their primary campaign are going to be watered down quite a bit by the time they get through the process. Don't be shocked if that happens, assuming one of them wins.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

Then you may have even bigger issues with Warren or Sanders. I speculate that all the idealistic policies they stand for in their primary campaign are going to be watered down quite a bit by the time they get through the process. Don't be shocked if that happens, assuming one of them wins.

I'd rather their ideas are watered down than preemptively watering down something like the public option and then pretending it's the end-all be-all of health care proposals after a limp-dicked try the first time.

• stepee 1

32 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

Except . . . 

23 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I'd rather their ideas are watered down than preemptively watering down something like the public option and then pretending it's the end-all be-all of health care proposals after a limp-dicked try the first time.

Exactly. It's a basic negotiating tactic.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Massdriver said:

If you see it as a negotiating tactic, that’s good. Your previous post made it sound like if the candidate doesn’t deliver everything, you’ll be disappointed. 

I will be but I'm expecting some disappointment. Thank you for your measured response, you're the best. And they might surprise you bru. :) 

• Thanks 1

One candidate may campaign on ideas they have no intention of even trying to accomplish. Another may campaign on ideas they'll fight for while expecting that they won't be able to land them all and may even only make progress on some of them.

The former should be condemned, while the latter is realistic and still ultimately useful.

Not saying Obama was the former, but I do think Warren is likely to be the latter. I can't say I feel the same way about Pete.

5 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Holy shit that last question what the fuck (click on the tweet image)

"Which candidate has the sharpest mental ability" and Biden is fucking second what the fuck I quit this party

Kind of puts the whole "electability" argument into sharp relief doesn't it?

16 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

"Electability" means shitty, boring, supported-by-banks white guy.

It also means appealing to centrist democrats. But yes, it also means that. It's pretty hard to expect the donors and lobbyists to support a candidate who is openly touting things like wealth taxes. And don't get me wrong, I completely support a wealth tax, I think it's decades overdue. But I also understand what Pelosi means when she says that far left progressive policy is popular in places like California and New York, but isn't going to be a vote getter in the midwest and more centrist areas. Even though they are the exact people who may actually benefit from things like public health care. 

And if Bernie does somehow get the nomination, and pushes the Green New Deal, it would be easier to just cancel the election and give Trump four more years. (I'm being facetious about cancelling the election, obviously). Too many poor states see this as a direct attack on their livelihoods. Thats why Trump fighting against things like solar and wind power, and touting things like "Clean" coal (wtf? All these years later and still nobody knows what that is) and promising de-regulation went over so well in a lot of places. I know people want to believe it was only racism that got Trump elected, and want to ignore or deny that economic anxiety was a part of the problem, but it's a very real thing (which is often coupled with racism, I completely agree that racism still played a major part in this mess). People are not going to vote against what they see as their best interest, even if it hurts other people whom they believe they have nothing in common with. 

The last three years of democrats claiming everyone who voted for Trump is racist has probably done nothing but increase the racist tendacies of people who voted for him. And the constant attacks and "call out culture" hasn't won the left very many new voters. I think the best hope democrats have is a 2008 kind of turnout, where democrats who don't usually vote come out in force. 

The idea that the progressive policies don't work in the midwest -- places where progressive ideas have long histories -- shows me that people need to beef up on the histories behind places like Wisconsin, Minnesota and Kansas. 

If you think Democrats haven't gained new voters, their 10 million vote margin and wins in ruby red areas the past two years would like a word with you.

• stepee 1

This is overall bleak. Polls this far aout aren't the best, but if even Biden is within the MoE let's just nominate him and lose everything so progressive policies and candidates aren't blamed for hilldawging 2020. (It is important to note that all but 2 state/candidate matchups are within the margin of error)

Though I do submit that if ideology was a driving favor in the divide, Warren would be running better than Sanders.

12 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Man if Trump wins 2020 while losing the popular vote by 8%...the US is fucked.

I know its possible but if the vote swing that much nationally, its really unlikely that it doesn't swing enough to override the 70k votes that put him in the WH from PA, MI, and WI.  Especially since Wolf just won in PA in 2018 by 18%.

I expect WI and MI to still be close, though MI, MN, and WI are seeing an uptick in unemployment as the manufacturing sector takes a beating from the trade war.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2019/11/04/unemployment-is-climbing-key-swing-states-including-michigan-wisconsin/