Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

55 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Can we just call it already and give the nomination to Warren already?

I wish. Everyone here knows I've been pushing for her (or Sanders) since the beginning, and I never thought she'd even get this kind of boost (which is great). One can only hope, but I think it'll be Biden unfortunately. But that looks like it could change at the same time.

6 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Possibly but even he keeps slipping with his numbers.

:shrug:

Not really. He has a bad week, and they go right back to that ~30% mark. I think he has a bit of that Trump factor where he has a solid bottom end to his support that already has his “gaffes” priced in. Even the poll Riley linked to has Biden up a point since April. He just doesn’t move much one way or the other.

If Sanders dropped out, I think Warren becomes the favorite though.

23 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

Thing I find most frustrating is if it is Biden, and if he loses, the Democratic Party still won't change since they think everything will be back to "normal" in 2024.

what's the worst that could happen if tom cotton or josh hawley became president

All of you are going to be disappointed when Warren's wealth tax idea is struck down in court.  There are arguments that can be made that it is constitutional, but there are also arguments, case law, the 16th amendment, and a conservative Supreme Court that will rule it as unconstitutional.  You're going to need an amendment to milk the rich. 

14 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

All of you are going to be disappointed when Warren's wealth tax idea is struck down in court.  There are arguments that can be made that it is constitutional, but there are also arguments, case law, the 16th amendment, and a conservative Supreme Court that will rule it as unconstitutional.  You're going to need an amendment to milk the rich. 

Shit man, the premise of your post means she beats Trump, becomes president and Congress passes the bill. That seems way better and less disappointing than Trump winning and the wealth tax never going to court. :p

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Even if it did, at least we’re having a fight in the right direction than a typical fight over if we should drop their tax burden further.

1 minute ago, chakoo said:

Even if it did, at least we’re having a fight in the right direction than a typical fight over if we should drop their tax burden further.

You fix the tax burden issue by addressing the income tax and capital gains taxes.  You don't fix it by spending time and energy on a tax that is unconstitutional and will get overturned in court. 

I support the idea of a national sales/consumption tax, but I actually doubt it would be constitutional.   We are stuck with our current methods of collecting tax money until the Constitution is amended.

Tax their income, tax capital gains (short and long term), tax their trusts and transfers and movements to holding companies, and tax their estates. Tax other stores of wealth like private jet and helicopter operations, private yacht operations, tax the sale of antiquities and art and collector cars (and all sorts of other things over a given nominal transaction value).  Finally, enforce the tax code through the IRS on high net worth individuals. All perfectly legal, and all pretty much amount to a wealth tax. Might not get the windfall that a wealth tax would get (and the bezos and Zuckerbergs won't die for decades, but the Sheldon Aldelsons and Koch brothers don't have their kind of time) but would certainly work.