Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

40 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Let me cure it for you right now:  the Imbecile loses the popular vote by at least 5 million but eeks out an Electoral win.

Accepting that reality = no more anxiety

Another fun thing to accept: the Democrat leadership will learn nothing from losing twice to Trump

28 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

Another fun thing to accept: the Democrat leadership will learn nothing from losing twice to Trump

If that happens, there's nothing to learn. Then Democracy in America is broken and elections don't represent the will of the people.

1 minute ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I feel like we're pretty much fucked.

Which is not helping with my depression I've had lately. :( 

When I was a career counselor in the Navy, and people would complain to me about how much life on the ship/in the Navy sucked, I told them that as long as they don't think about how much it sucks, it's easier to get through it.

Moral of the story:  Try not to dwell on the negative things in life - especially things you have little to no control over.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, mclumber1 said:

When I was a career counselor in the Navy, and people would complain to me about how much life on the ship/in the Navy sucked, I told them that as long as they don't think about how much it sucks, it's easier to get through it.

Moral of the story:  Try not to dwell on the negative things in life - especially things you have little to no control over.  

Easy to say, harder to do. I definitely do some things that make me happy and keep my mind off the sucky stuff. Reading has been my escape lately. It's like I'm not sure what the root issue is right now, but certain things make it worse. 

I still appreciate the intent with your advice, though. Thanks. :) 

8 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

8 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Easy to say, harder to do. I definitely do some things that make me happy and keep my mind off the sucky stuff. Reading has been my escape lately. It's like I'm not sure what the root issue is right now, but certain things make it worse. 

I still appreciate the intent with your advice, though. Thanks. :) 

I feel like some of my best years have been since Trump got elected but they have nothing to do with anything Trump did (he's been terrible). It was mostly because I was confused as to what to do, so I felt that no matter what happened in Washington or throughout the nation or how bad it got, I needed to focus on me and making sure I was at my best. And when I see people protesting Republican health care ideas, people fighting for women, people fighting for the environment, people getting organized for gun reform, I'm always reminded that many people will get off their ass to do the right thing. Things may have to get way worse before they get better (a conversation I've had with a few people from outside the US who are fascinated by current events here), but I firmly believe they will, even though it'll take time and a hell of a lot of work.

That's helped tremendously and I hope to follow this mindset when Trump is gone, be it 2021 or 2025. It's the healthiest thing you can do. Obviously, everyone has different circumstances, and even for me (my life's never really been bad), it took a while after the election to really get into gear and feel like I could turn things around and make 2017 a very happy year and a year of firsts. But it's worth the effort.

8 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

I feel like some of my best years have been since Trump got elected but they have nothing to do with anything Trump did (he's been terrible). It was mostly because I was confused as to what to do, so I felt that no matter what happened in Washington or throughout the nation or how bad it got, I needed to focus on me and making sure I was at my best. And when I see people protesting Republican health care ideas, people fighting for women, people fighting for the environment, people getting organized for gun reform, I'm always reminded that many people will get off their ass to do the right thing. Things may have to get way worse before they get better (a conversation I've had with a few people from outside the US who are fascinated by current events here), but I firmly believe they will, even though it'll take time and a hell of a lot of work.

That's helped tremendously and I hope to follow this mindset when Trump is gone, be it 2021 or 2025. It's the healthiest thing you can do. Obviously, everyone has different circumstances, and even for me (my life's never really been bad), it took a while after the election to really get into gear and feel like I could turn things around and make 2017 a very happy year and a year of firsts. But it's worth the effort.

That's good and all, but as I said this isn't the cause for my on and off issues. You're right, everyone does have different circumstances.

In general it’s a bad idea to attach your emotional well-being to an election.  Unless you’re in the military, it’s very likely  there are a thousand other factors that will have a greater impact on your everyday well-being than who’s president.

In fact, I think it’s partly these intensely personal attachments to our political representatives, facilitated and amplified by social media, that’s causing our politics to go increasingly haywire.  I can’t help but feel that our politics would be less dysfunctional if people didn’t feel like either a.) the world was ending, or b.) the messiah has arrived, depending on whether so-and-so won the latest election.

At the very least it helps to remember that every politician, even the president, is constrained by larger historical forces—worry about those, not who wins the next election.

newest CNN national poll shows a jump for Biden, Harris fell off a cliff.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/20/politics/cnn-poll-democrats-2020-biden-rebound/index.html

Joe Biden has expanded his edge over the Democratic field in a new CNN poll conducted by SSRS, with 29% of Democratic and Democratic-leaning registered voters saying they back the former vice president.

That's up 7 points compared with a late June CNN survey. No other candidate has made meaningful gains over that time.

The shift returns Biden to a double-digit lead over his nearest competitors, Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders at 15% and Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren at 14%. Their support is largely unchanged since earlier this summer.
    Aside from Biden's increase, the only statistically meaningful change in the candidate standings is a 12-point decline in support for California Sen. Kamala Harris, who stood at 17% support in the June poll but now has the backing of 5% of potential Democratic voters. That's similar to the level of support she had in the spring before a surge following her initial debate performance.

42 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

lol, just a funny chart. Not even important since obviously the candidates aren't picking the songs themselves, they have a team of 20 people on four committees trying to make the perfect playlist to somehow get votes.

reading Bernie's top 4 I would be worried if I lived in Brooklyn 

On 8/19/2019 at 4:04 AM, elbobo said:

It doesn't matter who the democrat nominee is voters are going to show up in droves to vote against Trump more than they are going to vote for someone.

The last two times Democrats tried the "anybody but the horrible evil Republican" and threw out an uninspiring candidate they lost. So yes, they do need someone likeable and can't just sit back and hope everyone is fed up with Trump. 

7 minutes ago, Dodger said:

The last two times Democrats tried the "anybody but the horrible evil Republican" and threw out an uninspiring candidate they lost. So yes, they do need someone likeable and can't just sit back and hope everyone is fed up with Trump. 

Was John Kerry the first you are referring to? Or Gore? In my mind both were decent people who would have made good Presidents, albeit they were boring.

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Was John Kerry the first you are referring to? Or Gore? In my mind both were decent people who would have made good Presidents, albeit they were boring.

Kerry, because we didn't know just how bad Bush would be back then. 

2 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Kerry, because we didn't know just how bad Bush would be back then. 

True. I was too young at the time to know much about the 2000 election, but looking back it seems like the general perception was that Bush was a reasonable, moderate Republican compared to how he turned out (pre-9/11, obviously). I mean obviously he was going to do the normal evil republican bullshit like take money from the poor and give to the rich.